www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1979 CB750F Tracker (maybe?)  (Read 10436 times)

Offline jordandogtown

• Washed up Weekend Warrior
Re: 1979 CB750F Tracker (maybe?)
« Reply #190 on: Sep 04, 2019, 11:57:25 »
The big show we go to is at the end of September, but there's a few little hometown, mostly car, shows I'd like to hit before then. The first is 9/6, which gave me a solid week and a half to finish this thing up. No big deal, just some loose ends left. I stuck a very small decal on the back of the seat and then slightly lifted the corner to adjust it. Somehow, the crazy strong, epoxy based, lung disease causing tractor paint lifted up from the primer like it was never attached. I don't know if they just didn't work together, or I did something wrong (most likely) but it was ruined.

I sanded it and set it to side while I wallow in my misery and come up with a quick plan B

To try and cheer myself up, I started to bolt on some of the goodies I've been collecting the past few months. I took a gamble on a (probably) made in China carbon fiber fender. Like anything molded, it took some squeezing/twisting to get everything lined up perfect, but it bolted on just fine and I'm extremely impressed with the finish for the price.

Coils installed and plug wires ran

I mounted the R/R on the back side of the battery box. It's not in "direct" airflow, but I'm sure it's still better than being hidden under the seat. I also mounted the Dyna with the knobs facing the rear. This way I can pull of the license plate and make any adjustments without removing the seat

Used a few ratchet straps and finally got these beauties mounted

The headers on the bike were in pretty good shape. I doused them with exhaust paint and wrapped them in the good stuff. I decided against using the muffler I had bought. I know this will be insanely loud, so I plan on sticking a universal 2.5" baffle in the end once I get it running/tuning.

Mostly bolted together, loving the look so far.

A sneaky little shot while I'm waiting on final headlight/seat solutions

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils, and lunatics" George Fitch, 1916

1979 CB750F Tracker (maybe?)

Instagram

1979 CB750F Part Out

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #191 on: Sep 04, 2019, 12:22:13 »
Nice work
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #192 on: Sep 04, 2019, 16:51:17 »
Hang on a minute.  Dyna coils, dyna ignition module, Keihin CR carbs and then you decide to not bother with half the exhaust.  WTF mate? 

I'm just bustin your chops, but seriously the exhaust on those things can make a huge difference to power and where it makes it. I recall a few different back to back tests on exhaust on those bikes back in the day and anything less than ideal made lots of noise but lost power.

As for wrapping exhausts, the less said the better ;-)  :-)

Offline jordandogtown

« Reply #193 on: Sep 04, 2019, 17:17:05 »
Yea it's definitely not the ideal setup. It's also not the last iteration either, as I'm sure we all know from experience.

I've had so many different ideas with the exhaust that my mindset now is just "get it done, worry about that next year". My butt dyno is the only one I'll be using so I'm not too worried about the rabbit hole that is engine tuning. I'm not too picky on anything that won't be raced, as long as it's loud and has any sort of motivation off the line I'll be happy

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils, and lunatics" George Fitch, 1916

Instagram

1979 CB750F Part Out

Offline KPSguy

« Reply #194 on: Sep 06, 2019, 22:17:57 »
Looking great! I know your gonna have it ready for that show at end of September. Good job on the kitchen remodel too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline cb250nproject

• If you can make it better do so
« Reply #195 on: Sep 10, 2019, 02:39:20 »
This is crazy, looking the business

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
first cafe build was an incomplete learning experience, more of a test run for the real thing FRANKENHONDA II

Offline jordandogtown

« Reply #196 on: Sep 10, 2019, 17:20:04 »
I've realized two things over the last week; 1. this bike will never be "finished" and 2. this bike is definitely not a "tracker".

Oh well, I'm counting it as a success. A lot of crazy stuff happened along the way, but at the end of the 11 months, I have something I'm pretty proud of. At best, it's a DIY/homemade/hillbilly garage build. The paint came from an $8 can, the vinyl is all handcut and it shows, but every single cut, weld, grind, and mistake was made by one of my two hands. It'll probably never win a trophy, and the only museum it will be parked in is in the basement of my house, but damnit, I love this thing.

The chain and a few cables are in the mail, but I hauled it down to our little Main Street America night market car show this weekend. I spent a solid 3 hours talking to older guys who reminisced of having one when they were new, and high fiving younger boys who couldn't help but twist the throttle and yell to show their parents. If I could bring back some good ol memories or inspire a kid to ruin something to make it their own, I'll be pretty happy.

I'll get some better photos in the coming weeks, but here are some quick shots over the weekend. Thanks for coming along for the ride and letting me hangout in what turned out to be the completely wrong sub forum. To be fair, I have no idea what to classify this contraption as anyway.

Instagram

1979 CB750F Part Out

Offline pidjones

« Reply #197 on: Sep 10, 2019, 21:45:20 »
The best we can do is the best we can do, and sometimes it is better than we realize. If you are happy, then you've pleased the most important judge! Personally, I think it looks great!

BTW, the rat bike CB750F that I did last winter is in Georgetown, now. Keep an eye out for it!
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline KPSguy

« Reply #198 on: Sep 10, 2019, 23:15:03 »
Its been great following you with with your build !  You definitely inspired me in my own projects.  Your bike turn out really cool!   Best of all , you've built it out of your own vision, blood sweet and probably a few beers! Finish it and enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline cb250nproject

• If you can make it better do so
« Reply #199 on: Sep 11, 2019, 01:05:20 »
Congratulations enjoy riding that beast I love it

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
first cafe build was an incomplete learning experience, more of a test run for the real thing FRANKENHONDA II