www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CL350 Junker Wrenching  (Read 7455 times)

Offline pidjones

Re: CL350 Junker Wrenching
« Reply #60 on: Oct 12, 2018, 22:27:46 »
Scatches are character. I would be hesitant to straighten aluminum fins.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #61 on: Oct 13, 2018, 05:58:47 »
Sorry to read about your wife, glad she's started to feel better now.

Yeah, I wouldn't concern myself about the scratches in cover.  You would have to move a lot of material to repair that. 

Spend that time making $ then just replace it later.  Im sure you could pick up better pretty inexpensively.

OR a few heavy coats of high build primer, sand and paint it, same as Honda did.   8). That cover wont get so hot.

Personally, I would prefer a bent fin to a broken one.  ;)

Offline MandoSteve

« Reply #62 on: Oct 15, 2018, 00:55:44 »
The fin isnít just bent but cracked pretty badly from what I can see behind the bend. Iíll mull that one over. I got the new points on the bike today but had no time to set them. I also added a condenser once I realized I wasnít getting anything on my meter. I walked the wire back to the starter solenoid right off the battery. I ordered one. These screws for the plate behind the points have just been mangled. I checked my hoard and not a thing that fit. I will pick up some hex heads tomorrow. I went ahead and put on the cover for the stator and spent the rest of my day fighting with a lousy Zama carb on a Stihl weed eater. I couldnít believe the state of the air filter. Amazing.

I think, after some consideration, that I will go with the original triple tree clamps and just replace the one bent fork. It would certainly solve a great deal of fitment issues. I had a look online at some measurements and there are just tons of these for Chinese-made dirt bikes if I canít find one in acceptable condition. Both the diameter and length seem right, as does the axle size. Iíll need to sort out the prodigious amount of rust and scum accumulated under the cover on the forks.

I also need to order another kickstart pedal. This one is made for a dirt bike, I believe. It seems too short and has too little leverage. So my next order of business is:
Starter solenoid
Set ignition timing
Check cam
Clean and true-up wheels and spokes
Clean and lube rear swing arm
Restore tach and odometer
Paint, paint, paint
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2018, 08:53:17 by MandoSteve »

Offline TranceMachineVienna

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #63 on: Oct 15, 2018, 06:17:34 »
RAD! 8) I will be watching!

Offline pidjones

« Reply #64 on: Oct 15, 2018, 07:31:55 »
Things to consider beyond fork diameter, length, and axle diameter: axel length, brake mounting, brake spacing (for disks), speedometer mounting (for street bikes), fender mounting, spring and damping rates (sized to bike weight, rider weight, and type of riding). Probably others. Best to swap an entire front (triple, stem, forks, brakes, wheel or at least hub) or stay with repairing the original.

On my present build someone had swapped in wrong diameter forks (bad enough) that had leading axle giving way to little trail (unstable). They cobbled up some steel adapters to mount the original calipers and modified an axle to force a fit. Then to try and control the inevitable tank-slappers fom too little trail they weled on a steering damper. They did at least fit up a front fender from the donor bike. They also mounted the speedometer drive upside-down (haven't figured out why yet). I just swapped the entire front end to a GoldWing set that the calipers and wheel fit and happen to have the same stem dimensions. I'll still have instrument and light mounting issues, but have the donor bike components to help me work that out. If I had found original forks, I still would have been forced to replace the triples as they had spread the originals to accept 1mm larger diameter fork tubes. I had most of the GoldWing parts on-hand anyway.

Sometimes we just have to wait for the right parts to turn up.

Kind of like the fun of trying to fit a JD 216 48" deck to a 345. It can be done. Eventually.

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #65 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:00:18 »
Something I like to do is pull the timing advancer, disassemble, clean and lube. 

I found they can usually use a little TLC.

Just be very careful, the small flat washers can be easily lost as they want to stick to things, and some are actually wave washers or concave lock washers acting as "springs" to keep moving parts snug so they dont wiggle around loosely. 

Most important is to note the punch mark on the edge of the lobe for orientation.  As the lobe can be turned around and re-installed 180degrees out.  Makes for a frustrating time when your points open and close perfectly (backwards).

Offline MandoSteve

« Reply #66 on: Oct 15, 2018, 13:41:10 »
For sure. You can see in the first picture how far the assembly was shifted counterclockwise. Iím sure that was giving the previous owner some headache. Based on the condition of the hardware he was going at it like he was trying to kill it. If I donít get my starter solenoid in tomorrow (probably even if I do) I think I will reassemble the front end, pull the old tire off the bead and give that rim the once-over. Iíd like to dig into it today, but something unexpected happened: I have the day off. It wasnít by choice, unfortunately. I have a deep cold in my chest. I have worked the last 30 days. It wasnít what I was expecting in a day off, but I sounded like a two-stroke on a steep hill yesterday. I didnít sound any better today. Iíll kick it.

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

Offline MandoSteve

CL350 Junker Wrenching
« Reply #67 on: Oct 15, 2018, 16:10:00 »
Anyone know offhand what the size of the shaft is on the kickstart? Iím not at my shop or Iíd just measure it. I canít find a labeled part, but related Google searches makes me think it is 16mm.

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

Online Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #68 on: Oct 15, 2018, 16:27:36 »
The parts fiche says the oil seal has an inside diameter of 14mm.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cl350-general-export_model50698/partslist/0054.html#.W8TqGXtKiUk

#13 in the list, I think?
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Cafť SOS - Stage Oneô, Cafť SOS - Stage Twoô
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline pidjones

« Reply #69 on: Oct 15, 2018, 16:48:59 »
Darn ragweed just won't go away. I worked outside trimming hedges today. I'm already weezing.