www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Rise of the phoenix cb750k  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Munamankeli

Rise of the phoenix cb750k
« on: Jan 28, 2019, 18:41:33 »
Here is little intro for the project. Actual project bike comes few posts later.

Finally, few years from the day I bought my first motorcycle honda cb 400t 1980. I rode and built it little by little. I finally felt it was ready and I like the way it looked. Carbs were finally fully synch and jets were right ones, fuel/air ratio was good. It gave good ride.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2019, 19:48:17 by Munamankeli »

Offline datadavid

Re: Rise of the phoenix cb750k
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2019, 18:54:19 »
Nice bike, but where is the 750?

Offline Munamankeli

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2019, 19:00:00 »
It was nice and very warm summer day. I took my cb and got cruising. I was riding on motorway and suddenly bike chocked, speed slowed down and I had to stop to side of lane. Engine idled very funny. Soon I noticed one cylinder didnt run. I thought maybe spark plug was gone. I rode to nearest gas station and tried to take the spark plug off but it was tight and I couldnt open it. I rode to my workshop and took the plug off. I was disappointed. The plug was in pieces. I took the engine apart from bike and opened it. One valve was snapped from up, and fell down to cylinder.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2019, 03:40:11 by Munamankeli »

Offline Munamankeli

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2019, 19:14:00 »
Thoughts after break down. The cynderhead fixable, but expensive to. New head would be hard to find. Also new pistons, and to hone cylinders wouldve been expensive.. New engine? Very hard to find because cb400t wasnt popular bike those days. Alternatives: expensive fix or new engine, and propably end of riding season, because its kind of short here in Finland.
I thought fuck that, not gonna happen. I took my phone. I searched new bike, rent a van and got it.
  This is rise of a phoenix. Same model year, same model, but now almost double CC. Honda CB750 K 1980.

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2019, 03:46:27 by Munamankeli »

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2019, 19:19:12 »
Love that bike man, congrats on the buy and have fun making it your own!
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline Munamankeli

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2019, 20:03:21 »
So first off pretty basic stuff. I bought the bike. It was cheap. I didnt event test ride it. Not even started. Seller said last time bike was used and rode something 17 years ago. He said it will run with battery change, new gasoline and carburator cleaning.  I did it and it ran great.
  I knew pretty much what I would do to bike. I started stripping paint from gasoline the tank. I wanted bare metal tank. I sanded it with every grit from 80 to 400. I painted bottom of the tank black . I ve noticed it gives a little more round look to these later cb tanks. Then clear coat. Sanded it with 1k and 2k grit and buffed it with rotary buffing machine. Next off I worked on back frame. I ordered loop, cut frame and welded loop to bike. I wanted to integrate back light inside the loop.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2019, 03:58:21 by Munamankeli »

Offline Munamankeli

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2019, 20:26:29 »
I wanted bike to be clean. The triangle had to be empty. I searched some other projects on internet and tried to figure battery placing. Most of builder has placed a battery under swing arm. I didnt like idea at all. I started sketcing and got it. The battery fits good under the gas tank if coils moved a bit. Also starter relay fits there. So triangle was empty now. Seat skething started. I wanted leather, brown. Kind of flat seat but long enough for two if needed.

Offline Popeye SXM

• Also used for MX
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2019, 20:37:41 »
Kool project. I like the way you are making it the way you want it.

Offline Munamankeli

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2019, 20:55:29 »
Soething little changes happened. I got new handle bar, washed bike, put temporary cloth to seat. Also made licence plate mount.
At this point I thought what if I try to make something Ive always wanted. Could I do it? What if I could. It would be awesome.
 I sent email to Finlands largest motorcycle exhibison, MP motorcycle show (2019), and asked if I could bring this bike to show. Of course, when its ready and finished.
  They asked me what kind of bike is it and what I ment to do to it. I sent few sketch fotos what bike was then and told them what it will be. They didnt say yes or no but contact us later when bike is more finished. They said they will pick bikes to show not later than end of year.

So to be clear this build has happened since summer of 2018, these mails and happened autum. So "deadline" was kind of 31.12.2018.
  Show is at the begining of february 2019. These are "sketch fotos" I sent to them.

To be continued..

Offline datadavid

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:00:55 »
And what a cb750. Go finland!