Project Shinjimei- 73 TX500

Everything fit ok and cams are where they should be ? Glad to have helped sir and I like the black and gold !

The mounts for the air scoop are a little further apart, and the studs by the cam tunnel are a little long, so they need some different nuts to cinch down, but everything else worked fantastic. Well... Except I bungled and put the intake cam advanced one tooth, but that's my mistake, and easily enough fixed. Yeah, the stock black and gold is growing on me.... We'll see. Anyone out there can Photoshop one of my old pics to see what the heavy-flake green would look like?

Oh, and I found out the tires I ordered (Kenda Retroactives) are on back order. No date available. So I'll most likely do the return and pick up some Heidenaus.

two-smoker said:
The mounts for the air scoop are a little further apart, and the studs by the cam tunnel are a little long, so they need some different nuts to cinch down, but everything else worked fantastic

I have an extra XS500 air scoop for you- looks like this:

When I was starting on mine I ordered wrong year scoop and got the bigger one . So I bent the tabs in and drilled hole thru the side to get at the Allens turned out great !

Damn, can't believe I didn't know there was a difference. What you want for that scoop, Dean?

two-smoker said:
Damn, can't believe I didn't know there was a difference. What you want for that scoop, Dean?
Yea, the later heads have the larger air scoop. How about the cost of shipping , plus any donation you would like to make to my rusty RD rescue project? http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=17070.0

I'm nearly finished with it, just out of $$ :( , send me a pm

IMAG0111-1.jpg

Not a whole lot I can do until my wheels get back, but I thought I'd see what the exhaust would look like, with a little imagination. I think it's gonna be awesome!

IMAG0121-1.jpg

So I picked up a little present from my brother's work today....
IMAG0122-1.jpg

...and it went a little something like this.... 8)
It's on the ground again!

Thank you, Scott, I am rather pleased myself! I do kinda hope that with the weight of the motor she squats a little, though.... Otherwise I'll have to re-do the sidestand again- she leans waaaaaay over....

So, with some help from a member of the TX/XS500 forum, I discovered what I was doing wrong regarding the cam chain. Updates to follow.

IMAG0123-1.jpg

Here it is! The offending link, now installed and riveted. Can't believe I didn't know that the tensioner can't be locked in place until the lock nut is backed waaayyy off.... Oh well. Problem solved!

Well, getting on.... I'm getting started trimming up the harness for just the stuff I need, and I looked into how fuck going to wire up the Danmoto gauge, and I have questions. First, my neutral and oil pressure switches are ground-connect. Will that work? Next, how do I program the tach for number of cylinders? It's not in the instructions...

Just to make sure we are looking at the same instructions and diagrams.. is this the model you have ?

danmoto model # SP-00002 ? it looks like the pic earlier in your thread....

http://www.danmoto.com/Ebay/Items/SP-00002/SP2.pdf

It looks like the diagram in the link is all you can get from them? ( mr google could not find anything more, even in Chinese ) Based on this, here is what I think:

The oil pressure and neutral senders to ground are MC industry standards so we should think that you just connect them to your harness and go.

Now for the tachometer ... the schematic shows a single gray wire. If you already had an electronic tach, this would just plug right in , however you don't. Because it looks like it is a direct plug in, it is highly unlikely that it is for an induction pick up of any kind and that's why there is not a option in the button menus to enter the number of cylinders. Because you have individual coils and no spark loss setup ( like a Honda four with 2 coils etc ) , I would think that you just connect the gray wire to the + lead on one coil ( just make it L, #1 cyl to make it simple )

Are you running points or newtronics ?, (not sure it matters, yet just in case it would be good to know)

Thanks for the info! I was figuring on that with the tach, just wanted another opinion. Had no idea that ground contact was the standard, though, and that's very helpful, as well. Tried the link, and that looks like what came with the unit. Mine is the Acewell knock-off. Little round guy with two buttons. The instructions show how to set the speedometer for tire diameter, but nothing about the tach. I know on a car, it matters how many cylinders you have, but I suppose with individual coils it should work. Oh, and I'm running newtronic ignition. Now that I think about it, there may be a tach output.... Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom