www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Another patina Honda CB360 build  (Read 1502 times)

Online farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: Another patina Honda CB360 build
« Reply #20 on: Oct 04, 2018, 18:41:06 »
I like to soak all my grimy shit in a bucket of diesel for a day and then pressure wash.
Wonít clean the oxidation, but does a stupendous job for oil and grease.

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2018, 14:31:03 »
There isn't any 'magic' way to make engine look good. Other than paying someone else to do it, it's just a bunch of scrubbing, scraping , wire brush and polishing.Could also bead or soda blast then paint or powder coat
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #22 on: Oct 05, 2018, 15:01:33 »
Just a thought, but if the "good" motor looks so bad on the outside, why do we believe it's good on the inside?  It might be smart to strip that motor too and that way you can bead/soda/vapor blast the bare parts and build one good looking, mechanically sound motor from both sets of parts.

That reminds me that I should sell off the 360 bottom end I have had hanging around for years partly stripped.

BTW Carb rebuild kits are usually full of parts that are significantly far from spec.  Best way to get you carbs set up is to send them to PJ.

Offline Snacks

« Reply #23 on: Oct 06, 2018, 00:38:27 »
You have a good point. Unfortunately youíre right and I honestly donít know if itís any good. Besides the fact, it spins, has proper compression. No shavings in the oil,  And this one actually had both recalls done. I donít really know. I still plan on pulling the valve cover to at least check for top end starvation. But I bought this one to literally beat it around while I build the original engine. Seeing Iím really slow at building engines. Really really slow. But I will possibly have it ported and polished if it needs it. I donít want to go to deep on this particular engine. I will get caught up going over board really quickly. Like I did on the Kawasaki. And as far as the carbs go. Iíll take some pictures hopefully pj can chime in again. Hopefully heíll be able to tell the quality of the rebuild kit, by pictures.

Anyway, turns out marvel mystery, a scotch brite pad, and a wire brush and a couple hours of my time is all I need for a clean engine.  I got some of it clean today, it looks like it just sat for a really long time. A lot of oxidation. But under the oxidation I was a little surprised to see it comeing back to life so easily.

Also sold a roof rack I had. And the buyer  I sold it too told me about a Honda cm450 he had. And heís practically giving it to me as well, as  a spare engine he has for it. Iím extremely grateful. I donít know what Iím going to do with it yet. I might end up giving it away and keeping the headlight and other little parts.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2018, 01:28:52 by Snacks »

Offline Snacks

« Reply #24 on: Oct 06, 2018, 01:00:46 »
Jets 100/68
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2018, 01:29:25 by Snacks »

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #25 on: Oct 06, 2018, 23:59:43 »
So far I havent seen any kit with correct sized pilot jets (not to Kei-Hin spec) Even some jets marked as Kei-Hin do not have correct sized holes compared to genuine original CB360 stuff I've checked (over several years)Stock jetting only works with stock airbox, you can fit larger secondary main jets to compensate for exhaust system changes but as soon as you fit 'pods' (K&N or Uni) the carbs need some extra work to prevent a major issue between 4 ~ 7,000rpm (varies depending on exhaust and jet sizes. You WILL have a problem somewhere in that range
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline Snacks

« Reply #26 on: Oct 07, 2018, 15:36:05 »
i plan on changing jets, when i get the uni's. where do you recommend i start? brand, sizes. i know it all depends on exhaust and carb filters. but is there anywhere you can shoot me in the right direction?

Offline Snacks

« Reply #27 on: Oct 07, 2018, 16:08:50 »
today is a calm day, i was reading MiniatureNinjas cb360 thread, so much useful information on it. it was really overwhelming.

but after i got some motivation, I popped of the valve cover.  just to make sure i wasn't getting a disaster of an engine, and found very minimal top end starvation. did notice a little scarring on the cam, but way better than the engine im rebuilding though. wanted to get some insight from you cb360 guys, on what you think i should do. i want to just throw it back on and run it until the other engine is done. but the paranoid part of me is like NO!!... so this leaves me at a cross road. and something i really dont want to do is be stuck, fully rebuilding 2 engines. thats not happening.

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2018, 16:12:10 by Snacks »

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #28 on: Oct 07, 2018, 23:43:45 »
Meh, it will be fine.  Doesn't look like any spalling on the lobes or rocker pads, either.

Offline Snacks

« Reply #29 on: Oct 08, 2018, 08:49:34 »
you're a savior, thanks!