We noticed you are blocking ads. DO THE TON only works with community supporters. Most are active members of the site with small businesses. Please consider disabling your ad blocking tool and checking out the businesses that help keep our site up and free.
Small scale progress today.
reinstalled alternator, points, clutch cover, chain
decided to tale apart the speedo and tacho for new faces, all went well and they look good i think
Tomorrow i’ll fit the needles, am going plain white, rebuild and reinstall.
then i’ll twiddle my thumbs...
not knowing this i used a three foot breaker bar and a loop of strong but thin rope to lever the spring back on!
I’m really pleased with progress today, pistons in and ready for head install
pistons went into the bores ok, although the lack of much of an entry chamfer ( due to...
Started reassembly this morning, going well!
first i reinstalled the centrestand, that spring is a ba$tard to tension !
refitting the cases was really easy, i just used half an eva foam tile to protect the frame and lifted it in, installed the rear lower bolt then the upper fronts, cut the tile...
Finished painting today and baked the engine parts in the oven.
Apart from the steel liners coming loose in the Aluminium barrels in the oven...... all went well!
realised i needed to put the centrestand back on before the engine goes in, to make the frame stand straight and stable, so painted...
Dreary day here so set up paint booth in the garage with heating and dehumidfer going... please with the results !
i plan to cure the paint on the small parts in the oven, any suggestions for the crankcases?
Barrels are back from the engineer, bored and honed nicely!
i’ve cleaned and degreased the head and barrels ready for paint too
used a wire wheel, lots of dremel brushes and then brake cleaner for the prep, then masked mating surfaces with scotch tape.
planning to paint over the weekend
Jimbo, that does look great.
i’ve pretty much decided to go silver / aluminium for the paint and stainless bolts.
i’ts a scheme that worked well on my first ever honda build, a cb400f about a decade ago!
i might add some black details this time.....
On the 750F I just rebuilt i had some issues with the multipin connectors being corroded, particularly the red one to the cdi units which made it run on 2 cyls for a while!
they’re neater than the mass of bullet connectors on the ‘70s bikes but getting old now
Lockdown here in the UK look set for a while, so i’ve decided to remove Scruffy’s engine for a repaint.
today i stripped off the rest of the covers, which i think i’ll polish, starter etc and will remove the engine and bolt it into my engine stand over the weekend.
For the repaint i was...