www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: XS400 cafe build  (Read 2849 times)

Offline sandmanred

XS400 cafe build
« on: Mar 29, 2019, 08:33:07 »
I've been lurking for awhile.  Lots of nice work on this forum.  I'm relatively new to motorcycles so I definitely need help with with all the mechanics and where to get stuff.  This is my 3rd build.  I've posted elsewhere in hopes of getting the tech support I need and I'm not always getting what I need.  So I'm making a catch up post to cover since last November.

Bought a not running 78 XS400.  A little carb cleaning and point setting and a clutch rebuild and it was running.  Started with the bars, then the tank then the seat.  Actually made a little detour to make a tail cowl but then got asked why my bike only have one seat?  So, finish the detour and start a seat for two.  I left the detour out for now.  I may go back later and do a seat to go with the tail but probably not right away.  As it stands now it's ready for shakedown, just need some warmer weather.

The big question right now is the best upgrade for the head light.  It still has the stock 35w incandescent bulb.  Seems like the easiest is to go to an H4 35w but I'm not finding anyway to do it without changing the whole bucket.  The Emgo one I found says it's compatible but the hole on the back is much lower than stock and I'm not sure all the wires will reach.  The stock reflector and bulb assembly has special gear to adjust the beam that you don't find on standard replacement reflectors.  I'd be open to LED conversion head lamp but then you run into the same problem not having all the gear on the reflector to mount into the stock bucket.  Any advice welcome.

Offline brad black

Re: XS400 cafe build
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2019, 09:10:44 »
that's just showing off.

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2019, 09:19:08 »
Nice fab work.

You can change to a H4 35w/35w bulb by cutting your old bulb out of the sealed beam carefully with a dremel, and epoxying a H4 housing in place on the back of the sealed beam. Alternatively, Sparck Moto sells LEDs you can retrofit into your existing sealed beam using a similar method.

Lots of vendors sell LED lights that will drop in to your OE bucket as well.

Offline Sav0r

• ChrisLivengood.net
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2019, 09:27:07 »
That way that seam fit up on the tank makes me warm inside.
Sav0r the adventure.

Visit www.chrislivengood.net to get more information on my RD350 dubbed Mia Wallace as well as my other projects and snafus.

Instagram

Offline pidjones

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2019, 09:46:15 »
Gave me my second morning wood.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline sandmanred

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2019, 11:07:38 »
Thanks for the comments.

First shakedown run complete.  No major problems noted.  Now on to a bunch of little details before paint/powder.

Offline pidjones

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2019, 09:50:37 »

Thanks for the comments.

First shakedown run complete.  No major problems noted.  Now on to a bunch of little details before paint/powder.

I like it Just. Like. That.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline sandmanred

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2019, 22:53:44 »
Re-do of front fender mounts underway.  Trimmed off plate stock mounting of front fender and replacing with 5/16 round. 

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2019, 01:50:36 »
Would really love to see some aluminum come out on the tail section. Cuff the fabric a few inches from the back and let some of that metalwork show.