1979 CM400 T

hardy

So, I got my first bike a couple months ago and also my lisense. She's a 1979 Honda CM400 T. Unfortunatly Insurance is way to dam much so im gonna see if I can get it looking and running how i'd like it to for next summer. Its gonna be very slow, As I work full time and have alot to learn motorcycle wise. I thank all of you for the inspiration and patience in advance

4363kig_201-1.jpg

Thats how she started pre purchase, I stared at that pic while eating my home made lunches, and counting the change in my piggy bank, while contemplating a loan. I thank that fine gentlean for being patient with me.

DSC00739.jpg

The day I learned to ride my "ONDA" lol
those vinals sucks

i'm just starting on my 81 cm400 t. its good to see another one. i think maritime biker and some others are working on them too. what insurance company are you trying to go through? i got progressive on mine for 75 bucks a year

Are you in Canada or state side? I pay 420.00 a year to insure here in Canada which is cheap in my Province, it is 70.00 monthly for 6 months and I have only had a bike license for 1 year. By 3 years licensed with no accidents it will cost about 75-100 a year for this little 400cc. These bikes are super easy to work on, check out Canuck Plumbers build and you can see what potential they have. His build is sick, very custom, and there is another red bike with a roc city seat that is well done and clean as well. Mine is half cafe until I can get another 2-up bike then it will go full out. I

Cheers,

Maritime

For my 81' CM400e the policy was $87 (Dairyland), I also am a new rider. Not sure what other fees you may have associated with it, but to register my bike here in Wyoming it will be a whopping $19 for a year. I think I can handle that. ;)
On a slightly different topic, what kind gas mileage do you guys get with your 400's? I finally ran mine to the reserve the other day and got right at 40MPG. I was hoping for a bit more, but compared to my truck it is a very economical ride back and forth to work.
Look forward to seeing more of your CM build!

I have gotten as good as 50 MPG US when running steady at 50-60 MPH. When I do a lot in town it drops to 40 or if I hit the freeway and run at 70-80 MPH it drops to 40. I want a bigger tank as I get about 90-100 miles before reserve and then not much more before I have to fill up. Sucks on longer trips. I also have an 82 CB450T hawk motor now but I got the same out of the 400 before it tanked. The main difference between the 2 motors is the 6 speed and more pick up from the 450 than the 400 had. This motor runs strong but I am using oil. On a 100 mile trip I use half a quart of oil. So I am going to tear it down this winter and do rings, valves and seals. Should be easy as all that can be done without removing the engine rom the bike. I might even do pistrons and bore it out too, we'll see what funds are available.

Cheers,

DAMMMMMMM

i understand your hesitation. keep shopping, but if you gotta wait, you gotta wait.
on the other hand, if i took all my joyriding time from when i shouldn't be riding (ie front brake not working, turn signal busted) i might have a lot more done on the bike.

however, there is light at the end of the tunnel. i'm only 24, just married and only have a permit to motorcycle and got the 75 dollar rate.

Do you HAVE to insure your bike? I mean, how much did the bike cost you anyway?? I don't have any of my bikes insured, but then again I don't owe any money on them and they are no overly valuable (assuming you are insuring against theft).

In Canada you have to liability insurance and some in provinces you get hosed for it. Did you take the MSF Course? I did and some of the companies, like the one i am with gave a big discount for it. I saved the price of the course in the first year. 2500 sounds steep even for Ontario. I am in NB and we have pretty high rates, but then again I am 33 married and have been driving accident free for 17 years (cars). I only have PLPD (liability) on my bike as it cost less than most companies deductables for collision fire and theft. Make sure you tell them it is only a 400cc and not a sport bike. Call everywhere and ask some of the TO DTT members as some companies don't know squat about bikes and just quote high to cover their buts. I am with TD insurance and they have a bike specific division. good luck, just don't drive without insurance as the fines can end up being as high as the premium would have been.

Cheers,

maritime

Maritime Biker said:
In Canada you have to liability insurance and some in provinces you get hosed for it.

Ahhh - OK that makes sense now

Seems like we're pretty lucky here in Oz ;)

Ive been trying to loosen some bolts. The first intension was to drain the oil but that bolt keeps stripping. The second was removing the carbs to clean em but the bolts arent moving. Any tips besides WD40 soaking. To get these suckers off.

Thanks yall

STOP!

You need an impact driver right off the bat. Works wonders for engine case screws etc. Princess Auto + $8 or so and you'll have a kit. If you want one fast I have a couple extra sets. Picked them up at PA a week ago on sale for $5. I'm near High Park.

Get a pic of the oil bolt that's stripping. You might have to vice-grip it off and replace it.

any Toronto folk know any good bolt/ fastener shops that wont get pissed off when i walk in with a bunch of old ones that need replacing?

Brafasco.

Or just go into Home Depot / Rona / Canadian tire with your list of bolts and find what you need. But if you just want to hand someone a bunch of bolts and replace them all, Brafasco.

Your parts manual should have the specs on the bolt sizes so you can just write them down. Or get out your ruler and measure the lengths of the bolts you need. Most will likely be 6mm bolts, but confirm the diameter too.

So I went a semi blind rampage on Tuesday, and I refuse to regret it.
Back to the issue about my stipped bolt,
IMG_8995.jpg
and I also wasnt sure which one was the oil drain bolt. Bigger one on the left or small stripped one in the middle?

I think im gonna be doing the K&N filters, despite the downfalls. Any help on jetting tips? Im gonna try to clean my carbs tonight.
Heres some pics of the sauna garage rucus.
IMG_8985.jpg
excuse the mess and bad pics
IMG_8986.jpg

IMG_8988.jpg

IMG_8989.jpg

IMG_8990.jpg

IMG_8991.jpg

1-2 steps up on the main + space up the needles with 1-2 washers (#4 IIRC)

If you've already stripped the screws, you gotta drill them. The screws are m6, IIRC, so drill with a 1/4" bit, It will pop the heads off easy, then you can pull the cover and the remainder should turn out very easily.

As for the bolts the horizontal appears to be the drain plug, and the vertical is for the oil filter. I haven't messed with my CM400 yet, didn't even think they had oil filters.

I also had the same problem with my cm400's oil drain plug. All i did was find the BIGGEST pair of channel locks i could get my hands on, and squeeze hard and pray. It popped loose and i already had ordered a new one with a larger head.

Back
Top Bottom