'78 SR500 project

Terry

Been Around the Block
Well, I guess I'm far enough along with this bike that I can post some pics. I started with a 78 Yamaha SR500, a little less than 10K on it and not really abused but kinda neglected, paid about 800 bucks from a guy up in St. Mary's, Ga. I added a 36mm Mikuni kit from Thumperstuff because the stock carb is realy a POS and a Supertrap can with a White Bros. head pipe from a guy over on the SR500 Forum. That really helped the little thumper to breathe but getting the jetting right was a bitch, thank goodness changing the jets on this Mikuni is really easy, just loosen the clamp, turn 90 degrees, drop the bowl and you're there. Also did all the crap that one does with an old bike to get caught up on the maintainence, all fluids, new cables or lube the old ones, adjust the clutch etc. You guys know the drill.
So, what am I gonna do with this thing?? I hated the color, I hated the 70's style chromed Japanese look, so I started looking at projects over on the SR500 Forum and discovered quite a following in OZ, England and Japan. Some very intresting and astondingly creative 500's and 400's. But I've always had a "thing" for BSA Goldstars and Norton Manx's, I'll never be able to own a real one unless I win the lottery or one just happens to appear in my garage, very unlikely! But I can attempt to get the "feel" of those bikes from this little thumper. So I'll attach pics of the bike as I got it, a couple of inspirational ones and more as I go along. I hope I get what I see in my head.

Terry
J'ville, Fl.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 328
  • Norton%20Inter%20Manx%20WYL893%20098.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 310
  • bsa_dbd_34.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 302
Here are some more pics and thoughts. Painted the fenders, headlight shell, speedo case, and side covers with epoxy paint. I have no idea if it will stick to the fenders as all I did was sand them with a 120 grit flap disc on my grinder, then 400 grit by hand, primed with self etching and then laid it on, we'll see. The side covers I tried duplicolor black without success, I have no idea why, so, what the hell, I tried the epoxy and it worked better than I imagined it would. Must have been all that paint as primer. Also got the wheels done with Eastwood aluminum wheel paint. I really wanted to change the Yamaha black on the mags. I also got another tank from a guy over on the SR500 Forum as this bike fell over in my driveway putting a huge dent in the tank and crushing my favorite Nolan helmet. Stripped the "new" tank and decided to try to polish it, can't afford an aluminum tank, so why not! It came out pretty good, even if I do say so myself! Waiting on the new seat to show up so I can finish whatever fab it takes to mount the damn thing and then start to reassemble. Advice, comments or questions are alway welcome

Terry
J'ville, Fl.

Attachments

• SR500 tin 001.JPG
    SR500 tin 001.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 340
  • SR500 tin 004.JPG
    SR500 tin 004.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 308
  • SR500 tin 007.JPG
    SR500 tin 007.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 313
Engine was fine, I just added a VM34 carb kit with a White Bros. pipe and Supertrapp muffler. Most all other work was just cosmetic. I've got to rebuild the front caliper and then I think I'm gonna sell it to finanace a new project.

Terry
J'ville, Fl.

Back
Top Bottom