YZF750/1000R - The Fly

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
Sonreir said:
Please post pics. Ernie's thread isn't what it once was...
He is sending pics tomorrow. I'll post it up if I get it. His is used but in supposedly nice shape. I can find new ones as well so I'll wait and see.
 

Redbird

Dolor est Magister Optimus
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hey Kelly, would you be interested in a set of NOS 94 FZR1000 fairing lowers?
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
Time to fire this thread up again. I'm taking one of my parts bikes and attempting to get it running. I want a track bike. I took my ZRX to the local track this past weekend and it lit up my brain like a Christmas tree. A YZF would be better at the track and I have a few so ..... (Clem predicted this....lol)

I brought this back from the boonies of New Mexico on a snowy day at Bluewater lake a few years ago. It's the one I call the brown weirdo bike or #4. It's in rough shape but the motor looks more likely to be a runner than the others. It's been "tinkered" with by the PO's (dad and son) so I've been un-tinkering what they did and doing some cleanup. They had messed with the harness, used the front brake master as a clutch master, lamp cord with no fuse for the fuel pump, etc.... I'm pretty sure they had a Ronco home piercing kit and practiced on each other by the looks too. They were nice folks, as they kept telling me, which was odd but should not have been tinkering with motorcycles. Luckily I have plenty of spare parts and a set of race fairings from Airtech.yzf4_cleanup.jpg
 
Last edited:

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
Left to right, my survivor 94', the 94' brown weirdo bike and the 97' parts bike (with a cracked neck). I wanted to fire up the 97' as it only had 4100 miles on it when somebody ran it into something but the intakes look too crusty from wherever it sat. My guess is water got in the heads, dammit. The brown bike is a good roller and had about 16k on it's odometer. Still more to do before I can try to fire it up but I'm hoping like hell it's a runner. [edit] I call it the brown (weirdo) bike because the PO's had used an adobe colored latex house paint on the bodywork.3yzfs.jpg
 
Last edited:

clem

static fluff
DTT BOTM WINNER
I'm in.....again. The track is addictive. I've been considering selling my RD350 to buy a small bore dedicated track bike. I'd rather focus on coner speed and consistency from lap to lap vs having a screaming 600cc trying to destroy me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
clem said:
I'm in.....again. The track is addictive. I've been considering selling my RD350 to buy a small bore dedicated track bike. I'd rather focus on coner speed and consistency from lap to lap vs having a screaming 600cc trying to destroy me.
My goal is skills improvement too but I want to do it on a screaming 750 that is trying to destroy me. Man vs Beast.
 

teazer

Active Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
You would rather do it on a 1000cc bike that revs almost as high? I can respect that approach.

My reflexes are not good enough to arrive at corners at warp speed anymore. That's where a CB160 comes in handy. Lots of time to think and meditate and contemplate the next corner which will arrive any minute now. :)

The only suggestion I would make is to stock up on consumables like bars and levers and footpegs and get case covers/savers because gravity will kick in at the most inconvenient times. Having a spares kit, allows you to kick it straight, replace necessary parts and get back to the fun.
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
teazer said:
You would rather do it on a 1000cc bike that revs almost as high? I can respect that approach.
The track was setup for their short course so I literally ran the whole track in only 2nd gear. The ZRX is easy like that with wide a torque range but it also a bit less nimble than I'd like. It's my baby, I've owned it since it came off the showroom floor and I know how I'll feel if I drop it.

teazer said:
My reflexes are not good enough to arrive at corners at warp speed anymore. That's where a CB160 comes in handy. Lots of time to think and meditate and contemplate the next corner which will arrive any minute now. :)
Lol. I am not fast. I'm faster than a CB160 but probably only in the straights....

teazer said:
The only suggestion I would make is to stock up on consumables like bars and levers and footpegs and get case covers/savers because gravity will kick in at the most inconvenient times. Having a spares kit, allows you to kick it straight, replace necessary parts and get back to the fun.
Yep, I've got enough for a slide or two and then some. I'm a fan of the nylon bobbin style frame, wheel and swingarm sliders. I'll order up a load of stuff once I see if this engine is a go. I've ordered the minimum amount of stuff necessary so far but I'm waiting on a few small consumables like o-rings and exhaust gaskets. This bike seems to have been a CA model. The thermostat manifold is different on this one vs. the others. The stock exhaust collector is slightly different too.
 

teazer

Active Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
Does it still have the EXUP system in place? IIRC that was supposed to help low to mid range but reportedly lost some top end. If it's still there might be good for that short track.
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
teazer said:
Does it still have the EXUP system in place? IIRC that was supposed to help low to mid range but reportedly lost some top end. If it's still there might be good for that short track.
Yep, EXUP is staying. It will be an essentially stock bike for now. Our track has a longer setup that they alternate, next month is the larger course. I may still end up on the ZRX for this next one if I can make it.
 

clem

static fluff
DTT BOTM WINNER
Did you buy leathers? I've been eyeing up a set of RST. Their kangaroo hide gloves feel great and are set at a really good price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
clem said:
Did you buy leathers? I've been eyeing up a set of RST. Their kangaroo hide gloves feel great and are set at a really good price.
Not yet but I'm watching ebay. The club out here has stuff to lend until I find a set. I'll take a look at RST.
 

clem

static fluff
DTT BOTM WINNER
That's what I've been doing also instead it's rentals. RST is a UK brand and the track day coordinator here sells it. He also wears it too so that says a lot.
I have a CB160 for sale if either of you need one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app
 

DTT Sponsors

www.dimecitycycles.com
www.cognitomoto.com
https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers
www.speedmotoco.com
www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com
www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com
www.lostapostlejewelry.com
www.sparckmoto.com
Top Bottom