www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1979 CB750F Tracker (maybe?)  (Read 6159 times)

Online jordandogtown

• Washed up Weekend Warrior
1979 CB750F Tracker (maybe?)
« on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:32:14 »
I've spent a lot of time over the past few months trying to squeeze this build into a box. I thought it needed to have a clear cut genre, or theme, or design, and squarely fall between the lines of what another bike enthusiast would think "makes sense". I wrestled with what boxes I needed to check to consider this bike an homage to the vintage Honda dirt trackers from the 70's and 80's - but some things I wanted on the bike had very little to do with that era. Maybe it's a street tracker? Google says sort of. Maybe it's a resto-mod café fighter? Why not. Maybe it's an abomination to the first year DOHC's and I should be burned at the stake for chopping it up and disgracing it's heritage? That one's probably the closest.

In the end, I decided to build a bike with pieces and parts and ideas that I wanted, regardless of what category the finished monstrosity would fall into (if any). This will be an ongoing build that I hope to document all the twists and turns to reflect back on one day, and maybe provide some help/inspiration/what not to do for someone else out there with the same lump of Japanese metal.

So grab a beer (or pitchfork) and follow along for some good ol' hillbilly wrenchin' and the occasional bad idea.

Purchased October 2018

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils, and lunatics" George Fitch, 1916

Instagram

1979 CB750F Part Out

Online jordandogtown

Re: 1979 CB750F Tracker (maybe?)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:51:07 »
Don't let the above photos fool you - the bike is mostly complete, but wouldn't be worth a full restoration to me. The paint isn't salvageable, there's plenty of rust and dents, I was given two sets of carburetors which neither were correct or complete, and the entire charging system needs replacement. I love and appreciate anything with the Honda badge on it, but this bike was always going to be something I could sort of experiment with.

So, the plan:

I've been into motocross since I can remember, and as of late, American flat track. I've got a couple dirtbikes hanging around that would be perfect candidates for actual flat trackers, but being in Central KY, there's not much support for the scene, and I don't want to spend all weekend driving for a couple hours of riding. I figured my next best option was a flat track inspired street bike - nimble, lightweight, no electronics, big single cylinder thumper. I spent a year searching for a Honda Ascott, XR600, etc. and never came across one that quiet fit the bill. I found the CB a few hours north for a steal and liked the challenge of trying to combine the two. I'm planning to swap out the swingarm from a CBR600F3 and convert the bike to monoshock, custom subgrame, strip all electronics except a headlight and tail light, throw in some CR31 carbs and a set of dual sport tires, add lots of paint, and keep the motor stock for the first phase.

Some inspiration I've picked up along the way:

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2019, 16:06:44 by jordandogtown »
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils, and lunatics" George Fitch, 1916

Instagram

1979 CB750F Part Out

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2019, 12:03:08 »
Right on - go the hooligans

Working on an '82 myself, will be following along.  Bad decisions man, without a few of those I'd still never know the joys of waking up on a strange hotel room floor feeling like horseshit having gotten cold during the night and somehow pulled the flatscreen off the wall to use as a blanket.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2019, 12:17:36 by The Jimbonaut »
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Online jordandogtown

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2019, 12:59:11 »
Thanks brother!

I have to say, some old motorcycle forums are a little less forgiving when it comes to unnatural mods. I'm more of a "cut it, weld it, see what happens" kind of guy. I've always liked it around here

Instagram

1979 CB750F Part Out

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2019, 13:07:07 »
I really dig the 1st and last examples there.  Did you go to the Red Mile in the last 2 yrs?  its sad but that was my 1st ever flat track event. It was freaking awesome!
me and my dad have gone the past 2 yrs.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41083.0

Life is a journey from the maternity ward to the crematorium....

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2019, 13:07:25 »
Grip it n rip it.  I stuck my current build in the Restorations section but I have absolutely no idea why.  There it is parading as a soup-to-nuts resto-mod but it became immediately apparently it will be nothing of the sort.  Plans man - best thing about them is to see how far they slid  ;D
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Online jordandogtown

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2019, 13:12:03 »
First step was to get the bike running back in stock fashion. The bike would start, idle, and drive fine up to 5,000 RPM. "All it needs is a battery" said the PO.... A few minutes spent with the shop manual and a multi-meter revealed, as often, that wasn't the case.

I found a used stator that tested good, and ended up buying a new rotor.

After dropping those in, the bike was now charging but still not revving above 5k. I was told the carbs were just cleaned, which looked to be true based on an outside inspection, but finally decided to check those after the electrical was sorted. Turns out the PO removed the small accelerator pump altogether and the carbs were starving at high RPMs.

This being my second CB, I'm all to familiar with the CV woes. I decided to skip a few steps and ditch the stock carbs altogether and spring for a set of CR31s pre jetted from DCC. I've sold some woodworking commissions and whatever junk I could find around the shop and am this -----|   |------ close to having enough cash to pull the trigger (if any of you knuckleheads tell my wife how much they cost we are both going to be in some trouble).

Instagram

1979 CB750F Part Out

Online jordandogtown

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2019, 13:13:44 »
I really dig the 1st and last examples there.  Did you go to the Red Mile in the last 2 yrs?  its sad but that was my 1st ever flat track event. It was freaking awesome!
me and my dad have gone the past 2 yrs.

Yes! And boy it is nothing compared to seeing it on TV. Really gives a new appreciation to throwing 400+ lbs sideways close to triple digits

Instagram

1979 CB750F Part Out

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2019, 13:15:38 »
I bought a set of 26's for my 350F so I feel ya..  still need to finish that bike....haha
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41083.0

Life is a journey from the maternity ward to the crematorium....

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2019, 13:26:07 »
My first reaction was that a DOHC is way too large to turn into a tracker, but 1 and 3 look pretty good.  And if I can turn a GT750 Suzuki into a tracker, no reason why you can't do something wicked to a DOHC.  Go for it.

http://www.pinkpossum.com/GT750/phattrakka2/IRP2013.JPG