Bar End Mirror Question

HerrDeacon

Over 1,000 Posts
I'm looking at getting bar end mirrors to go on clubman handlebars. I was interested in round ones but I've been noticing that all the ones I've looked at have convex mirrors. Is this the norm for round ones? What are the pros and cons to convex mirrors? I like the look of the round ones but if the convex mirror gives a weird view then I won't bother and just get another style that has a flat mirror.

Thanks
 
The rounded ones have the ability to show more around you, but it does have the effect of "Objects in this mirror are closer then they appear".

I don't like them, but it's really up to you.
 
I didn't like the bar end mirror I had on. I couldn't see anything, even after I added a convex one on top!

I found I'd have to turn my head too far to see the mirror.
I like being able to glance every 10~20 seconds in my mirrors.
The bar end was a PITA to me.
 
in my expierience a properly adjusted bar end mirror will allow for generally better view than the regular stem mirrors when riding in a tucked position. if you ride in an upright cruiser style then dont bother with it.

I use one napolean style bar end mirror and I think it does its job fine. but then again I use my mirrors more as a warning for where not to go than an indication of where its safe to go,I always check by turning my head rather than the mirrors anyway.
 
Thanks guys for the reponses. I don't think I'll bother with the convex ones, I don't think I'll like the view. Still undecided about the bar ends though, I guess it's up to personal preference. I'll probably pick up both and try them out to see what's best. I like knowing whats around me at all times, so I need ones that do the job.
 
I have napoleon bar ends on my Thunderbird. It took a short period to get used to them, but they are absolutely vibe free & provide an excellent rear view. As far as convex mirrors go, I drive a truck for a living & count on my convex mirrors more than my regular ones. They don't give you a detailed view of what's behind you, but they give you a much larger field of vision. Once again, it's something you have to get used to. Besides, only an idiot would change lanes on a bike based solely on the info from his/her mirrors, convex or not.
 
Back
Top Bottom