www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: New 1980 Gs550 project  (Read 953 times)

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: New 1980 Gs550 project
« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2019, 08:44:19 »
My thoughts exactly!!! Thanks, I'm actually just looking for a simpler. More retro speedometer, but with the dummy lights...

Like this?

http://www.dan-moto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=133

Offline track06

• Charlotwood
« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2019, 21:25:08 »
Alright, kids are gone, the lady isn't home... Time to get back into this bike. So I've picked up some wire, I've been reading so much about the wiring and rewiring on these bikes i think I'll just take a stab at rewiring... But that's for later, tonight I'll be getting into the motor and checking the valves, cleaning more and replacing gaskets!!!

Offline track06

• Charlotwood
« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2019, 01:41:48 »
Alright, moving right along! I've made some really great progress in the past couple nights and mornings, basically whenever i can squeeze some time in... Also lots of parts are starting to arrive! So I've started getting into the motor, and cleaning off all the old gaskets, man that's been quite an adventure! I've cleaned, degreased and primed most of the covers. Oh yeah I also started painting the tank, i wentback and forth between a bunch of oranges, and finally found one i really like! Unfortunately once a nice and shiny coat of paint was sprayed i noticed two more tiny dents... Doh!!! So time to sand back down and fill those areas! I really love the color of the tank, I'm thinking about a black pin strip on it somewhere, somehow, i haven't decided that yet. Well It's almost 1am and I'm about to call it a night, tomorrow however I'm off work so I'm really hoping to get a lot accomplished!!! Pay no attention to my messy garage, i barely have a corner to work with here...

Offline track06

• Charlotwood
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 21:38:25 »
So, sincemy last post I've done A LOT. Motor is rebuilt and painted, and put back in the frame finished the tank, chopped and painted the fenders( the rear still needs a bit more work. New head light, tail light, both with indicators. Chopped the exhaust( still need to weld that up) welded a new  battery box. New speedo, still need to get a tach but ran out of money... Fresh carb boots, K&N pods, and dynojet stage 3 kit. New reg/rec, and new battery... Hmmm i feel like I'm forgetting something... Anyway here she is, waiting on some valve shims before i torque everything down, then on to wiring!!! I really wanted an Munit, but again... Ran out of money so that will just have to wait. The whole build is on the GSR forum under my same name if you want to see the progress.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 21:40:01 by track06 »

Offline yozzer74

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 12:40:04 »
Looks good mate I had a nightmare getting mine running right with those filters on .even with stage 3 kit

Offline track06

• Charlotwood
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 13:05:01 »
Thanks! Don't tell me that lol! I'm having a nightmare trying to get pods that fit!!!! The ones in the picture were too long and hit the frame, i tried grinding them down and they still wanted to pull the carbs off the motor! So i ordered APE, those were too long as well.  Then i saw someone said the K&N rc 0884 was the way to go, so i ordered them without hesitation, they came in yesterday and they dont fit my carbs!!!  So now I'm looking at the RC 2344, and UNI( though i don't much like the look of them) , those should both theoretically fit... Just have to wait, till they get here, i wish i could start tuning already!!! Where are you located? What did you end up jet and needle wise? I have the DJ 155 main, 3rd clip down from the top, air correctors in, drilled out the needle slide hole, and I'm sitting at 2.5 turns out. She starts up and idles fine with no filters i rubber banded a paper towle over the carbs and took her down the street and rode fine through the gears, i didn't get on it, i just wanted to see if she would run, and she did!

Offline yozzer74

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #16 on: Jun 16, 2019, 11:42:53 »
In the end I was 3 and a half turns out on air screw 3rd clip down on needles. 170 on main jets. Sorry for late reply good look with it .and my filters touched the frame too but did fit on carbs ok