Track Bike - kz550

Got the left side finished:

Now to tackle the right side drum brake linkage. :p :)

Oh ya, found a tach at Paris! :D Pic to follow. 8)

canyoncarver said:
Those rear sets look the bomb. Nice.

Thank you Sir! I'm pretty happy with them so far. A fairly tidy installation. :D

Top Banana mate :) Are you going to run lower bars to get more advantage from the rearsets or keep the current centre of balance? Visually ace bars/clipons would look neat, however I used to have a Z650 back in the day and for me it rode better (aggressively) with very upright Z900 bars.

Well mate, I think I'll stay with the superbike bars. I find 'em really comfortable. I have similar bars and rearsets on my kz1000 which I've ridden on the track with good results. I feel they're a good compromise. They position me in a semi-aggressive position but give me lots of leverage for easy transitions. :D

Got the electric tach mounted and working! :D

The tach is apparently off a Kawasaki Zephyr. 8) Not sure which model. :)

Bonus, it has an oil and a neutral light. Sweet!! 8) We'll make good use of those. :)

Even better, I've had the Kerker repaired. :D

Check it:

Sweet work on this pipe!! :eek: Thanks Trev! Can't wait to get it on the bike and hearing it howl. 8)

I have an original Yoshi for my GS550 project that could definitely use that same treatment.

Drey6 said:
I have an original Yoshi for my GS550 project that could definitely use that same treatment.

Yep, cost me 100 bucks Canadian so that's about $2.35 U.S. ??? ;D

He tacked the head pipes together with a bar of steel, then cut the collector off the head pipes, chopped about 2 -3 inches off 2 head pipes, welded pieces back on, cleaned up the collector, welded the head pipes back on the collector and ground off the bar tacked to the head pipes. :)

Simple, but not easy. I understand the welds around the collector are a son-of-a-gun to get right. :-\ :D

As we mock up the mid pipe and can, it looks like I may need to extend the mid pipe to get the can past the rear shock. Oh well. 'In for a penny, in for a pound' as they say. ;)

Drey6 said:
Ain't that the truth....

Yep, I've now spent about double my 'budget' for the season. :eek: :D Oh well. I'm having fun anyway. ;)

Drewski said:
Yep, I've now spent about double my 'budget' for the season. :eek: :D Oh well. I'm having fun anyway. ;)

... and now I have valve seat issues. :p Looks like I need to pour a little more into the engine. ???

And on it goes. :)

Racing, like most motor sports: How do you end up with a small fortune in racing? You start with a large one.

canyoncarver said:
Racing, like most motor sports: How do you end up with a small fortune in racing? You start with a large one.

Ya, usually it's easier to just spend the $$ up front. I tried starting with a beater and I'll probably end up spending the 'whole enchilada' to make it right any way. :p

Drewski said:
Ya, usually it's easier to just spend the $$ up front. I tried starting with a beater and I'll probably end up spending the 'whole enchilada' to make it right any way. :p

Well I look forward to your next step, you've got a great start!

Drewski said:

B4 you spend on machine work this little NOS deal is no so bad if you think on it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KZ550-Z-550-ZR550-A-83-88-Cylinder-Head-11002-1121-NOS-/271253209979?hash=item3f27f3837b&vxp=mtr

I had an 86 Ninja 600 in the early 90s. I was always having to adjust the valves, they were always getting tight causing cold starting problems. Later, I had heard the heads on these motors were soft.

I got pretty quick doing valve adjustments monthly, just for reassurance.

I see you are running a GPZ motor, wonder if this is a similar issue.

BTW, nice job on the Track Bike. Everyone who rides, should visit a track day or two.

Back
Top Bottom