Wiring controls with clubman bars?

Fear My Twin

Chicks hate my bike.
Just wondering what you guys did to wire your controls with aftermarket bars.

Did you drill into your bars and snake the wires through?

Or

Did you drill a hole in the control housing and run the wires on the outside of the bars?

Thanks guys!
 
Depends how handy you are with a drill press and Dremel tool. For a clean install drill the holes in the bars but you need to be precise. If you're a slacker and don't care about details then drill a notch in the control housing.
 
Exactly, I wanted it to look cleaner but was scared of the sharp bend in the clubman bars where it meets the tank.

I guess Ill give it a shot when I get home.

Thanks!
 
You won't be able to route the wires through the bars completely - there isn't likely an opening between the middle U tube and the bars.

At best you can drill the bars and route the wiring out the ends of the straight sections of tubes. Doesn't really make it any neater, but saves your controls from being modfied.

Have any pics of your bars?
 
Well the forum isnt letting me post pictures but heres a picture of clubmans in general.

Im not sure It will be worth my effort drilling the two holes in the bars to hide the wires for 7inches.

Ill have to do some soul searching with the bike in front of me after work tonight I guess.

25-0109.jpg
 
You'll have to drill the bars no matter what for the posts in the controls, I say you might as well go all the way.

frontend094eo.jpg


frontend026de.jpg


The far outside hole in each leg was a mistake
 
Couldn't the wires have simply gone out the ends of each tube, where those black stoppers are instead of drilling another hole by the weld?
 
Tintin said:
Couldn't the wires have simply gone out the ends of each tube, where those black stoppers are instead of drilling another hole by the weld?

Yes, that would be the obvious solution. That's how my wires are set up.
 
Ill be trying this tonight after work.

I only have to do the left hand controls seeing as the right controls I relocated to under the seat :)

Thanks for all your help guys!
 
Tintin said:
Couldn't the wires have simply gone out the ends of each tube, where those black stoppers are instead of drilling another hole by the weld?

Yeah, but then you'd have a bunch of wires hanging out of the end of the bar, and nether the raw ends of the bar or the wires are pretty. I did mine the way I did so that I could run all the wires right under the bar so they're less obvious when you're looking down at them as you would when you're on the bike.

and anyway, that would be the easy way out... and I don't do that :-\
 
Wow, my bars are actually welded at that seam, the seem isnt crushed like the versions you guys have. Theres no end cap there to even un plug.
 
Fear My Twin said:
Wow, my bars are actually welded at that seam, the seem isnt crushed like the versions you guys have. Theres no end cap there to even un plug.

So they're not like the picture you posted? Did you get them from MikesXS? maybe that's why the price jumped.

if this:
DX-14-8390.jpg

is what you have, that's actually the more common style, I decided not to go with those because I didn't really like the pointy ends... they remind me a bit of the choppers you see with spikes on the end of everything. That being said, your bars are probably stronger than mine.
 
^Yes sir Those are the ones.

Well it only took 4 hours and I burnt out my dremel but the left controls are now internally wired. I dont know who thought it was a good idea to have 9 wires running to the controls but it was a pain in the a$$ for sure. I didnt make it any easier on myself by being commited to having the wires exit right under the ignition switch. I got carried away and went for perfection.

I also snagged a new Pro Motion throttle housing for the clubmans without the Honda kill switch and the starter button. $20. :) See picture for part #

I was surprised how much cleaner the bars look. Ill post pics later!
 
Im not sure if I need a kill switch. Theres an inspection station thats pretty lax.

I only moved it to between the gauges with another master kill switch under the seat for the potential theives.
 
Fear My Twin said:
Im not sure if I need a kill switch. Theres an inspection station thats pretty lax.

I only moved it to between the gauges with another master kill switch under the seat for the potential theives.

I'd seriously reconsider not running the kill switch. I'm not a safety nazi by any means, but shutting off your bike quickly is pretty important if you have a lockup for any reason. One of those thumb button ground switches to interrupt your coil is cheap, easy, and takes up so little room. I used a CBR kill switch, and since my bike is kick only, wired up the starter button to the horn! Now if anyone tries to start my bike, the horn will sound. Works pretty well!
192_9246.jpg
 
tobiism, what did you do for signal light switches? Oh, and what model speedo is that? I'm doing up a british style bike and am looking for some gauges. Did you make the mount yourself?
 
Tintin said:
tobiism, what did you do for signal light switches? Oh, and what model speedo is that? I'm doing up a british style bike and am looking for some gauges. Did you make the mount yourself?

Hi Tintin. Thats a Kawasaki speedo, the one that came stock on my KZ. The mount I made out of 1/8" alloy sheet. Its nice and solid, and doesn't vibrate at all. The speedo slots into the big hole in the mount and has two L-shaped clamps attached to the two studs on the back of the speedo that clamp it against the back of the mount.
I'm not going to be running any turn signals on this bike, as they're not required in AZ.
 
Back
Top Bottom