slapi's cb350f cafe project

slapi01

Been Around the Block
hey guys, i posted my intro in the new members area. just picked it up with a bunch of spare stuff and can't wait to begin this build. i already was able strip the bike pretty much down to a floor full of parts.. -lol just got done building my 89 honda hawk gt and i just can't stop with the damn projects. my question is do i put the cb350 four back in or stay with the cb400four inside the frame. that 400 weights a freakin ton and i don't want to scratch the frame putting it back in unless you guys have a trick to do it.. any suggestions, on the build would be great. here are some pics..
thanks for having me -brian

100-0003_IMG_2.jpg

100-0001_IMG_4.jpg

100-0001_IMG_3.jpg

100-0002_IMG_4.jpg

Re: slapi's 72 cb350/400

Rocan said:
which tach/speedo is that?
i believe that they are just stock clocks that were just painted over. i'll take a closer pic, so you guys can tell me better.

i started stripping off the paint on a few things carbs,headlamp ring, cleaned up the fenders (might use one from my father thruxton) sanded down the headlamp pod.
100-0003_IMG.jpg

100-0004_IMG.jpg

100-0005_IMG.jpg

i stripped the tank and found out that somwhere down the road it got banged up. i found a few bondo spots, so looks like i will be painting it.. i was thinking of keeping it "el natural" with emblems? showing a few dents doesn't hurt, does it guys? -lol i am planning on mocking up the tank and to start working on the seat the PO started making for this baby.
100-0001_IMG_2.jpg

to be continued!!

got some work done on the scoot... i am on hold for awhile until my wsoda blaster comes in, but i am working on the little stuff. tell me what you guys think. not sure if i am going all black or with color just yet. i was thinking about doing the frame in the epoxy white or almond to be a bit different... :)

100-0004_IMG_3.jpg

100-0003_IMG_3.jpg

100-0001_IMG_4-1.jpg

100-0002_IMG_2.jpg

looking good man! on those springs i woudl sugest using bed liner or rubberized undercoating... that will allow for a good flex and will hold up 1000000% better, paint can not bend and bow like that so it will chip after a while of use... where the other stuff above will not

The trick with getting the engine in and out is to strip the bike down to frame, wheels and motor only. Loosen all the engine mounts, lay the bike on it's side (on an old mattress or tyres), and then remove the mounts and lift the frame off the motor.

BTW - I had a giggle at the 400 motor being heavy. I did my old GS1150 by myself....that was heavy :eek:

Nice work so far ;)

I really like the profile you'll have with the seat hump a few inches lower than the top of the tank...looks good w/ either tank.

well, i got some more work done today on the old scoot. i painted the lowers last night as per JRK5892 (you are the epoxy king, brother) and they came out insane looking. just like powdercoat.. i swear!! i painted the upper gauge halfs which also came out nice, except one started falling off the rack. guess what your natural reaction is to do, you guessed it. now my damn long finger marks are in one. i'll wait the week then sanded them down. the rear shocks are assembled and done. i have to wait for my soda media blaster to come in to get the frame,tank and swingarm stripped to paint. i am still stuck on a color to paint it. i thought of a penny color or something different besides just black. even white would sure pop out at ya. who knows at this point. i stripped the stock seat to get to the rusty pan (need a tetnise shot now) and trimmed it to the ends of the frame for the fiberwork i have to do. i kind of like the hump the po made , but still not sure if i am truely happy with the look.

question for you guys... does the hump usually stop at the end of the frame or do you guys extend it pass? and how much if so..

here are some pics of the work i did , enjoy...i hope please suggestions are welcome first time cafe builder here. pros and cons
100-0008_IMG.jpg

100-0006_IMG.jpg

100-0004_IMG_4.jpg

100-0003_IMG_5.jpg

100-0001_IMG_5.jpg

it's been awhile since i posted, but have been working on the cb350. frame and swingarm are done along with the shocks mounted up. i have a bunch of other things i can start to put this bad boy together finally. my media blaster finally came in yesterday,so now i can get my but in gear. here is the pic of the frame mocked up. more pics soon
DSCN0233.jpg

DSCN0232.jpg

i work for car dealership and had the body shop spray it the color of are wheels. bright silver metallic with clearcoat

I like that frame also, but I wonder how it will look after a year of riding. Might be hard to keep clean looking. Beautiful though.-MBS

it's been awhile since i posted up here... got a good amount done on cafe steel resevre... seat is painted waiting for racing number and clearcoat. engine is getting the spary treatment as we speak.i started installing some of the stainless screws from the kit and they really pop out from the black case. i install steering taper bearing ( what a pita -lol) but seems like a once you do it thing next time is better.. save the old balls for mock up!!! very important guys.. not sure what to do for rear sets just yet but sure have alot of stuff ready to go back on the 211 scoot! here are some pics

DSCN0261.jpg

DSCN0271.jpg

DSCN0273.jpg

should i paint the head fins silver then black on top or paint silver all the way up.. i can't make up my mind..

was able to get the engine in the frame with the help of the old lady. polished the upper forks and dropped them in also. i am happy cause it's starting to look like a bike again.

DSCN0278.jpg

Looks good. What paint did you use for the silver color on the engine?? -MBS

dupont engine enamel 500 degree. thanks bud.. how's the recovering going?

ok i have the wiring harness pretty much done and just going through the final touches before wrapping it. my friend painted up the numbers on the seat and i just have to clear it. next is the tank work and the wheels. not sure on how to do up the paint look as of yet.. want to keep the look going acroos the whole bike. here is a pic of the seat.

DSCN0298.jpg

Back
Top Bottom