www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: CL350 Junker Wrenching  (Read 4073 times)

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: CL350 Junker Wrenching
« Reply #50 on: Oct 11, 2018, 01:24:26 »
"Saturdays Wrench" is a DTT member.

Offline MandoSteve

« Reply #51 on: Oct 11, 2018, 18:19:56 »
I should have figured. I made some good progress today. Most people around were without power (Iím in SC and weíre having our late Summer hurricane season) and after a few housecalls to sort out ethanolíd-up generators I took a half day to work on the Honda. I got the clutch assembly back together, added a fresh gasket and put the cover back on with some new hardware (and some frigginí antiseize this time). Iím satisfied on that right lower. I turned the stand around and started on the other side. I already have new points, condenser and starter rebuild, but I figured I would go about cleaning and regreasing in a similar fashion as before. I removed the chain and ran it through some WD-40 rust penetrant, although I think it might be fairly well preserved based purely on the amount of grease congealed with dirt that was on it. I made one pass with a wire wheel, splattered my coveralls thoroughly, and set it to soak a bit in the green stuff. Iíll make another pass with a wheel tomorrow, but I honestly think the chain might be ok. I need to get to the sprocket next and see how it has fared.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #52 on: Oct 11, 2018, 21:07:16 »
Lookin good my man.   8)

A bunch of us got together this past spring and rode the Blue Ridge Parkway, trail riding and visited Wheels Through Time.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2018, 21:08:52 by trek97 »

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #53 on: Oct 11, 2018, 21:14:08 »
Most people around were without power (Iím in SC and weíre having our late Summer hurricane season)
Where you at?  I'm in Augusta.  I blew straight through here, but somehow we never lost power.  Usually, we can't get through a basic thunderstorm without losing power.  We may have had this conversation, but I grew up in SC.  I've lived from Charleston to Landrum and everywhere in-between.

Offline MandoSteve

« Reply #54 on: Oct 11, 2018, 21:48:27 »
Appreciate it, fellas. Iím in Pickens, which is just below the NC border. Iím about 45 minutes to Asheville and 45 to Greenville. Itís a great little town. Iíd love to have this finished before it gets too cold to ride. Thatís optimism talking right there, but I thoght my wife would like to take a ride up there. Sort of makes a racer seat out of the question. I guess Iíll know pretty quick whether a 350 could make it. We got some high winds, and since most of our power lines are over ground, we always get a half day down at least. Lots of tall trees and thin top soil here. Itís just changed from red mud to mountain black dirt.

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #55 on: Oct 11, 2018, 21:54:17 »
Following along.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Cafť SOS - Stage Oneô, Cafť SOS - Stage Twoô
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #56 on: Oct 11, 2018, 22:03:55 »
You can do it.  Not like we get harsh winters anyway.  You've got at least until January.  LOL

I go through Pickens on the way to Table Rock.  That town really has come a long way, since I was a teen in high school.

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #57 on: Oct 12, 2018, 15:12:46 »
but I thoght my wife would like to take a ride up there. Sort of makes a racer seat out of the question. I guess Iíll know pretty quick whether a 350 could make it.

Both, Rachels Hondamatic and Piglet did awesome on the Parkway.

Offline MandoSteve

« Reply #58 on: Oct 12, 2018, 20:26:43 »
Man, those are some pretty bikes. I’m going to try to bring some pretty back into this 350. My wife has been very, very sick. I started eyeballing that Honda in my boneyard about the last time she was in the hospital, and reading on Honda air-cooled engines as a way to pass the time at night. The every-four-hour interruptions to check on how she was doing mean no sleep for me. I’m just a light sleeper, I guess. I started telling her that I thought I could probably get it running, and she said if I did and she got out of the mess she was in that we would go for a ride. She’s out of the worst of the mess, so I’m planning on holding up my end. If I’m lucky, I might get wheels on asphalt before her treatment is complete.

I had an adversary today. A 1952 Briggs that I was absolutely positive I could get to fire, but there was no sweet-talking it. Replaced the points and condenser, and while it doesn’t have ideal compression it’s there. I reseated the ignition coil, even poured a little premix down in the head to see if that might get it started, but no dice. Nowhere I can grab it with an impact wrench to push it along either. I’ll mull it over and get that thing moving.

In the meantime, I did a couple of passes on the left side of the Honda, mostly just pulling out wads of rat-nest material and accelerating my need to get my shop towels to the laundromat (they are just too funky to wash at home). I wire wheeled the sprocket/clutch wire cover and dropped the components down into my ultrasonic cleaner.

Going to try to get on the points tomorrow. I have a carb clean on a Honda generator and then a 97cc Chinese kids bike to eyeball and then I’ll tackle it. Someone has miserably stripped the screws fixing the plate to the block, so that seems like a good time already.

Table Rock is a fine place. I worked up there doing trail maintenance during the summer when I was a kid. It never dawned on me I was going up and down a mountain every day for work, which was probably ideal thinking considering the circumstances.

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2018, 01:28:00 by MandoSteve »

Offline MandoSteve

« Reply #59 on: Oct 12, 2018, 20:28:33 »
I tried to lightly move across those deep scratches on the cover...but only barely. They are fairly substantial. I also noticed a bent heat fin, which Iíll need to correct in short order.