CL200 question

Dirk D

New Member
Hi. I've been lurking a while and decide to sign up and utilze all the info on this forum. I'm buying a 1974 CL200 and was wondering if there is a rearset made that won't interfere with the kickstart. I like the look and feel of the Motobits but they claim kickstart issues. Any info will help. Thanks in advance.
 
As far as I know, there's no rear sets made that wont give you issues. But you can either bend the kicker arm out a little bit or if you search through my cl175 build, I made mine a "pull start".
 
Who decided that electric start is so uncool? For one, it looks way more suave to hop on your bike, push a button and ride away than to spend 3 minutes jumping up and down trying to get the bike to light.
 
Nobody says its uncool. Its heavy, and uneccesary. Weight is bad for buisness when the buisness is going fast. Especially on a 200cc bike wich you can start with your hand. And if youre spending three minutes "jumping up and down" on your bike, you need to worry more about why your bike isnt starting correctly, than how "suave" you look riding it. Just saying...
 
Thanks for the response but the bike was sold. I'm now looking for something more my size like a 550. The 200 would have been fun but tiny for me.
It doesnt look like Motobits makes them for the 550. Any other nice ones out there?
 
VonYinzer said:
Nobody says its uncool. Its heavy, and uneccesary. Weight is bad for buisness when the buisness is going fast. Especially on a 200cc bike wich you can start with your hand. And if youre spending three minutes "jumping up and down" on your bike, you need to worry more about why your bike isnt starting correctly, than how "suave" you look riding it. Just saying...
oh yea!?! your spelling is terrible! ;)
The point I was trying to make is that with a forum full of guys outfitting bikes with modern shocks, ingition and other modern innovations, an electric start is an odd one to go out of your way to remove. I am pretty sure in all 50 states you don't need turn signals but there are endless threads about how to make led turn signals work. That said, there IS something badass about a kick start...except while carb tuning lol.
 
Actually, in the cafe aspect of the site, an electric starter is the obvious thing to remove.

I agree 100% about leaving it on as long as possible through the tuning aspect though.
 
HA! My spelling does suck.
Its all about weight savings. Turnsignals are actually required in most places, but they are a safety issue none the less. And they dont weigh much.
Upgraded suspension allows for a better handling (and faster) motorcycle. Thats the whole point of these bikes.
Electric legs are heavy and not a performance enhancing part in any way.

DirkD: You can make any rearsets work with a little creativity. As long as you can weld some sort of mount onto the frame that will support the rearsets, you can make them work.
 
Damn it, I hate you guys and you "valid points." You may win this round, but I am keeping my starter...for now...until I crumble to peer pressure.
 
Hahaha... To each their own man. I have little bikes. Biggest is a 350. You can kick them over whille sitting down on the bike. Just never felt the need to have a starter. Hell my R5 didint even have one when new. Gotta love two strokes...
 
Back
Top Bottom