www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: CL350 Junker Wrenching  (Read 2015 times)

Online MandoSteve

Re: CL350 Junker Wrenching
« Reply #40 on: Oct 07, 2018, 20:04:41 »
Yes sir, I wiped them down thoroughly before I put everything back in today. Everything is kosher from a thickness perspective. All is reinstalled with the exception of the cover itself and one spring. Iím pretty sure itís for the kick and goes on the end of the kick shaft but I need to hunt it down. Generally, Iím a ďno parts left overĒ kind of mechanic. I took a wire wheel to the cover today and will spend some elbow grease with some finer sand paper tomorrow, then maybe a shot of clear. I need to see what has the best heat tolerance. Maybe Iíll just let it patina. Havenít decided just yet. If I have the time tomorrow Iím going to roll the back the other direction and put in new points and new condenser. After that itís a starter rebuild. Weíll see. Just doing a thorough cleaning of the left side is going to take some time. I also need to walk around the edge of the right side with a dremel. There was a good bit of the old gasket just baked on, and I was having a hard time scraping it even with a straight edge. Itís probably the original.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Online trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #41 on: Oct 07, 2018, 20:26:14 »
and one spring.

Sorry bro,  off w the clutch.  That spring goes on the gear shifter star thing.

Online trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #42 on: Oct 07, 2018, 20:35:18 »
I recommend not to clear coat the raw aluminum covers. 

Most will yellow and peel and not fuel resistant. 

Guys use Sharkhide w good success.  I got a can to do Rachels Hondamatic but chickened out as its a "wipe on" product.

And I have never even experimented w it to see how it goes on.

Also, I have always thought about trying Spraymax 2k clear coat for the engine covers.  It is AWESOME stuff, fuel resistant, super clear, crazy glossy,
sprays beautifully, and tough as nails once cured.

But I dont know the heat tolerance.

Online trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #43 on: Oct 07, 2018, 20:53:08 »
Heres the link to my Google drive.  Click it to download a free copy of the Official Honda workshop manual.

Once open click the download arrow in the top right corner of screen to save a copy on your computer desktop.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HL9nknbhml_cufwW8t4FVdfBr52NmOgd/view?usp=sharing

You also need a copy of the Honda parts list.

Like this one...just make sure its in English.  LOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parts-List-2-Honda-CB-250-K4-CB-350-K4-P4-CL-350-K4-1973-160-Seiten/202434749893?hash=item2f220d25c5:g:KEUAAOSwowtbmOFw
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2018, 21:00:06 by trek97 »

Online MandoSteve

« Reply #44 on: Oct 08, 2018, 01:14:37 »
Well...hell. I just eyeballed it and made up my mind immediately that it was the friction spring for the kick start. I usually donít do much in the way of notes or photos (except for documenting one like this) when Iím working on things because generally it just....makes sense? That one I picked up from the little magnetized dish that I keep things in and thought immediately that I was at it correctly. Yes, a parts list would probably help.

Online MandoSteve

« Reply #45 on: Oct 09, 2018, 18:33:47 »
Officially back here. Iím a little on the fence about this part of the clutch assembly. When I simulate pressing the clutch lever, the portion of the assembly that presses the lever back into place and keeps it from jumping backs slightly away from this star-shaped head. Iím really not sure if this should be the case or not. I usually try not to over-tighten. Anyone have similar issues?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #46 on: Oct 09, 2018, 23:06:51 »
Pressing the clutch lever?

The star-shaped part there is for the shifter mechanism, isn't it?

I'm not familiar with the CL350 clutch but I would have expected a rod passing through the transmission shaft to actuate the clutch basket.

It looks similar to most motors, including the XS650 I'm more familiar with.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #47 on: Oct 09, 2018, 23:19:53 »
The rod passes through the hollow shaft in the middle of the pic.

Online MandoSteve

« Reply #48 on: Oct 10, 2018, 01:41:39 »
Sorry, guys. I might have been vague there. See the attached diagram for reference. When I move the arm situated at the end of Part 15 on the far left then it should simulate someone pressing the clutch and shifting. Part 7 allows this action and then falls back into position by the spring that was originally in question. Unfortunately, the fork at the end of part seven which slides over the end of the star-shaped spindle only fits snugly against it until I simulate the shift. Then there is a gap between the innermost edge of the fork and the spindle. I donít know if thatís a proper expectation in that situation or not.

I could have cleared up the confusion by just pausing for a moment to take a photo, but just before I left I knocked over a pan containing about a weekís worth of oil which had not gone to the recycle barrel. Thatís...a real pain in the ass. Sorry about that. If the diagram still doesnít help, Iíll get a photo first thing in the morning. Thanks again.

Online MandoSteve

« Reply #49 on: Oct 10, 2018, 02:01:44 »
I just found the answer in the first five minutes of this video. Note the gap between the fork and shaft. Sorry again, Iíll try to get the nomenclature correct next go-round. Also, this is a pretty good video series as far as doing a total overhaul done. Lots of info there. Iím probably late to that party.