Perfomance mods?!

Gordon

Been Around the Block
Well, I've been seeing through some builds and most of them concentrate only on exteriors or visual modifications. Doesn't anyone here do some performance modifications?! Would be great help to get first hand information.
 
Some of the visual mods can be performance enhancing as well. Such as drilling the brakes or onther parts for less weight and wet stopping improvement.
I can see where your coming from though.

Over the years my bike has had many modificatios done.
The suspension has been changed to progressive fork springs and a fork brace to stiffen up the front end. Forks have been raised in the trees.
The rear shocks were switched to Koni dial-a-rides, as the stock rears don't last long.
My engine has had a rebore, porting work, competition 3 angle valve job, 4 into 1 exhaust & an oil cooler added. Also over the years have had swaps between points and electronic ignitions a few times for various reasons, including a Dyna system that fried after 8 years. I will be attempting a swap to a later model electronic again this Winter.
I did what is refered to as the WG coil wire mod, which essentially wires the coils dirrectly to the battery, giving a solid 12+ volts to the coils, using an automotive relay to fire them, thus by-passing the Ign. switch and kill switch and related wiring, which all causes loss of power to the coils.
My air box has been modified to allow more air to enter by adding holes to the stock air box. I did use Pod air filters for many years, but switched back to a stock air box because of problems with wet wether and gusts of wind.
I added the Rickman fairing and chin scoop to give an aerodynamic advantage and visual bling.

This Winter I will be concentrating on my rear end. I will be rebuilding the Konis with new seals and springs, as one is leaking 20 years later. I will also be swapping to a stock length (don't want a longer, slower steering) custom made, braced swingarm.
Also will (I hope) be adding a solo seat (H2R fiberglass) seat.

Changes seem to be an on going thing.

Here's a wiring diagram showing how the WG coil wiring mod is done:
CoilWiringMod4a.jpg
 
Gordon said:
Well, I've been seeing through some builds and most of them concentrate only on exteriors or visual modifications. Doesn't anyone here do some performance modifications?! Would be great help to get first hand information.

What kind of peformance mods did you have in mind?...what exactly do you want your bike to do? & how much do you want to spend?
Lets start there...
 
You're right, most of what I've seen here is cafe racer styling, maybe a slight reduction in overall weight, but really just the look. Performance mods for your bike would include larger carb, ported head, less restrictive exhaust, higher compression - the basics. Pick up a copy of "Tuning For Speed" by Philip Irving.
Weight reduction will help too. Alloy rims should be at the top of any cafe racer builders list.

Have a look here...
http://www.chuckhawks.com/royal_enfield_letter2.htm

http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/store-performance-c-1_38.html
 
The motor in my fighter has had just about everything done to it short of a big bore and stroke.....Cams, Carbs, Ported & Polished, big valves, clutch, relieved, and blueprinted. 127hp at the rear wheel...not bad for a 90 750 lump ;D
 
All I've done to my bike is:

  • Install a 120 size main jet (stock is 90).
  • Local made Goldstar silencer. It sounds soooo good.

Porting and polishing: Would like some information on this. Is it possible to perform this ourselves or is it too risky?!
 
You can smooth out the ports with a die grinder or sanding cylinder. That will provide better flow. Just make sure you clean out all the filings. But if you want to change the shape or the ports better leave that to a pro.
 
This is literally the besttt performance modified Enfield I've known. It is the AHRMA Classic Sixties National Champion, 2003.

re@barber1.jpg


"The Royal Enfield Bullet appears an underdog in the midst of the legendary Norton and Matchless competition specials, but I have always believed that the race does not belong to the swiftest, but to those that keep on running. After five decades, the Royal Enfield Bullets keep on running!"

Check this link for more information: http://homepage.mac.com/ddennis/DRSraceteam.html

To see the list of modifications alongwith pics: http://homepage.mac.com/ddennis/DRSraceteam2.html
 
Back
Top Bottom