upgrading brakes/new wheels

xcaptainxbloodx

Been Around the Block
I want to ditch my mags and get spokes, I would rather get a disk set up in the rear and dual disk in the front as I plan to upgrade the engine and need the stopping power.

first off, what do I need to look for in the wheels themselves? what determines a good or bad spoked rim? what do I need to look for to fit my bike (kz650)?

second, What all do I need to convert to a disk brake?

third, (and on the other end of the bike) To go to a dual front disk I need a new fork right? should I just look for something with dual disks and 36mm arms so that I can use my stock triple trees? no? what do you suggest?

any help is greatly appreciated
 
xcaptainxbloodx said:
I want to ditch my mags and get spokes, I would rather get a disk set up in the rear and dual disk in the front as I plan to upgrade the engine and need the stopping power.

first off, what do I need to look for in the wheels themselves? what determines a good or bad spoked rim? what do I need to look for to fit my bike (kz650)?

second, What all do I need to convert to a disk brake?

third, (and on the other end of the bike) To go to a dual front disk I need a new fork right? should I just look for something with dual disks and 36mm arms so that I can use my stock triple trees? no? what do you suggest?

any help is greatly appreciated

Check Z1...they carry spoke rims for KZs..dunno what the size on the 650 is but i bet they have them and can get the hubs you will need for dual front disc...probably easiest to find a dual disc fork set up and go that route. Im doing the same with a set of forks off an 80 gs750 thats dual with mags, and switching over to spoke, providing my spokes have the holes to bolt the disc to. I havent checked under the plastic hub cap...weathers been suckin here...as far as your rears you again will need a hub that is drilled for the rotor...and again Z1 should be able to supply you with this or at very least tell you where you could find em. then youll obviously need the master cylinder, brake lines and have to fab some sort of bracket to mount the caliper to. May be easier there to find something off a bike with an existing rear set up and modify (or it may bolt right up depending on what you find) to fit your bike.
 
Its really simple. Your fork is already set up for dual discs. The right fork leg has the lugs for the right side caliper. All you need is a front spoke wheel that has bolt holes on both sides(like your mag does), another rotor, another caliper(a right side, with the bleeder hole located properly), and a master cylinder that is sized properly for two calipers. A modern GSXR 14mm master works fantastic, I have two finger braking on my KZ. For the rear, you'll have to fab a mount for a rear master cylinder and pedal. As for the rear wheel, its a 17mm axle, so you have to find a disc rear wheel with that axle. I think the KZ 750's and up with disc spoke rear wheels will fit.
The hubs are all 40 hole, so you can upgrade to alloy rims whenever you want.
If you're interested, I'll sell you my whole front spoke disc brake setup(minus master and lines) for $100 plus shipping. It'll bolt right up to your bike and all you need to do is get a master and some braided lines and you'll be set for the front.
I'm only selling because I'm actually changing over to a set of 18" mags(less maintenance) with 4 piston CBR calipers. The rim has good chrome with a few tire iron marks and the spokes are all right, but if you're going to upgrade to aluminum rims(which is recommended if you want to save weight) than thats a non-issue.
Let me know if you're interested
Matt
 
Back
Top Bottom