Savage Love!- aka Suzuki savage tracker

Re: Suzuki savage tracker

njrmahoney said:
I have an old rd400 Yamaha tank from an old bike i was going to try to adapt, but I think i will stick with stock for now.

Ill take that rd tank off your hands if you're willing to sell it! Been looking for one for a while now for my kz.
 
Re: Suzuki savage tracker

So what ever happened to this build?? The bike looks sick!

What year and model KZ did those wheels come off of? I'd love to use those on the hardtailed savage I'm building. 8)
 
Re: Suzuki savage tracker

Is that colour on the tank stock ? I'm looking for exactly that colour in a Satin finish ! 8)
 
Re: Suzuki savage tracker

I like this too.......especially the wheels.

Wonder if they'll fit a honda?
 
heres my latest: I received a big'o box of parts from Brian at SpeedMotoCo. He has a lot of stuff in stock, and is pretty in the know on the cafe/tracker/bobber stuff. anyways,
I ordered a tail light, header wrap, some special sprockets, and some switches for my 7/8" handlebars.

seems every time I get to work on this thing, or think about it, more pops up that I need, or need to do! which is ok, as I love doing this kind of stuff.
this week I fabbed up a kickstand mount. yeah-yeah..... Ryca sells one...... and no one seems that impressed by it. AND it's $190! So I took some measurements, made
a card board template, and went about carving on some stainless steel. I like stainless. it's, well,..... stainless, it polishes up beautifully, if not easily, and looks great forever.
A constant theme on every bike I own, and build is SS fasteners. I love me some SS socket head cap screws!!! I must confess, it took me 2 try's to get this right. By "right", I mean
"perfect" for me. the first version would've worked just fine..... but I felt as if it was 1/2"-3/4" too low, and I wanted to tuck it up under the bike as much as possible.




the kick stand isnt in full swing because I have to shorten it considerably. already cut 2" off, and I think at least an inch or 2 more will be cut off before it's over with.

tail light



sexy front brake rotor, EBC




a little info about the bike, some questions that we're posted: the wheels are off of 2 different Kawaski KZ's; the front is KZ1300, and the rear is KZ1000.
KZ-wheel-ology is VERY confusing..... so don't just jump on ebay and buy some wheels from those models. I specifically wanted 18" wheels, and a certain width.
In hindsight, I wish I would've picked a different front, as the KZ1300 is the of the bastard child of KZ's, and has a very limited aftermarket rotor availbility.
As far as what these wheels would fit, I say where there's a will, there's a way!!! seriously, I think this is probably the 6th or 7th wheel conversion I've done,
and none of them have been "easy", but they've all worked! It's easier if the axle sizes are the same, and if not, hopefully the host has smaller axles, or there's an
available bearing swap possibility.

I really wanted to go with a Brembo front brake brake, but I want to get it riding sooner than later, and that's something that always be changed at a later date.
after all, a project is never REALLY done, is it???? 8)
the front brake bracket to accomadate the stock stopper is done, pics to follow!

So, the project hasn't died, although it HAS taken significantly longer than I hoped, and wanted it to.... mostly due to personal time constraints than anything else.
I have 2 boys, 4 and 1, and they seem to eat up time like a bike project eats up money!!! The bike is looking exactly how I want it to, and I'm really happy with how it has taken
shape!! about the only thing I would change is doing the powder coating as early as I did. I got it done for free, though, and had to take advantage of it at that moment.
I've also picked up another bike, a 1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200...... oh man, that motor is sooooo sweet!!!! Looks like SpeedMotoCo will be getting some more of my hard earned cash,
because as usual... this thing wont stay stock!!!!!
hope to get the exhaust mounted tomorrow, so I can figure out some bracketry for that..... more pics to folllow.



1200cc muscle bike for ya!!!!
 
I'm really liking where you are headed with this thing (except for the tires). I like the look of the savage motors and I think your build has inspired me to design a similar bike based on some childhood inspiration. I probably won't get to build it, but I hope so.

Keep the updates coming.

Oh, and I'm up in Greenville.
 
Back
Top Bottom