CB750 Wheels

Ease

83 XJ650RK, 77 TS-250
OK, so quick question...
I have some cash floating around now that I have to save for my brothers wedding next spring... BUT, there is a bike for sale here locally (a hondamatic 750) that has some sought after rims.

THink it'd be worth the turnaround to buy and sell this bike with a rim swap?
He's asking $1400.00

1184795800843_bike_resized.jpg
 
hmmmmm.. I dont know...
Depends on what you can actually get the bike for and how much the rims are workth on the market...
Were you gonna sell the rims or keep them for yourself...
 
locOleoN said:
hmmmmm.. I dont know...
Depends on what you can actually get the bike for and how much the rims are workth on the market...
Were you gonna sell the rims or keep them for yourself...

I was thinking about offoring 1200, e-baying the rims, and trying to sell the bike again for 1400.

I've heard of guys on another forum doing this but I can't remember how much the wheels fetch on e-bay. Trying now to even remember what they are. I know they're aluminum and used on race bikes... and that they are stock on the hondamatics.

Same as these:
2740_12.JPG
 
The rims you are referring to are probably high shouldered alloy Akronts. They are available on their own. It would be a big hassle to buy the bike, swap the wheels and resell the bike. I suggest just buying a pair and getting them relaced. The 750 Hondamatic is not that collectable of a bike.
 
Well it's for the hubs too... same as on a CB750s apparently.

But yeah, I was wondering because I've heard of the wheels going for 250 a piece. If there was a market for em i'd buy the bike, get used wheels at a salvage yard, swap em out and sell it all again. No trouble to do the work. Just re-selling the bike. And I could use the $400 bucks right now for such little legwork (including approx $50 each for replacement wheels of course).

But I was told buy someone on another forum that the hondamatics don't sell fast or well. So I'm sayin shag it.
 
I wouldn't bother. They're not Akronts, they're actually DID rims, so not worth as much, and can be had on ebay for not all that much. I bought both of the Hondamatic DID rims (and hubs) that I plan on using for my CB550 for less than 200 bucks combined. Also, the DID rims are anodized clear, and look like crap when that deteriorates. Its a major pain in the butt to removed the anodizing and polish them too, just FYI.
 
I have one of these front rims. Bought it at a swap meet - no spokes/hubs, just the rim. 40 hole 19" DID alloy rim.

It's a lot of effort to go through to get the rims. I'd wait and hunt them down online. As a start you can have mine for $20 + shipping. No use to me as I've sold my Honda.
 
Back
Top Bottom