www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Yamaha DT2 Build - Smoke if you got 'em...  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Rider52

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: Yamaha DT2 Build - Smoke if you got 'em...
« Reply #30 on: Apr 08, 2019, 13:38:32 »
I have a couple of small Suzuki's, a JR50 and an ALT50, both had weathered plastics. I had them stored at a friend's shop and he restored the plastics by scraping them with a razor blade. I've seen some You Tube videos and some other forum remarks on doing this. 
AMA, VJMC, AMCA

Projects
74 Yamaha TX650
Sweep the Floor Project
3 Assorted Honda CL 72 scramblers in a million pieces
3 Harleys in constant state of sorrow and a Buell
1978 Yamaha Chappy 80 burning up the highway
Cut my motor in half Sportster to Shortster
Roadkill Revitalization 1977 Honda CB750

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #31 on: Apr 08, 2019, 14:19:24 »
Did anyone watch the Youtube vid I posted?  LOL.

Lots of ways to do this, but I've done a lot of plastics the way Jim and described up front and the results work every time.  Scraping with a blade is doing the same thing (removing oxidized plastic), but a blade doesn't exactly make as clean of a surface.  The only other real way to do it is to chemically convert it with something like acetone, but the results won't exactly be good.  The blow torch works too but all it is doing is melting the oxidized plastic into the not oxidized plastic.  It's not really changing it back.  The ABS has zero resistance to UV, so it literally breaks down in the sun.  You have to remove the broken down layer to get into the good layer, which will eventually break down too.  Some times a little labor produces the best results.  You wouldn't want your paint shop cutting corners on your paint job, would you?

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #32 on: Apr 08, 2019, 15:03:26 »
Here's a fairing I restored using the sanding method -

There was a huge KLR sticker on it, peeling that off showed just how oxidized the rest of the panel was (underneath the sticker of course it looked mint).  I won't lie, it takes quite a few hours and a lot of beer.  The vids'll tell you what grade paper to start with, and I finished by polishing with Maguires polishing compound.  Make sure not to buff too long on one spot or you'll melt the plastic and that will absolutely suck balls.
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline bracketmaker

« Reply #33 on: Apr 08, 2019, 22:58:35 »
Did anyone watch the Youtube vid I posted?  LOL.

Why watch a video when there's gloss black paint. I know my limitations as a mechanic. anything I think lools crappy gets painted oil based enamal. you saw the pic, it works. my dt2 rear fender is kawasaki green because it came off a kdx but you can't tell because its black. I won't lie, it takes a couple of minutes and a lot of beer. 

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #34 on: Apr 08, 2019, 23:02:18 »

Why watch a video when there's gloss black paint. I know my limitations as a mechanic. anything I think lools crappy gets painted oil based enamal. you saw the pic, it works. my dt2 rear fender is kawasaki green because it came off a kdx but you can't tell because its black. I won't lie, it takes a couple of minutes and a lot of beer.

^ or that  ;D
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Online Popeye SXM

• Also used for MX
« Reply #35 on: Apr 09, 2019, 00:03:02 »
my dt2 rear fender is kawasaki green because it came off a kdx but you can't tell because its black.
Until it gets scratched!

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #36 on: Apr 09, 2019, 08:28:39 »

And here I thought we were talking about restoring plastics, not copping out on a mid-Atlantic custom. 

Offline pidjones

« Reply #37 on: Apr 09, 2019, 09:21:44 »
The video was helpful for me. I'll need to use a bit more than 320 on my GL1000 meter surround. The decal in front of them had been scraped off roughly by a PO (they do make plastic blades - I bought some at West Marine), and the area on top has some wrinkles I'd like to remove. I think it had a textured finish, but don't mind making it smooth. Next winter.... (It's showing well now, though). I used the heat gun method on the inner fender piece - really nice at smoothing out the scrapes that develop on the inside. Have to be VERY careful not to over-heat and distort, though. Acetone will usually cloud ABS, so you would still have to sand or buff that layer off. The good thing about ABS is that it can be glued easily with ABS plumbing cement and cleaner. I built a whole new under-cowl piece for a CB750F out of wrecked GL1800 ABS pieces.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #38 on: Apr 10, 2019, 10:55:14 »
More tear down finished last night. I also got the frame de-tabbed since I'll be running the aftermarket seat and no original side covers.

I found an interesting rear spacer when the wheel came off  and the brake cable holders on the the front and the rear wheels are both broken. The rear wheel is also dented (which I hadn't noticed before).

And for some reason, some one got a bit crazy with an angle grinder up front.

Up next is engine disassembly.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #39 on: Apr 10, 2019, 11:00:47 »
I have a NOS 3.00x18 aluminum rim that would probably work there.