www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1971 CB350 build  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Knoxes

1971 CB350 build
« on: Nov 19, 2018, 11:21:15 »
I've been a member here since 2014, when I bought these bikes and I've never posted before.  I've been pretty active on another forum more specific to these bikes, but I think it's time to transition a bit to a place that may be a better fit at this point in the build.

So a quick recap:

This is how I found them in April, 2014.

I paid $300 for one titled, another on a bill of sale and a 68 CB175 in even worse condition.  Both 350s were seized and wouldn't roll or shift gears. Both engines had holed pistons.  The brake shoes had delaminated from the backing and re-laminated to the drums.  Bolts and screws were rusty, stripped, bonded to parts, etc.  Rubber parts were dry, brittle and crumbled.  Tires had to be cut away.  They were basket cases, but mostly intact.  Many months later, I finished the rebuild on one engine:

And started working on the frame:

I only work on it a few hours every weekend, and it's taken a long time to get this far (hundreds of hours polishing parts):

Almost everything on the bike has been completely rebuilt.  Absolutely everything has been disassembled and cleaned, at the minimum. I've learned a lot in the process and really enjoyed some tertiary projects.  I built a parts tumbler, electrolysis tank and learned to weld.   

Right now, my goal is to get it running before stripping it back down and sending it out to powdercoat the frame.  So it's time to buy a bunch of parts.  I have a wiring harness, rectifier/regulator, ignition switch,coil packs, etc.  I need clip ons, throttle, grips, cables and switches right now. 

This is what I'm working towards:

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2018, 17:41:07 by Knoxes »
1971 CB350 K3

Offline MiniatureNinja

Re: 1971 CB350 build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2018, 12:12:27 »
that motivational photo looks awesome

unfortunately that's the only photo that is working in your post for me so I can't see the rest.
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline Knoxes

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2018, 13:04:27 »
Huh.  That's odd.  They're showing up in the preview.  I'll try some edits.
1971 CB350 K3

Offline Knoxes

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2018, 17:42:20 »
Uh, yeah, I give up.  The formatting is totally screwed up, but that's the best that I can do.   They are, at least, in the correct order.
1971 CB350 K3

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2018, 17:46:50 »
Looking good.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline Knoxes

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2018, 17:59:43 »
Looking good.

Thanks!  It has at least a couple of your parts on it.
1971 CB350 K3

Offline MiniatureNinja

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2018, 02:30:00 »
did amazing work on that engine! must have taken quite a bit
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline Knoxes

« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2018, 16:09:50 »
Thanks - yeah, it did.  It was a huge learning curve for me.  I started by scrubbing with Simply Green.  Then I spent a ton of time with a Dremel and lots and lots of brass and ss brush bits.  Eventually I tried soda blasting, which didn't help much.  Finally bought a bench grinder and some buffing wheels.  That seemed to do the trick.  The clean up part of the process took over a year.

The rebuild was relatively easy.  I had it bored and decked, but did the rest of the work myself.  It's a pretty simple engine.  With the FSM, it's really a piece of cake to tear down and rebuild.  Having said that, it hasn't run yet and has been sitting for 2 years.  I'm mostly concerned about the assembly lube at this point.  I'm pretty sure it's just a dry powder by now.  And I'm not sure if the engine can be pre-oiled before start up.
1971 CB350 K3

Offline Knoxes

« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:37:40 »
An update -

I've added bars, grips, throttle, levers, cables, wiring harness, starter cable, solenoid, rectifier/regulator and just a bunch of other little bits.  There was a bit of crappy welding involved to get some of these to fit.

So I have to deal with the tank, which has a small dent in it, I believed caused by some handlebars at some point.  And I tried Evaporust to deal with the insides.  It did pretty well, but definitely needs another treatment.  It also left some yellow deposits, so I'm a bit anxious about using it again.  I'm thinking about turning this over to someone else to deal with.  I don't like doing that.  I try to do everything that I can, and learn how to do what I can't.

And I have a larger concern.  It doesn't shift out of first, as best that I can tell.  It seems to find neutral, and solidly clicks down to first, but won't shift into the upper gears.  I've been told that a chain will fix this, but I find that hard to believe.   It would really suck to have to pull that engine apart again.
1971 CB350 K3

Offline pidjones

« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:56:57 »
There may have been varnish buildup from old gas in the tank. Evaporust can't get through that. Maybe acetone soak for a week or so, or MEK for much less time to get to rust that Evaporust can treat.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"