advice or info

bane987

i wasn't sure where to post this. so if anyone knows the help is appreciated. question is. i have a decision to make. i want to pursue a career in motorcycles, i realize it may not make me a rich man. but i know it would make me a happy one. i am trying to figure out if going to school is the best choice, or just trying to find a job working with motorcycles. i am in the los angles area and dont really trust schools. they all say the same crap. so i would really love some info or advice from anyone who can offer. or where to post this to get the best feed back.

Spend $40k at the MMI in Phoenix, come out green, work for $12 an hour at a shop, and die floundering.

Or just do it.

**modified this, in a snarky mood last night. But the above still stands. I do know a couple guys who've come out of MMI and thrived, but they knew what they were doing before they went in. I also know guys who didn't know what they were doing, come out of MMI, and have sunk like rocks. The point I wanted to make was before you do try to dedicate your life to it, try it out for a while (if you haven't already). Get a bike, wrench on it, ride it, repeat. Programs like MMI really only teach modern bikes, and most of the folks here are into older stuff.

Other advice listed seems solid too.

Any of the major manufacturers will have positions in every imaginable discipline. You can work for Royal Enfield and never touch a wrench. You can work at Barber Motorsports Park, sweep up at a Honda Dealership, sell Harleys.

What is your skill set and what do you love to do? Then find a job that fits somewhere in the industry.

If you want to be a mechanic then get really good at it and go work at a dealership. Get trained and certified on their dime.

Don't just "work on motorcycles for a living". Specialize in something.

Those that say it can't be done, really mean to say that they can't do it.

Aim higher than suggested so far. Think race teams. Even race teams need scrubs. Go to the track.

Are you going to be a dealer, a tire-installer, or eventually a lead mechanic?

I hope you have what it takes. You really need a maaaaaaaad passion for it.

If you want to be a mechanic, you'll have to find you're way into a competitive bunch and build relationships.

You will be stressed, break down, throw tools and cry. So unless you love it more than any sane "normal person" you might end up divorcing the moto life.

Give up on women too. They'd never go for a guy that works on motorcycles all day. Ask me how I know.

Before you make any commitments, buy a bike for $300. Anything, really, as long as it is mechanically complete. You need a motor that ain't locked up, includes the carb and rolling chassis, as well as a mostly un-ratted wiring harness. Having a key can help, but learning how to jimmy an ignition can help too. I say complete because it's the stupid shyeet that is impossible to find. I own a 1977 Lincoln Mark V and all it was missing was the flex-hose that connects the carb snorkel to the intake funnel just behind the grill, for a fresh-air intake. Yeah, check for yourself, they're gone. Non-existent. I had to burn the old felt off of the steel inner structure and wrap it with aluminum tape. Same goes for a lot of bikes, like finding a primary chain for a CB77 Superhawk or an idle mixture screw for an '88 KDX200.

Get it running. Then get it running well. Then paint it and add new tires and chain. Then learn how to rebuild brakes, both discs and drum. Plan to spend all of your disposable income, then plan to spend money you don't even have. Wear some sort of hat, whatever suits you. It ensures that when you want to throw the nearest object at the bike, it will at least be soft and convenient. I wear a crushable felt hat so I can really rap on shit and come out unscathed.

Each process you tackle on your $300 scrap heap will be a large part of any learning curve, so take it one step at a time and ENJOY each one thoroughly. Ask lots of questions. Ask so many questions that people just stop talking to you, so you're left to figure it out. In the end, you'll either have one hot little mud slinger to be proud of or you'll have a great post for the Craigslist "gem" of the week thread. It all depends on if you really love bikes as much as you need to to hang in there.

I've run my own shop for the past 4-years and living off of instant pancake mix and Ramen so that I can afford an impact wrench here and a valve-compressor there has long lost its whimsy. Soon, though, I should be considering water and a stove.

Somehow I keep doing this crap every morning, but the sort of conversation I have with the local ferals seems to make things evergreen and the sun has stopped screaming about mankind's innately vulgar egalitarianism.

Feel free to PM me when you start your restoration thread.

Redliner said:
Are you going to be a dealer, a tire-installer, or eventually a lead mechanic?

I hope you have what it takes. You really need a maaaaaaaad passion for it.

If you want to be a mechanic, you'll have to find you're way into a competitive bunch and build relationships.

You will be stressed, break down, throw tools and cry. So unless you love it more than any sane "normal person" you might end up divorcing the moto life.

Give up on women too. They'd never go for a guy that works on motorcycles all day. Ask me how I know.

Before you make any commitments, buy a bike for $300. Anything, really, as long as it is mechanically complete. You need a motor that ain't locked up, includes the carb and rolling chassis, as well as a mostly un-ratted wiring harness. Having a key can help, but learning how to jimmy an ignition can help too. I say complete because it's the stupid shyeet that is impossible to find. I own a 1977 Lincoln Mark V and all it was missing was the flex-hose that connects the carb snorkel to the intake funnel just behind the grill, for a fresh-air intake. Yeah, check for yourself, they're gone. Non-existent. I had to burn the old felt off of the steel inner structure and wrap it with aluminum tape. Same goes for a lot of bikes, like finding a primary chain for a CB77 Superhawk or an idle mixture screw for an '88 KDX200.

Get it running. Then get it running well. Then paint it and add new tires and chain. Then learn how to rebuild brakes, both discs and drum. Plan to spend all of your disposable income, then plan to spend money you don't even have. Wear some sort of hat, whatever suits you. It ensures that when you want to throw the nearest object at the bike, it will at least be soft and convenient. I wear a crushable felt hat so I can really rap on shit and come out unscathed.

Each process you tackle on your $300 scrap heap will be a large part of any learning curve, so take it one step at a time and ENJOY each one thoroughly. Ask lots of questions. Ask so many questions that people just stop talking to you, so you're left to figure it out. In the end, you'll either have one hot little mud slinger to be proud of or you'll have a great post for the Craigslist "gem" of the week thread. It all depends on if you really love bikes as much as you need to to hang in there.

I've run my own shop for the past 4-years and living off of instant pancake mix and Ramen so that I can afford an impact wrench here and a valve-compressor there has long lost its whimsy. Soon, though, I should be considering water and a stove.

Somehow I keep doing this crap every morning, but the sort of conversation I have with the local ferals seems to make things evergreen and the sun has stopped screaming about mankind's innately vulgar egalitarianism.

Feel free to PM me when you start your restoration thread.
Whatever you do dont listen to this guy. He is obviously bad at business or mechanics or both.
Just another "I cant make it work, so neither can you".

Throwing tools is for children. Expressing anger towards inanimate objects is counter productive. It did nothing wrong, you are the dumbass that cant fix it.

Go to the race track. Thats where this business gets serious. Not in a half assed podunk momnpop shop.

Running your own business isn't a bed of roses. I may be successful at what I do but it did NOT come cheap, quickly, or easily.

Redliner said:
Running your own business isn't a bed of roses. I may be successful at what I do but it did NOT come cheap, quickly, or easily.
Aww, poor guy.

I came from a family that has nothing. I started my own business at 18. Its as easy as listening to the successful people and blocking out the not so successful people.

Heh, better get some guidance for all that anger before somebody guides something upside that big head, kiddo.

Anger? Which statement did you percieve as anger?

I do believe insinuated threats of physical violence are prohibited in this forum.

As a side note, i did 200 pushups as a warm up this morning.

DohcBikes said:
I do believe insinuated threats of physical violence are prohibited in this forum.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443711773.275555.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443711773.275555.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 536
Listening to successful people is the best advice anyone can give. We don't live in a vacuum, and the whole point of learning History is to learn how to be successful. Some geniuses can do it on their own without ever leaving their house, but those are about 1 in 12 billion. The best thing you will get from going to school is some experience, but more than that it's the network. Choose a bad school and you get a bad network. No good. The track will clearly put you in touch with a good network of people that spend a lot of money and resources to be successful. Those are the guys that do it well, efficiently, and with the best resources.

deviant said:
Listening to successful people is the best advice anyone can give. We don't live in a vacuum, and the whole point of learning History is to learn how to be successful. Some geniuses can do it on their own without ever leaving their house, but those are about 1 in 12 billion. The best thing you will get from going to school is some experience, but more than that it's the network. Choose a bad school and you get a bad network. No good. The track will clearly put you in touch with a good network of people that spend a lot of money and resources to be successful. Those are the guys that do it well, efficiently, and with the best resources.
I was able to shake the hand of many pro riders and race team members while attending MMI. Talking with Jeremy Mcgrath changed my life.

Sonreir said:
Get two jobs. One to feed your body and one to feed your soul.
Another person that thinks it can't be done because they can't make it work. This is very frustrating.

Do you guys think NHRA pro stock techs have 2 jobs? Do you think they eat ramen and pancake mix?

Do you have ANY idea how many race circuits there are? ANY idea at all?

Dealership and repair shop techs are the LOWEST paid and LEAST appreciated techs out there. That is because they are essentially still just hobbyists. Don't be that guy. Get serious about it or forget it. Race teams are where it's at.

Then if you're lucky, amazingly talented, and painfully attractive you may get a chance to privately build engines or suspensions or otherwise for teams that are willing to pay large sums of money for small amounts of work because they know they will win if they take it to you.

Or so I've heard.

I never said it can't be done, but I doubt it's a path that works for everyone.

If I understand your advice correctly, you're advocating just going for it and making it your full time job. That's not something everyone can or should do. Besides, there's only so much room for top tier race support. Some people have to serve the masses, too, and you're not going to get rich doing that.

Spark Moto is not my full time gig and I'm OK with that.

DohcBikes said:
Do you guys think NHRA pro stock techs have 2 jobs? Do you think they eat ramen and pancake mix?

Do you think anybody does?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443717921.687627.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443717921.687627.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 580
It goes for every industry, not just motorcycles. Top level success comes from significant talent, an endowed network, full immersion in the field, and obsessive dedication. If it's a part time commitment, it will be part time income. You have to outwork and outdo the competition. It's common sense. There is nothing wrong with being on interested in doing something part time, but I doubt that's the advice the OP is looking for or needs.

Sonreir said:
I never said it can't be done, but I doubt it's a path that works for everyone.

If I understand your advice correctly, you're advocating just going for it and making it your full time job. That's not something everyone can or should do. Besides, there's only so much room for top tier race support. Some people have to serve the masses, too, and you're not going to get rich doing that.

Spark Moto is not my full time gig and I'm OK with that.
I am advocating rising above the masses.

I am advocating taking advice from those that make it happen as opposed to those that don't.

I never said once that it was something everyone should or could do. I am very well aware of that.

deviant said:
If it's a part time commitment, it will be part time income. You have to outwork and outdo the competition.
You GOD DAMN RIGHT brotha.

Get You Some Of That.

It is not necessary to be working for or even with "Top Tier"(?) race teams. For example, one could simply gain a reputation with racers through building engines for a local MX Champion. There are lots of rich kids in motocross. Or, a guy could gain a reputation with racers by building engines for a local drag race champion. Or, a guy could gain a reputation by taking his own bike to the race track and winning. So I've heard.

And that's the very bottom level of racing!!! There are SO MANY opportunities for the man wearing the right spectacles for his eyes.

Back
Top Bottom