www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CB750 rat bike?  (Read 7510 times)

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: CB750 rat bike?
« Reply #30 on: Sep 20, 2018, 12:45:43 »
Also that spring should be on the other side of the filter as well should it not? Pushes filter onto engine just like the gl?
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline pidjones

« Reply #31 on: Sep 20, 2018, 15:57:03 »
Also that spring should be on the other side of the filter as well should it not? Pushes filter onto engine just like the gl?
Bingo! With the sping like this, all oil bypasses it and on to the engine unfiltered. BTW, the big o-ring was still stuck to the case (guess they didn't coat it with clean oil on installation).
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #32 on: Sep 20, 2018, 16:33:39 »
I have found that same thing on all 3 of my hondas. The GL was wrong, my CM had no spring installed and the CX was backwards too.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #33 on: Sep 20, 2018, 21:34:56 »
I convert mine with the Randakk standard filter kit and run Wix filters. 

How have I never seen this before?  I will be getting one of these!
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41083.0

Life is a journey from the maternity ward to the crematorium....

Offline pidjones

« Reply #34 on: Sep 22, 2018, 11:53:40 »
Positive (I think) progress this morning. Got the over-tight head bearing preload nut off, and after pulling the stem was able to remove the races from the headstock fairly easily. Helps the I had the tool fromremoving the Hunley's races on hand.  It looks like someone had grabbed the stem where it goes through the upper triple with vice grips or a pipe wrench, leaving heavy ridges that scared up the inside of tbe upper triple. I've become pretty good at removing such damage with a single cut mill file, so that is all Ok now. The axle spacer that fis in the right seal was badly pitted. I chucked it in the lathe and took a light cut. If it turns out too small when the new seal comes in, I'll chuck it in the bin and get a new one. Or make one if necessary. Tonight or tomorrow I'll cut the lower bearing off of the stem. This was easy on the GL1000 using a Dremmel and cutting wheel. Hopefully the same here. I kept inner and outer races from yhe GL1000 to use as drivers for installation.

Have settled on the forks being from a Kawasaki KZ750H LTD (probably ~1980). Seals on order.

Offline pidjones

« Reply #35 on: Sep 23, 2018, 18:07:38 »
Think I found why they had messed with forks and added a stabilizer. Probably chasing a steering wobble that was in fact caused by the lower stem bearing inner race being seriously damaged. But, that is hard to get off (actually a 10 minute job with a Dremmel), so they did all of this other stuff. At least, that is what I'm hoping. New bearings should be in this week. The outer race looks fine.
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2018, 19:49:43 by pidjones »

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #36 on: Sep 23, 2018, 21:47:38 »
WOW yup time for new.  Glad you found it.   8)

Offline pidjones

« Reply #37 on: Sep 24, 2018, 15:49:48 »
All Ball bearing set in already, as well as valve shims and another set of front calipers. Should keep me busy for most of the week, then the tank and of cource still working the rear caliper to try and get the piston out. Yesterday I turned it some with slip-joint pliers while heating it with a torch. Next, I might try heating while using a new front master pressuring it up.

Offline pidjones

« Reply #38 on: Sep 27, 2018, 12:21:00 »
All attempts to save a piston for the one remaining caliper that I need have failed - they were all deeply pitted too much to rescue (finally got them out with the grease gun). So, one is on order and that caliper is cleaned and ready for it. Fork seals came in yesterday,  so I installed them in the already-cleaned forks and mounted them up, Also installed a new "GP Touring" handlebar in black. It is very similar to the Euro bar I put on the Hunley,  but a tad narrower as I've had problems maneuvering the Hunley in our tight basement.

Today I pulled the carbs (used heat gun to soften the boots). Only did a cursory disassembly by removing a couple float bowls and a couple vacuum domes. Not as good as I'd hoped, but not nearly as bad as I had feared. Fairly sure this bike was last fueled prior to alcohol mandates as rust and varnish is all that I am seeing in the bowls. That varnish however has glued the needles to their seats, so the vacuum piston will not raise. I can rattle it a bit and even move it up and down ~ 1/2 mm, but the needle won't budge. Plans is soaking in carb cleaner to soften and dissolve the varnish so that they release without damage.

Offline SquidHunter

« Reply #39 on: Sep 27, 2018, 22:17:07 »
A heated ultrasonic will knock most of that out. Most everything else will need to be replaced anyway.

Do those have the press in slow jets?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON