Why bother upgrading the swing arm? How do I know what is better then factory?

Fear My Twin

Chicks hate my bike.
I see alot of bikes with upgraded boxed swing arms. Whats the benefit? What should I look for in a swing arm when I go to the junkyard? How hard is the swap?

Thanks guys!
 
Well, a box should be stiffer than a tube I would think, and possibly lighter to achieve the same rigidity (thinner walls).

I have a Radian swingarm that I was planning on using on my XS650, but I'm going back to the stock unit to make life easier in terms of the rear axle (20mm stock vs. 17mm Radian). The Radian arm also uses needle bearings which are nice, but I have bronze bushings for the stock arm which should be just fine.

The trick is to find an arm that fits properly at the pivot-end. It's easier to change wheel bearings/spacers to deal with differences at the back then it is to try and make the frame/swingarm mate.

Take a stock arm with you, or detailed measurements and a caliper to measure.
 
Re: Why bother upgrading the swing arm? How do I know what is better then factor

Watch some old film footage of how fast guys like Agostini and Hailwood were on bikes with round tubular swing arms and then ask yourself if you really need an "upgraded" unit. The answer will be obvious.
 
A lighter, stiffer swingarm will make your bike handle better. Nothing wrong with a tubular swingarm, but those on Hailwood and Ago's bikes mentioned would have been cromoly or Renolds 531. The stock swingarm on the average UJM is overweight mild steel built to a price.
 
are you racing this bike,or meeting the boys down at the donut shop!I know NOTHING about cb 500 twins,but the swap for the cb 550 four was to use a stock cb 750 welded box style(pre rear disc) and having raced one for several yrs with this mod,it handled great!
 
Back
Top Bottom