www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Rusty Looking Fuel Tank Ideas  (Read 294 times)

Offline Johnny8718

Rusty Looking Fuel Tank Ideas
« on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:13:01 »
Hi.

Currently in the process of building a cafe racer/brat bike from a CB250N. I bought a new fuel tank on eBay the other day and managed to drop in in the garage almost immediately. The paintwork wasn’t brilliant and I thought maybe I’d just get it repainted and repair the dents. However. Idea.

I am looking to patina the tank after stripping back to bear metal. I’ll leave the damage obvious and make a feature of it. Do you have any tips to make the tank look distressed prior to adding a clear coat? Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks, John.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Online pidjones

Re: Rusty Looking Fuel Tank Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:17:04 »
Leave it outdoors for 10-20 years? Honestly, not a fan of fake patina.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:50:19 »
If you strip a fuel tank it'll start to rust pretty quickly, at least in my experience (and even in Arizona).
"Remember when Goldwings were sexy? Me neither" -- Comet Tavern bathroom, Seattle.

Offline TranceMachineVienna

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2018, 12:12:12 »
I´m currently building my own workshop tables etc. out of bare steel and used a salty acid to patinate it and make for a nice rusty surface,I seal it however afterwards so it won´t make dirt on my clothes.

To make bare steel rust I would first clean it, sand it and then use for example vinegar with a rag.Then let it sit outside for a while and when you have the rust you want you can use Owatrol to seal it,its a varnish and it works very nicely.

Offline LMCol

« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2018, 15:41:47 »
A salt and vinegar mix works well. Just make sure you sand through any rust inhibiting layer, some tanks get zinc plated before paint. Getting it to look good is the hard part though, nothing worse than forced and unnaturally even rust.

Offline cb360j

« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2018, 16:59:49 »
Buy a rusty old fuel tank, use rust-a-way on the inside for 48 hours, then leave the outside alone. 

Offline steveinwa

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2018, 15:35:41 »
I stripped mine down and just painted distressed stripes, you can use boshield on it, developed by Boeing to protect metal, been on it for 2 years and no rust but some on the inside, will have to fix that before I put gas in it.
“He was old and wise, which meant tired and disappointed...”
― T.E. Lawrence
Bikes, Boats and Cars in Anacortes, WA
1999 V Star 650 $500
1980 KZ550 $475
2007 Yamaha Virago 250 $600 1,500 miles
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R Wrecked
2005 Kawasaki 125 bought $500 sold $1,200