Krazy Katana

DohcBikes said:
wtf bike are we talking about and where is the thread
I bought a 72 DT2 to get around on until I have a bit more $ to either rebuild the 600 motor or find a parts bike in good shape. Haven't made a thread about it, cuz there wouldn't be much to say at this point. Figured I'd ask here instead of starting a different thread that wasn't gonna go anywhere.
Should a local Moto shop have 2-stroke trans oil?

Yes, if they don't have yamalube trans-lube you can use the honda HPTRANS or even the bellray gearsaver for 2 stroke transmissions. The Trans-lube is a lighter viscosity and works better on those older bikes for the first few changes.

Yamalube is a brand name. Yamaha used and specified 2 stroke trans oil for the gearbox. And, who gives a shit. pictures can be used for reference, if I am not mistaken.

Would you like an autograph?

http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/5437539207.html
Been talking to this guy. He asked what I was thinking as far as price. What's a reasonable offer? I was gonna say $300 seems fair if it's in good shape, but not sure if that's optimistic. I'd sell off the suspension and stuff to help pay for it.

It "runs." He said it will run, needs ignition and re-wiring but it turns over.
He might also take the KX250 motor I have as a part trade, so that would really help with the cost

I feel like if it turns over that'll work for me. I have all the electrical stuff to make it work, and still have some stuff from my engine I could use if there are issues with his. Basically I need a crank, rods, and Pistons. Maybe trans. Everything else I have is good to be re-used

Caveat emptor....

How does this motor "turn over" ?? Has he hooked a battery up to it and is cranking it? If so, you could take a compression gauge and check that out, but it's still a lucky dip.....

hillsy said:
Caveat emptor....

How does this motor "turn over" ?? Has he hooked a battery up to it and is cranking it? If so, you could take a compression gauge and check that out, but it's still a lucky dip.....
That is what I assumed. He could just be turning the end of the crank with a wrench for all I know. I'm not attached to this motor or anything, it just came up and thought it might be worth checking out.

Not much to report on any of the bikes. Time and money are both tight right now, so they're all on the back burner. The clutch plates on the DT2 have some pitting so I think I need to get a new set. I also noticed some grooves from the friction plate tabs on the clutch basket outer, not sure if that's a problem.
Again, this will probably happen in April once I've finished finals and am back from spring break.

CALfeRacer said:
I also noticed some grooves from the friction plate tabs on the clutch basket outer, not sure if that's a problem.

Happens all the time - just file them down.

hillsy said:
Happens all the time - just file them down.
I didn't want to take too much material off them. I guess I could file them and see what thickness they end up at. Some of the pits are pretty bad, already tried hitting it with some sandpaper and steel wool

You want to get rid of the grooves as they can hold the plates and create drag, etc.

If they are worn down real bad you may just have to replace the basket but filing down the grooves is a no cost DIY option to start with.

Back
Top Bottom