www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Project: Reverse Polarity Twin Turbo (NH750tt)  (Read 695 times)

Offline turbodog

Re: Project: Reverse Polarity Twin Turbo (NH750tt)
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 08:54:18 »
Nice! Subscribed.  Ive been following a similar path, but with an XV920R and a Buell-based rear suspension...

Offline TranceMachineVienna

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 09:16:39 »
Very interesting!keep it coming!

Offline Kunipshun Fit

• Big Dreams. Small Funds!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 12:08:11 »
this looks both very silly and very exciting, keep it up
Thanks for being part of the madness!

Good luck with the project. What was the logic for using a Harley Softail rear suspension setup, to give room for the Turbos?  Softail rear suspension isnt exactly known for performance, having limited movement. On a Harley the two shocks are tucked up inside the frame beneath the gearbox, but in your case the shocks will have to be positioned pretty low, will you have an problem with ground clearance?

Here's an alloy swing arm I made for my own Softail, its half the weight of the original..
Iíve had a vision of the bike in my head that I wanted to accomplish.  I want the rear of the bike to be very sparsely populated with crap. Lol  Also, I wanted a challenge, and a unique build that no one else has done.  I intend later to upgrade the shocks to progressive 422ís with remote adjustment, but for now I can mock up with these.  Ground clearance should be ok as they donít hang any lower than some of the aftermarket exhausts out there.  Im not lowering the bike at all, if anything the ass end will be raised slightly.  We shall see. Im also considering ways to tuck them in tighter, but so far non of them give me the angles of functionality that I want. I dont want the shocks to bind at all.

That swingarm is a thing of beauty!  Donít have an old softail swingarm laying around do ya? Lol

Nice! Subscribed.  Ive been following a similar path, but with an XV920R and a Buell-based rear suspension...

I love the look of that.  What turbo did you choose?  What intercooler is that? Do you have a build thread anywhere?

Very interesting!keep it coming!
Thanks for joining the ride!  Its gonna be frought with newbness and crazy ideas.
Lurker and dreamer.  Maybe one day Ill start on my bike.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 13:18:13 »
I haven't got around to fitting that alloy arm to the bike yet, so still need the original. That said its not from a standard Harley frame, but from an aftermarket frame from Germany, so it wouldn't work with a standard Harley. Though you've not got a standard Harley lol. Besides I'm in the UK, I suspect the postage would cost more than its worth.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress with your project.. being different is good, though not always easy.  My mate is currently making four of these.. homemade billet superchargers, one is for his Honda CB72, but I could have one of the others.... very tempting  :)

Offline Kunipshun Fit

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 14:03:16 »
Thats a nifty project too!!!  Im excited to get it going!

Offline turbodog

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 14:22:05 »
I added an update to my (very) old thread:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39633.msg922200#msg922200

The turbo is from a Yamaha Seca Turbo 650. I ciphered that a 650 turning 9000 RPMs would have sorta maybe the same flow requirements as a 920 turning 7000 RPM, given the lower volumetric efficiency of the 920 twin vs the four cylinder 650.

The intercoolers is from these guys:
https://bellintercoolers.com/
The main proprietors are Corky Bell (wrote what was once considered the bible of turbocharging) and Gerhard Schruf (Scuderia Ferrari turbo boss from the 1980 -88 turbo era, including 2 World Constructor's Championships).  I spoke with Gerhard about sizing the intercooler to my requirements (~ 100HP).  Nice guy.

I can only dream about having the facilities and skills to do machine work like I see in those superchargers.  Very cool.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 14:24:56 by turbodog »

Offline Kunipshun Fit

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 15:03:25 »
Thanks man!!

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 03:54:13 »
I added an update to my (very) old thread:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39633.msg922200#msg922200

The turbo is from a Yamaha Seca Turbo 650. I ciphered that a 650 turning 9000 RPMs would have sorta maybe the same flow requirements as a 920 turning 7000 RPM, given the lower volumetric efficiency of the 920 twin vs the four cylinder 650.

The intercoolers is from these guys:
https://bellintercoolers.com/
The main proprietors are Corky Bell (wrote what was once considered the bible of turbocharging) and Gerhard Schruf (Scuderia Ferrari turbo boss from the 1980 -88 turbo era, including 2 World Constructor's Championships).  I spoke with Gerhard about sizing the intercooler to my requirements (~ 100HP).  Nice guy.

I can only dream about having the facilities and skills to do machine work like I see in those superchargers.  Very cool.

Its always more difficult to turbo a twin than an inline four, good luck with your Yamaha project. The superchargers in the pic use rotors from an Eaton supercharger, the cases and drives are made on an ancient miller in my mates shed.. no CNC here. The reason for making them is to have the inlet and outlets in a better location to use on the CB72 and to make them look better and match the billet barrel he made for the CB72.. allows the engine to be taken out to 500cc. Anyway don't want to hijack this build.