We noticed you are blocking ads. DO THE TON only works with community supporters. Most are active members of the site with small businesses. Please consider disabling your ad blocking tool and checking out the businesses that help keep our site up and free.
Had a couple of days were it got warm enough for me to set the idle. It took me about an hour, but she’s idling around a 1000 and sounds pretty good. I’m sure she need some more adjustments come summer, but for now I’m happy.
Can't get the bike to idle under 2500 rpms. There is just not enough slack in the cable for the throttle valve to fully sit at the bottom. So, I have removed half an inch of casing from the throttle cable, this has given me now play(slack). It still looks clean and can not be seen, but gives me...
So was at Highway Cycle today and picked up these beauties!!
Burak-Bye racing bells
No they are not new, just gone over a polishing wheel once.
And here they are mounted on the carbs,
Fit like a dream and really sets the look I so wanted to have.
Had a few issues to get the girl running with the new carbs.
1st time I tried I couldn't get the revs under 6000, issue was the cables didn't have enough slack.
So swapped out the throttle with the chock cables and they work better. Got the revs down to 2000. Need a bit move playing with the...
Thanks Cookie, it just takes time.
I've built a few bikes now and I can't say this is going to be my last. This old girl is keeping me busy and I'm always coming up with other ideas for her too. Because of that she will be always going through changes and updates.
So I got the new old 930 Amal twin carbs installed. Still need to dial them in, but need it to be a little warmer first. I did test fire and they worked.
Here's the pics of them mounted on the bike.
You can see the manifold/spacer first with a breather hose joining the two, next is a thick...
So got the manifold from Highway Cycle last Monday and the studs from a local nut and bolt shot. Got some 5/16 coarse x 2" long studs that really worked well.
Now I'm just waiting for some new gaskets to put it all together permanently, did a test fit and everything matted up nicely.
Well winter work starts again on the old girl. Pulled off the single carb and going over to twin Amal 930 carbs. Looking forward to see how much better the top end performance will be.
Have two resleeved Amal 930 carbs with cables.
But still need to get studs and nuts, manifolds to attach...
Replaced both rear bearings and greased everything up nicely and put it all back together, but have an issue. The play is gone (wiggle) on the rear wheel, but when I rotate the wheel it has a tight spot. Not sure what the cause is, will take the wheel off again and see if I can see anything...
Had to order up a few new parts yesterday, have some play on the rear wheel (wiggle). When I pulled the bearings out and spindles, they looked as if they were from 1968 and never serviced, not good. I guess it was overlooked during the rebuild, was able to get most of the parts from British...
So here is the scary part of the build:
For this build I was able to keep a detailed record of the cost and parts and some outside labor (engine work). The personal hour of labor are not add to this list and a few things I may have over looked.
Part # Description Quantity...
Just as you all know, she will always be a on going project.
Here's a few things I still want to up date and add. but there is no time frame.
Aluminum spot faring
Twin lead shoe drum brake or better
Swept back pipes
Re: 1972 CL350 -- Introduction and First Time Build
The headlamp maybe off a old Brit bike too, but not a very fast one 80 mph. But it was a nice pick.
Those pipes are really sweet, I hope they are still in descent shape.