Shake the Box CL360/378 - The Hedgehog - Done

Re: Shake the Box CL360

Ok. Here's where I'm at right now. My resin and hardener were a little on the stiff side so I made my own "convection oven" to heat them up a bit. Worked great.

This is what I've got at the moment. About five layers of cloth and resin. Admittedly, my cloth is a little thin for this use. It's what I had on hand and thought I'd see how it goes. Tomorrow if it's not as stiff as I'd like it to be I'll pick up some heaver cloth and add a couple layers.

So far things have gone well. No big messes, no major problems. I can see there's sort of a "feel" for doing this. By the time I was putting down the last layer I was starting to get the hang of it. It ain't real smooth, but it's an upholstery pan so I wasn't really trying to make it perfect; as long as it's strong it'll do the trick. Looking forward to popping it off and then getting it trimmed to shape. Then I'll have to find somebody who can sew a cover. I'd love to do real leather but I suppose something waterproof is more practical. We'll see.

Personally I've always found real leather seat covers to be way more trouble than they are worth. Maybe OK on a 'show only' bike but in the real world they take too much 'looking after'

crazypj said:
Personally I've always found real leather seat covers to be way more trouble than they are worth. Maybe OK on a 'show only' bike but in the real world they take too much 'looking after'

Yeah, I have to agree w/ ya. I like the idea of it, but the reality probably ain't so good. I have a buddy who's a cobbler and he keeps insisting he can do something that would work; it would probably end up w/ a Red Wing tag on it, though. :-\ Or worse, look like a cowboy boot.

So, my buddy the cobbler sent me to a seamstress who sent me to a guy who does upholstery who, as it turns out, I've worked with before. Several years ago he sewed a new heavy vinyl window into the existing back window for the soft top of the old Geo Tracker I use to have. (A guy down the street owns it now so I see it every day and that sewing job still looks and works great.) I took my completed upholstery pan out to him... will see what he comes up with.

Awesome, seat pan looks great buddy

hurco550 said:
Awesome, seat pan looks great buddy

Thank you my friend. It's up at the upholsterer at the moment. He told me it was going to be a little bit, but I hope it doesn't take him too long!

Anyway...

I've got a question for the assembled masses here. If the few who visit this build don't have any comments I may post in the Electrical section to see if I get any bites there. I had an idea and hunted out the little tool box that came on the bike. I used it as a trial piece when I first got my sand blast cabinet with dirty old sand, and it's been in a zip lock bag ever since. For those unfamiliar, it looks like this:

I'm wondering if a battery of sufficient amperage is available (kick only) that would fit in there so it could be used as my battery box? I haven't started my own research yet, but thought I'd start it by asking here first. There might even be enough room left so I could also mount the key switch in one end or the other as well. Ideas? Comments? There are a few different places where it could be mounted, like here:

More likely here but turned differently to better match the shape of the opening:

That looks pretty small. Battery might be possible, but you'd be cutting it closer than I would care to do.

For reference, the smallest battery we carry is 4.5" x 2.6" x 3.7" and would still need a bit of clearance to fit the cables and keep it from contacting anything.

Sonreir said:
That looks pretty small. Battery might be possible, but you'd be cutting it closer than I would care to do.

For reference, the smallest battery we carry is 4.5" x 2.6" x 3.7" and would still need a bit of clearance to fit the cables and keep it from contacting anything.

Thanx Matt. There's no way I'd try it if I couldn't be assured of complete isolation, for sure. Even without a starter I'll still need 8 or 10ah, right? I'll at least do a little looking around anyway. I've still got to come up with an electronics tray below the seat, perhaps I can incorporate the tool box into the bottom of that w/ the top cut out of it so there's room for a battery to sit down in. That might not accomplish EXACTLY what I had in mind, but could still give the look I'm after. I'm not stuck on the "empty triangle" look behind the engine and the high CL pipes will pretty much cover up one side of it anyway. With the shock and spring in the bottom of the triangle and the air cleaners in the front, it seems to me like it would balance things out to have something else of interest in the other corner. (Of course if I am able to get a big thumper into that frame I'll need to put an oil thank there.)

I use a 5ah security system battery on my kick only 360. Haven't had any issues thus far and it starts up first kick just about every time. I have my headlight wired up so that I can disable it when I kickstart, but it's probably not even necessary since I've forgotten to turn it off a few times.

There was a thread in the last week or two on here and OP soldered together some single cell batteries to get his amperage needs. I can't find it at the moment, but that may be an option for you to fit in the toolbox.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

adventurco said:
I use a 5ah security system battery on my kick only 360. Haven't had any issues thus far and it starts up first kick just about every time. I have my headlight wired up so that I can disable it when I kickstart, but it's probably not even necessary since I've forgotten to turn it off a few times.

There was a thread in the last week or two on here and OP soldered together some single cell batteries to get his amperage needs. I can't find it at the moment, but that may be an option for you to fit in the toolbox.

I'm surprised that 5ah does it for you. That's great news. What I'd like to find is something about the size of two of these end-to-end. Seems like there must be some kind of emergency light battery or something similar out there that would fit the bill. I think what I may do is hack up a hunk of wood to about the right size and shape and then take it along on my search.

Bodine (philips) fluorescent ballast has a 12V battery backup that charges off AC

images

Tune-A-Fish said:
Bodine (philips) fluorescent ballast has a 12V battery backup that charges off AC

images

Nice size. I didn't download their full spec sheet so I'm not sure about the ah or if it's even given.

Tune-A-Fish said:
What about tool batteries like the M12 series

Looks like I'd have to connect at least 4 to get enough ah.

The primary concern with using a battery that is too low in the Ah rating is that your bike will die if you idle too long. Generally, this concern is with traffic. If you can guarantee that you will never be stuck in traffic and won't be idling the engine for any extended period of time, you can go quite low in the Ah rating. Even two or three Ah will suffice. It just depends on how close to the edge you like to live. ;D

Sonreir said:
It just depends on how close to the edge you like to live. ;D

Cory is a rebel without a cause. He lives on the edge everyday. ;) but in all seriousness, I would say that in our area, chances of sitting in traffic often are pretty slim. Flat, straight wide open road out here

hurco550 said:
Cory is a rebel without a cause. He lives on the edge everyday. ;) but in all seriousness, I would say that in our area, chances of sitting in traffic often are pretty slim. Flat, straight wide open road out here

My good friend must have some kind of autocorrect working on his computer. I believe he meant, "Rebel without a clue". ;) He is right that I live on the edge, though; the edge of town, the edge of old age, the edge of hypertension, the edge of reason, the edge of sanity, the edge of poverty, the edge of baldness, the edge of caffeine withdrawal, the edge of the universe. ;D ::)

adventurco said:
I'd recommend laying up all your cloth at once, It will save you from sanding in between layers which is a huge pain in the arse but very necessary for proper adhesion. I usually lay up anything 4 layers and under all at once and never end up with any air pockets (with no vacuum bag or anything).

The only thing you need to make sure of if you do it this way is that your epoxy has a long enough working time so you can properly wet it out. I like to pour it on right out of the mixing can, let it soak in a bit and then squeegee off the excess. You can wet out a small piece of 3-4 layers to get a feel for the amount of epoxy you need. Just my .02, but it'll save ya some time if you do all your layers in one shot

First time I tried laying up fibreglass in Florida was a total disaster.
I completely forgot to take into account the extra 25~30 degrees temperature increase compared to working in Britain. ::)
30 mins working time turned out to be about 4 mins and a LOT of heat in resin ;D

ridesolo said:
My good friend must have some kind of autocorrect working on his computer. I believe he meant, "Rebel without a clue". ;) He is right that I live on the edge, though; the edge of town, the edge of old age, the edge of hypertension, the edge of reason, the edge of sanity, the edge of poverty, the edge of baldness, the edge of caffeine withdrawal, the edge of the universe. ;D ::)

LOL, ;D ;D 8)

ridesolo said:
Nice size. It's NiCad, though, not sure that would work well w/ the Honda charging system, would it? (Or is it Lithium that I'm thinking of?) I didn't download their full spec sheet so I'm not sure about the ah or if it's even given.

I've been giving this problem a lot of though.
Pretty sure the 'solution' would be some extra circuitry and a warning light to tell you to rev engine over 3,000 to get charge rate up.
Guess Matt is going to have to come up with something full of Zener diodes and capacitors ;D
I still haven’t used the 'super caps' bank I made a few years ago,
It's light enough and small enough to fit in with a Lipo battery though so maybe I'll try it sometime?
You could probably use a 3A/hr battery if you had idle set to 2200rom although it would need really frequent check to make sure it wasn't overheating (or even more added circuits to monitor things. )
I think I may just stay with the 7~8A/hr batteries, so much simpler :-*

crazypj said:
I've been giving this problem a lot of though. Pretty sure the 'solution' would be some extra circuitry and a warning light to tell you to rev engine over 3,000 to get charge rate up. Guess Matt is going to have to come up with something full of Zener diodes and capacitors ;D
I still haven’t used the 'super caps' bank I made a few years ago, It's light enough and small enough to fit in with a Lipo battery though so maybe I'll try it sometime? You could probably use a 3A/hr battery if you had idle set to 2200rom although it would need really frequent check to make sure it wasn't overheating (or even more added circuits to monitor things. )
I think I may just stay with the 7~8A/hr batteries, so much simpler :-*

I hear ya on that. I'm going to stay in the 6 to 8 ah range. I think if I try to go any lower it'll just be an exercise in frustration. So, my task is very simple; find the highest a/hr battery available in the smallest package for the lowest price. Simple, yeah right.

Back
Top Bottom