XS650 -brattish

Roustabout

Been Around the Block
I picked up a couple of XS650's in March for a project I could ride two-up on. I made a seat pan and sent it out to get upholstered in white (going to try something different ;)). I'm using 39mm Showa forks from a Sportster. I used the triple tree from an FZ750 to get a wider fork spacing. The XS steering column is so long that with the sportster forks and the FZ trees, the forks would hit the bottom triple clamp before bottoming - not something I want happening while hot in a corner. To get the front lowered enough and maintaining some fork travel I pressed the steering stem out of the lower triple clamp and flipped it upside down. Went with Red Wing shocks like what I have on the cafe bike but 1/2" shorter than stock. I took the frame and wheels into work and shot them with epoxy paint. Up front there is an FZR1000 disc and FZR600 caliper to get the rig stopped with two people on it. I'm going to fit-up and FZR caliper on rear. For a slightly relaxed riding position, I'm using a stock '77 tank and clip-ons with a 1" rise. The previous owner was trying to make a street tracker out of the bike and had cut off the passenger pegs so I had to fab up a new set of brackets.

Before... sort of
2009%5C05%5C03%5Cbikepics-1656001-800.jpg

Mocked up with a 17" Yamaha mag on the front.... I ended up going with the stock 19" rim because it looked better with the forks and I couldn't get the classic tire I wanted in a 17".
2009%5C05%5C03%5Cbikepics-1655992-800.jpg

2009%5C05%5C03%5Cbikepics-1655993-800.jpg

2009%5C05%5C03%5Cbikepics-1655994-800.jpg

2009%5C05%5C03%5Cbikepics-1655995-800.jpg

2009%5C05%5C03%5Cbikepics-1655996-800.jpg

2009%5C05%5C03%5Cbikepics-1655997-800.jpg

2009%5C05%5C03%5Cbikepics-1655999-800.jpg

I got the seat back today and was pretty happy with the work. I ordered some white grips and will be ordering the tires this week. I'll be going with a Cheng Shin C200 510-16 rear and a C833 up front. I'm debating whether to go with mat or gloss black on the tank. The rear fender is a chopped XS front fender that I got for $5 at a swap meet. I'm thinking of mounting a turn signal with a red lens as a tail light.

2009%5C05%5C04%5Cbikepics-1657434-800.jpg

2009%5C05%5C04%5Cbikepics-1657435-800.jpg

2009%5C05%5C04%5Cbikepics-1657436-800.jpg

Nice work, but we expect nothing less!! You've set the bar quite high with your Cafe machine! ;) 8) 8)

I seem to remember a flat tracker in the works. What's up with that one??!! ;D

Ae you goin' with white tires too! :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Drewski said:
Ae you goin' with white tires too! :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)
No..... I'm going to go with a white Evel Knievel ensemble ;D You can carry my sceptor(walking stick?) when we go for rides ;)
Evel-Knievel.jpg

Damn that's lookin hot...

screw you with your "perfect for a bratstyles" rear hoop ;) ::) :p Loving the white too by the way

boosh and/or kawkow!

i love it, sorry to tell ya, gunna jack your tire sizes if it looks good, get em mounted!

Looking closer at your brake setup, I think I had the same thing planned. Is that an R6 caliper and rotor? What did you have to do to mount the rotor to the yamaha wheel?

--Thanks, Chris

ps the seat looks really good

chrisf said:
Looking closer at your brake setup, I think I had the same thing planned. Is that an R6 caliper and rotor? What did you have to do to mount the rotor to the yamaha wheel?

The rotor is from an FZR1000 and the caliper from an FZR600. I made a bracket to mount the caliper to the fork leg and had to make a spacer to go between the rotor and wheel hub so the caliper would clear the spokes.

that seat is NAILS! i am loving it! who did that for you? i need to get a seat covered in white for my lady's bike!

Roustabout said:
No..... I'm going to go with a white Evel Knievel ensemble ;D You can carry my sceptor(walking stick?) when we go for rides ;)
Evel-Knievel.jpg

It would be an honor sir!! :D :D :D

JRK5892 said:
that seat is NAILS! i am loving it! who did that for you? i need to get a seat covered in white for my lady's bike!

I had a local guy in Guelph do the foam and upholstery - Gray's Custom Trim in Guelph. I was happy with the job he did on my cafe seat so I gave him this one. It was my girlfriend that suggested white for the seat :)

Roustabout said:
I had a local guy in Guelph do the foam and upholstery - Gray's Custom Trim in Guelph. I was happy with the job he did on my cafe seat so I gave him this one. It was my girlfriend that suggested white for the seat :)

Oh man! It's gonna take everything in me to hold my tongue on that one!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!

Drewski said:
Oh man! It's gonna take everything in me to hold my tongue on that one!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!
It was either a white seat or a white leather couch for the living room - the bike seat was the cheaper option ;)

Roustabout said:
The rotor is from an FZR1000 and the caliper from an FZR600. I made a bracket to mount the caliper to the fork leg and had to make a spacer to go between the rotor and wheel hub so the caliper would clear the spokes.

That's awesome! Do you have any close-up pics? I think I'm going to have a go at the R6/R6 combo, but honestly, it looks to me exactly like your setup. Are you running the stock MC?

--Thanks, Chris

JRK5892 said:
white seats look dope as hell on a bike... everyone rocks black

Ya, I actually like it too! I'm just yankin' Dave's chain a little!! ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom