CB360 engine cover stubborn

harrpics

After oil service on 74 CB360, I cannot get the engine cover to go flush with the engine. Seems the oil pump idler gear shaft is a bit loose and I think it's hanging up on that. That gear seems to be further out, away from the engine, than it should. Anyone run in to this? Don't want to force anything but running out of ideas.
Thanks!
Dave

Of course, pics would help, and hopefully these will. Strange yellow arrow points to idler gear.

Attachments

• IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_3261.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 305
From that pic, it's hard to say but the idler gear doesn't appear to mesh like it should. Do you know it's not coming together there? Are you getting the hole in the idler gear lined up correctly with the cover? Also, make sure the orifice where the slinger meets the cover isn't jammed. It's spring loaded. If the kickstarter has shifted out of slot, it will also prevent a good mesh on that side.

I can look through the oil fill hole at see that the cover is up against the idler gear. The kick start side goes on fine. I can wiggle the idler gear. Can it be tightened without major disassembly?

Yes, you just need to gently wiggle it back and forth by hand. It will slip in. If you force it, it will crack that gear.

The idler gear is on a shaft with a locating pin. I think it may have pulled out of its slot.Try rotating the shaft while pushing in. See page 50 in the Honda shop manual.

Turnturtle said:
The idler gear is on a shaft with a locating pin. I think it may have pulled out of its slot.Try rotating the shaft while pushing in. See page 50 in the Honda shop manual.

Dudes right. I forgot about the pin.

Thanks. Can that pin come out? I thought there was one but now I don't see it. Wouldn't think it could just fall out.

The pin is a press fit into the idler shaft so it could be removed. Does the shaft turn in the crankcase casting? If it doesn't, that would indicate the pin is still there.

Irk mentioned earlier that the gear doesn't appear to be engaged with the crank gear and I agree. Are you sure it's just not a simple case of rotating that gear a few degrees and allowing it to engage with the crank gear?

If gears are not lined up correctly sometimes garb and won't slide into place. Try removing the oil pump gear and see what's going on. It may be that the first attempt to fit the cover has jammed that pump gear somehow. Remove the gear and see what's it's hanging up on.

It's fixed! Rotated the shaft so the pin matched up with it's slot. Boom! Back together. Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom