www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1985 honda magna 500cc  (Read 282 times)

1985 honda magna 500cc
« on: Sep 23, 2018, 23:38:15 »
just bought a honda magna I'm looking to turn into either a cafe racer or a bobber, whatever turns out to be a cheaper project. looking for some ideas, concepts or recommendations on how i would do this. it will be my first prject, im trying to do this cheaply, going to be the bike i learn to ride with. thanks.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
Re: 1985 honda magna 500cc
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2018, 14:55:54 »
just bought a honda magna I'm looking to turn into either a cafe racer or a bobber, whatever turns out to be a cheaper project. looking for some ideas, concepts or recommendations on how i would do this. it will be my first prject, im trying to do this cheaply, going to be the bike i learn to ride with. thanks.

Post pics.  It'll make a good bobber but it's got the wrong frame geometry for a cafe.  Does it run?
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
KLR650, 65 Norton, my never finished shovelhead chopper, an 86' FXR, and an F9 Bighorn
more YZF750R's, more KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the ever unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2018, 15:07:23 »
If you want to learn to ride on it, I would recommend that you just make it safe and reliable and ride it.  Working out a cost effective way to turn it into something it isn't will take some time and at the end may not be what you want and may not be easy to ride.

Offline pidjones

« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2018, 16:10:03 »
If you want to learn to ride on it, I would recommend that you just make it safe and reliable and ride it.  Working out a cost effective way to turn it into something it isn't will take some time and at the end may not be what you want and may not be easy to ride.
I fully agree. Learn to ride and maintain a stock bike first.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2018, 15:14:06 »
As the others have said, start riding it.

I have found it is better to ride it for a while and change one thing at a time.
See if you like the bars, do you want them higher or lower, forward or backward.
How is the seat? Do you want it higher or lower.
Do you like where the footpegs are. You may want them further forward or backward.

Find out those sort of things and the style of the bike will begin to fall in to place. That way you will end up building what you need, not what you think looks good.
I'm not sure, but don't ask Brodie.

Way to many build and half done projects to list here.
Sr250, Gs750, Z50A, XV1100, A10, Z160A.