collapse

www.dimecitycycles.com

www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com


Author Topic: My little kz440 project  (Read 628 times)

Offline Venderbroeck

  • Posts: 8
Re: My little kz440 project
« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2019, 13:09:36 »
I had a little more time to play with the frame today, despite the stormy weather.
I was ready to tack stuff to the frame when I found some more convenient bolt holes to use!

How does this look to you guys?


I also bought a pre formed 15 degree upswept hoop that I could use as a base:


After a bit of massaging (this stuff doesn't easily bend) I got it as close as I could:


Once I cut the frame, I should be able to get it to fit I think.
I'm waiting with that until I find someone that can weld it all back together again in a proper fashion.

Offline teazer

  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • *
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • *
  • Posts: 9160
Re: My little kz440 project
« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2019, 13:48:23 »
The tubes do not need to be chrome moly and there are good reasons to use mild steel - that's what the rest of the frame is.

Just a thought but instead of all that cutting and welding, how about just making a "flat" section for the seat and weld it on top of the existing frame tubes.  It won't be as "elegant" but it would be much simpler and you won't need a frame jig to hold it all square and there's a lot less welding involved, so less distortion and less cost potentially.

The seat mount flat section could be tube or just angle iron which is easier to mount a set on.

Offline Venderbroeck

  • Posts: 8
Re: My little kz440 project
« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2019, 14:12:10 »
I thought about something like that to make the seat work. It has a lot of advantages, but I really like the look when it's done the way I'm trying to do it now.
It will be a bit of a learning experience as well, with minimal cost invested so far.
That is also the reason I started with this part before doing anything else. If it all goes pear shaped and it's a total loss, at least the loss will be as minimal as it can be.
Of course I'm trying not to have that happen, which is partly why I'm here.

Btw, thanks for your input on the chromoly. The tubes I bought are mild steel, as others also indicated it would be just fine to use.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2019, 14:15:03 by Venderbroeck »

Offline Venderbroeck

  • Posts: 8
Re: My little kz440 project
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2019, 20:28:30 »
Alright, I finally had some time to work on the frame again. After looking at the construction I made I decided it had to do.
After gathering (quite) some courage I got the grinder out:



It went better than I feared... :p The bracket seemed to function well, nothing seems to have moved.
After removing all the offending parts of the subframe, I set about fitting the new hoop.
Here's what I came up with up to now:



It's still far from fitting perfectly. I intentionally left extra material everywhere so I can slowly graft in the new piece.
I think I can make it fit quite well when I get some more time to work on it.

I may have found a shop that can help me with the final welding. They told me it would be no problem to just go and tack in all the pieces with my tig welder.
Shouldn't affect anything too much, so I think I'll go ahead and do that once I get things to fit perfectly.
After that it's off to be welded and then the hardest part (for me) will be done.
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2019, 16:09:33 by Venderbroeck »

Offline Venderbroeck

  • Posts: 8
Re: My little kz440 project
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2019, 16:59:26 »
It seems that my photobucket ran out of bandwidth -.-
I migrated everything to google, so hopefully everything shows up ok again.

I have been working on and off for the last few weeks fitting the frame hoop.
Most of my time was spent slowly mating the hoop to the back shock mounting portion of the frame.

After that was done I made some pieces to fill up the gaps. The first wasn't such a perfect fit, but it should still be alright.


The other side came out much better:


Then came more grinding and fitting, and eventually I ended up with this:



After all that it was finally time to tack the hoop into place today! Unfortunately it was getting dark and my batter was low, so I couldn't take a lot of pics.


This has been a lot of work, but it's surprisingly therapeutic, and in the end I think I've ended up with something that a pro should be able to finish up nicely. ;D
Now I only need to make a bracing tube to strengthens the hoop and give it some additional rigidity, and then I can finally send it out to be welded.