Overcharging..WTF??!!!

locOleoN

Is that the best you got? OK.. now my TURN...
Any of you electronic gurus have any idea what would cause a 78 cb750k to overcharge causing the battery to fry up every time?
I got a buddy who's bike keep charging the battery at 15.5volts and frying the battery everytime.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

cheers
 
DrJ said:
Bad regulator/rectifier.

Agreed with Dr. J.

There are basically two typs of rectifiers/regulators:

Active and Passive

Passive rectifiers/regulators are basically a capacitor with a bunch of resistors. It stores all of the electricity in the capacitor which then regulates the amount of electricty it passes through. All extra electricy becomes heat.

Active Rectifiers/regulators have an extra line which basically monitors how much power is going through and increases or decreases the resistance in the capacitor to generate the perfect amount of electricity.

When a passive rectifier/regulator goes, you either get too much juice or little to no juice.

I haven't had an active rectifier/regulator fail yet, however, if the monitoring lead isn't attached properly (usually to the coil lead) then you get too much juice. That's exactly what I did wrong with the BMW when I upgraded the altenator/rectifier, and why I blew out every lamp and relay on my bike.
 
Scarcat said:
Agreed with Dr. J.

There are basically two typs of rectifiers/regulators:

Active and Passive

Passive rectifiers/regulators are basically a capacitor with a bunch of resistors. It stores all of the electricity in the capacitor which then regulates the amount of electricty it passes through. All extra electricy becomes heat.

Active Rectifiers/regulators have an extra line which basically monitors how much power is going through and increases or decreases the resistance in the capacitor to generate the perfect amount of electricity.

When a passive rectifier/regulator goes, you either get too much juice or little to no juice.

I haven't had an active rectifier/regulator fail yet, however, if the monitoring lead isn't attached properly (usually to the coil lead) then you get too much juice. That's exactly what I did wrong with the BMW when I upgraded the altenator/rectifier, and why I blew out every lamp and relay on my bike.

Interesting side note...Suzukis (especially early models, as they had separate Rectifiers and Regulators) are notorious for blowing them...Most guys who rebuild/restore/hopup Zooks often use Honda R/Rs...hehehe
 
Back
Top Bottom