3DogNate's 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R Resoration

Just as another data point and of zero statistical significance, I had a couple of Triumphs with Monoblocs and concentrics and had a GP on a Goldie, and never had chokes (air slides) in them. Always tickled the carbs first. They don't run right unless you have at least one gas soaked thumb or finger. It's the way they were designed. And that was in Scotland where it gets pretty cold - not Chicago cold but cold enough...

Other people like the air slides. To me they were a waste of space and another thing to go wrong, but it's really a personal preference.

Got the primary cover final polished and installed today... a few other things not photo worthy. (Acorn nuts are in transit to me.)

Remember, the more parts you install on the engine, the HEAVIER it is, when you go to install it in the chassis!

I can still (just) manage most of a power unit into a frame by myself, but I know I have to prepare like a champion weightlifter, then head inside as soon as it's settled, and take a couple of Ibuprofen and call it a day. The least hiccup going in ususally means taking two days off afterwards.

grandpaul said:
Remember, the more parts you install on the engine, the HEAVIER it is, when you go to install it in the chassis!

I can still (just) manage most of a power unit into a frame by myself, but I know I have to prepare like a champion weightlifter, then head inside as soon as it's settled, and take a couple of Ibuprofen and call it a day. The least hiccup going in ususally means taking two days off afterwards.

Yep, the head and rocker boxes are staying off until it's mounted. There will be 3 of us to lift the motor into the chassis, so it'll be easy enough. I've carried the motor at this stage of completion the length of a driveway and into a truck bed and up onto a bench to break down. i know what I'm in for. :)

It only took myself and one friend to install my motor with the top end on, just had to remove 2 of the long head bolts to get it through. Wasn't as difficult as I expected. But then again it is a 70 model with removable front engine mount plates. ;D Has anyone every modified an earlier frame to accept the 70 mounts in front. Would be super easy to do.

o1marc said:
Tickling it doesn't enrich the mixture, only fills the float bowls more. Yes the chokes should be retained. Those who remove them are usually in warmer areas where the chokes are not needed as much. I will run them on mine.

'tickler' is higher than the jet outlets so floods intake port therefore creating a super rich mixture.

crazypj said:
'tickler' is higher than the jet outlets so floods intake port therefore creating a super rich mixture.

Not really, the tickler is just a push rod that pushes down on the float in the bowl lifting the needle off it's seat to allow more fuel into the bowl. All the jets and their outlets are above the float bowl in the carb body itself.

Nate, can you give me a measurement of how much inner cable is exposed when everything is hooked up to the throttle. I have only 1-3/8" exposed and it's not enough to install on the slides. I need to know how much to cut the sheathing before I start cutting, measure twice, cut once. ;)

o1marc said:
Not really, the tickler is just a push rod that pushes down on the float in the bowl lifting the needle off it's seat to allow more fuel into the bowl. All the jets and their outlets are above the float bowl in the carb body itself.

Nate, can you give me a measurement of how much inner cable is exposed when everything is hooked up to the throttle. I have only 1-3/8" exposed and it's not enough to install on the slides. I need to know how much to cut the sheathing before I start cutting, measure twice, cut once. ;)

Not anytime soon I'll not be routing cables for a while... I can give you the free length of my new cables I bought if that helps (U.K. Made).

3DogNate said:
Not anytime soon I'll not be routing cables for a while... I can give you the free length of my new cables I bought if that helps (U.K. Made).

No need, I've already shortened the sheath and came up a bit too much, so now I need to shorten the inner cable a tad. Thanks

So tonight we got the bottom end of the motor installed in the frame. And I did a quick test of the tank to get a glimpse of what she's gonna look like. I got a few more things done like the front brake linkage, mounted the gauges, a few small parts powder coated. next thing will be the top end... then the wiring and plumbing.

3CF9B1E4-A55E-4B64-BC63-F84BCEEB1674_zps5yojdfnv.jpg

Rocker box assembly happened this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More parts on order... I wasn't happy with all the nicks in my push rods, so new ones on the way. Along with replacements for more missing bolts and nuts.

Just take my money....
UNF, CEI, Whitworth all on the same bike... fasteners are killing me. If I ever do another restoration on a British bike I'll budget fasteners accordingly... shit.

Need to re-plate my intake manifolds. Get the top end assembled... then have a plumbing and wiring party.

And it seems that every nut and bolt you have to buy are specific and can't be replaced with a UNF. I'm missing one of the nuts that hold the exhaust pipe bracket on the engine stud. I'd be willing to bet I could replace the stud, washers, and 4 nuts with a UNF stud for what it's going to cost for the one Triumph nut. These things don't nickel and dime you to death, it's $10's and $100's. I'm in the middle of my wiring party right now, it won't be assort party.

o1marc said:
And it seems that every nut and bolt you have to buy are specific and can't be replaced with a UNF. I'm missing one of the nuts that hold the exhaust pipe bracket on the engine stud. I'd be willing to bet I could replace the stud, washers, and 4 nuts with a UNF stud for what it's going to cost for the one Triumph nut. These things don't nickel and dime you to death, it's $10's and $100's. I'm in the middle of my wiring party right now, it won't be assort party.

If I were doing a bobber or café or just decent looking daily driver where I didn't care about originality.... I'd just be hitting Farm & Fleet for Imperial standard bolts and nuts for every through hole fastener and save a shit-ton of cash. At least I can hit F&F for split and flat washers....

Good thing these are BEAUTIFUL bikes when restored... I gotta buy exhaust next... ugh.

3DogNate said:
If I were doing a bobber or café or just decent looking daily driver where I didn't care about originality.... I'd just be hitting Farm & Fleet for Imperial standard bolts and nuts for every through hole fastener and save a shit-ton of cash. At least I can hit F&F for split and flat washers....

Good thing these are BEAUTIFUL bikes when restored... I gotta buy exhaust next... ugh.
I used the non balance tubed pipes from Emgo for $90, lucked out and a friend gave me a new set of the Emgo bullet mufflers. Plan on spending at least $300USD , it's a chunk of change for just the pipes and mufflers. And then another $50+ for the correct hardware.

o1marc said:
I used the non balance tubed pipes from Emgo for $90, lucked out and a friend gave me a new set of the Emgo bullet mufflers. Plan on spending at least $300USD , it's a chunk of change for just the pipes and mufflers. And then another $50+ for the correct hardware.

I did the deed and ordered my exhaust components... It's more in the $500 range to do it right with UK made parts where practical. new everything.... nothing I had from the donor was usable. had to get new brackets... clamps.. headers... mufflers... F***ing bolts... Balance pipe... Of course if it were not a restoration I could have gotten by cheaper... thankfully my bike being very late '69 I didn't have the "rape me expensive" balance pipe clamps.

Lets see if I can re-plate my intake manifolds and make up some of that in savings.

That bike is looking so beautiful. Can't wait to see it all done and havin' fun!

grandpaul said:
That bike is looking so beautiful. Can't wait to see it all done and havin' fun!

Me too... too bad riding season is pretty well coming to an end here in Central Illinois... 'bout to be super cold for a few months. This is already the longest I've seen our riding season last in the 18 years I've lived here. I'll be ready to hit some Triumph events come spring though.

Top end of the motor is getting installed on Thursday... I should have my missing parts for the brake linkage and chain guard so that I can get motor completely mounted.

Back
Top Bottom