www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CL350 Junker Wrenching  (Read 5923 times)

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: CL350 Junker Wrenching
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2018, 20:05:31 »
The old honda front hubs can be modified to fit a newer front end.  It takes some time and a lathe, but it can be done.  The picture is a 76 cb550 hub, on a 2012 zx6 front end, with a ducati rotor, lined up with a yamaha caliper.

Ah now I get it.  Those are what they call upside down forks........

Online Rat_ranger

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2018, 21:37:26 »
Lol, it was easier to check fit that way.  My measurements were based off internet reading, and measuring bearings and spacers. 

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #12 on: Sep 25, 2018, 23:49:36 »
I get it. 

At one time that was the only way I could true wheels.  Now I have a jig and it's still the same process.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2018, 00:52:19 »
The old honda front hubs can be modified to fit a newer front end.  It takes some time and a lathe, but it can be done.

Yes, yes they can...

Online Rat_ranger

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2018, 02:21:57 »
I've got a few hundred miles on it now.  I've got mine set up to run the bearings and spacers that match the front end so that I could use the 25mm axle.

Offline MandoSteve

« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2018, 22:41:42 »
Got some forward progress today. My spanner arrived, so during lunch I took a moment and drilled/ground off the old cover bolts over the clutch plates. I was pretty surprised to find very little metal in the bottom. Ideally there would be none, of course, but Iíll take what I can get. Planning on getting calipers on those plates in the morning and making sure they are true. Just from a first look, I think someone packed a school lunch brownie into the oil filter. It has never been cleaned, Iíd wager. The design here fascinates me. Very clever on the part of the Engineer who came up with this. Iím an engine guy, and I really like what theyíve done here.

I pulled off the exhaust pipes and I think they are salvageable. They have some rust, but I think I can remedy that and get them ready for replacement. The style seems to be to wrap these, but Iím on the fence.

Iíll probably spend a little bit of time polishing the left and right cover tomorrow. I know cosmetics can usually wait, but I have found that doing that tends to make me push my llimits on a repair. Otherwise, Iíve wasted time...and as a poet once noted, time is the fire in which we ALL burn.

Going to polish around those two gouges. Thatís character.

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2018, 22:46:02 »
I would just sandblast the crap off them headers, spray w VHT Fireproof black then wrap them. 

The wrap can hold moisture and rust em right through.

Or you may find you like em black without the added expense of wrap.

Offline MandoSteve

« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2018, 20:00:40 »
Aye sir. I have some black wrap and I also have some VHT. I might go that way. Got into the right side today a bit. Removed the clutch friction plates and springs before I had to go back to the John Deere with the bad fuel pump. He pays the bills.The odometer on the bike read 11k miles when I got it, and I donít think the cover has ever been removed. Someone gave it a go in the recent past and just stripped the hell out of the hardware. 4 into 1 to the rescue. I got the hex stainless stuff from them.

Anyone ever tried Marvel on their case covers before sanding them? I just ask because I tried it on those header pipes today and it worked like a champ. I wire brushed them just afterwards and the difference was pretty amazing. Curious to see what it would do to that oxidation on the aluminum covers.

There was a fair bit of metallic sludge in the filter. Thatís the sort-of bad news. I didnít see any alarmingly sized fragments. I suppose any metal at all is cause for some alarm, but given the overall condition...Iím guessing itís a runner. Iím use to seeing some in an old engine. It wasnít enough to make me gasp. Iíll put a caliper on the discs and springs tomorrow and continue the disassembly on that side so it can be thoroughly cleaned. A full rebuild would make me sleep better, but Iím going to back-burner that until I get all the other pieces in place.

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #18 on: Sep 28, 2018, 20:37:18 »
Ive changed springs and discs in all my bikes, after discovering my 360 was slipping a constant 500rpm at 60mph. 

And I didn't know it.  Until I changed them out doing a rebuild.  So thats a must do for me now.

My fave springs are the Heavy Duty CB350 springs made by Bore-tech.  (Even fit them in my 72 CL100  ;D )

Bore-tech is currently in the process of closing shop due to health issues.  They wont be available after they sell out current stock.

So I got a couple spare sets on the shelf.

Link...    https://bore-tech.com/product/350-clutch-springs-cs-4

I just stick w OEM Honda discs and plates.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2018, 20:40:09 by trek97 »

Offline MandoSteve

« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2018, 19:31:14 »
Yessir, they are all gone already. Iíll keep an eye out and will likely replace both the discs and springs. I got into it a little more today. The oil filter was stunningly filthy...and then there was this. See pictureóthe drive gears appear to be misaligned on the shaft. I took a tentative move at shifting them myself to make sure I didnít shift them pulling off the filter, but they seem pretty well together. Obviously, that isnít right. Iím a relatively noob on the Honda twin, but Iíd say Iím fairly well mechanically inclined. Thatís clearly not right. They donít want to come off the shaft, either. I can back them off about 3/4 of the way and thatís it.

Noodling it over right now. Not sure what my next move should be short of trying to align them before removal, which seems right to me. Thereís also some pretty abnormal wear on the clutch basket itself. At least it looks abnormal to me. I suppose that could be from machining, but that just seems so unlikely.