www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: XS400 cafe build  (Read 2972 times)

Offline sandmanred

Re: XS400 cafe build
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 20:08:29 »
Fender back from powder coating.  It's a candy over brushed aluminum.  It looks great, the pics don't show the depth or the brushed texture underneath.  Still not 100% committed as the tank may just not be good enough for a shiny finish without some bondo.  Rattled canned the brackets for now just so I could see it put together.  And got a side panel tacked in place. 

Offline sandmanred

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 17:14:08 »
A bit of re-shaping on the set and a new cover.  Clamp on walking foot on sewing machine helps but I'm guessing still not quite like a true walking foot machine.  Quilt top stitch came out okay but still a little inconsistent on perimeter stitch but better than the last one.  It definitely comes out smoother when you just glue the perimeter up under the pan, the last one I glued the whole thing down and it makes the seams show up a lot worse and telegraphed through any defects in the foam layer.

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 10:13:59 »
That came out great, nice work. I've wanted to have a go at sewing my own seat covers but don't have access to the proper machine.

Offline sandmanred

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 18:33:18 »
That came out great, nice work. I've wanted to have a go at sewing my own seat covers but don't have access to the proper machine.

Thanks.  This one was done with an old Bernina that my wife bought at an estate sale for $9.  It's not an industrial machine but pretty heavy duty.  I added a walking foot attachment that seems to help too.

Offline sandmanred

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2019, 09:08:50 »
The butt end of the left muffler fell out today so I'm going to make a go at new mufflers.  A buddy and I built a slip roller for the cones.  I'd hoped it would handle 18 gage but it looks like it will only do 20 gage in stainless.  So far I have one cone.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 13:24:48 by sandmanred »

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2019, 12:36:50 »
This is a really neat build.  Your metal skills blow me away.  Ive made a couple seat covers, and yours is amazing.  Really cool stuff 8)

Offline sandmanred

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2019, 07:48:07 »
This is a really neat build.  Your metal skills blow me away.  Ive made a couple seat covers, and yours is amazing.  Really cool stuff 8)

Thanks for taking time to look and the comments!

Offline sandmanred

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2019, 07:58:14 »
More progress on exhaust.  Still a few mods needed on the slip roll but it worked pretty good.  Long cones were not too round before capping so I stuffed them into a round hole as I tapped the end cap in, worked as a nice secure holder too.  The baffles are removable for tuning.  A short reverse cone will somewhat hide the baffle but still allow access for removal.

Offline sandmanred

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2019, 07:54:05 »
Not as far as I hoped to get today.  Ran out of argon >:(.  Ran to get more before supplier closed.  Got home, hooked up and found it's not argon though it is labelled >:( >:(.  Too late to get back to supplier.   >:( >:( >:(  Borrow some from a friend.   :)

I did get them installed and a quick test run but too late for finished pics.

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2019, 08:17:37 »
Nice work, man.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal