82' KZ440 Cafe' Brat Build: Carb tuning & exhaust fly by!

Re: 82' KZ440 Build

some type of seat like this would be most simple and look good plus suits your tank

or I am starting to look at different variations of the third pic

monk05_01.jpg

monkee22_01.jpg

zephyr_20.jpg

I agree, that is the style I have in mind. I would actually like to keep the step frame like I stated before. Everyone just hacks it off, I'll do something a little different. I like the large open area between the frame and tire.

Rode the little guy to work today.

I can only imagine what a new slim seat would do for looks on this thing.

7024529617_24441c4c12_b.jpg

Had an idea on exhaust. I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy. I'll work with what ever supplies/items I got. So.....

I took one of the stock mufflers. Cut it down to 12" so now it's a megaphone style tip pretty much. I will make a 2-1 collector, weld it up.

Using the original tab for the muffler to mount. Should work pretty good IMO

mock up

7039168967_e1891f6d68_c.jpg

7039168819_1b95458ab1_c.jpg

7039168659_e4afb88226_c.jpg

Re: 82' KZ440 Build: Together & Running: Exhaust build pg 6

Thinking of running them on both sides. Should look pretty killer with 2 pipes from the rear.

Plus it will be much easier than making a 2-1 collector.

M.B Co said:
Thinking of running them on both sides. Should look pretty killer with 2 pipes from the rear.

Plus it will be much easier than making a 2-1 collector.

I thought about doing 2-1 on mine but I have this thing about symmetry and like the look of 2-2 much better

Shermanator86 said:
I thought about doing 2-1 on mine but I have this thing about symmetry and like the look of 2-2 much better

Same here. But I also like the open look on one side.

Not much has changed. Tacked on the tips, cleaned them up a little. Not sure which direction I want to go.

I do know that it runs great with the new jets.

Still need to:

Finish my battery box
Finish Exhaust
Seat
Clip on's, cables, lines, brake resi

7172086724_980f0d6841_c.jpg

7172086434_25244375c0_c.jpg

7248751306_25bccff96c_c.jpg

Not much progress. Slowly trying to diag my electrical issue.

Pipes painted, was tacked on, removed. Waiting on my 2-1 Collector from Megs/Cone Engineering. Get that welded up then I can really diag and tune in everything. Then it's time to ride until winter. Then the other stage of the build comes into play.

7296192892_e3cf4fcf61_z.jpg

7296192968_2fa1477271_z.jpg

7296192426_93e4bb3e99_z.jpg

Been watching your thread; I'm building a 440ltd cafe racer style bike myself! I noticed you haven't posted anything in a while; how's your build going?

Have you seen this seat? You were mentioning that you wanted a slimmer seat, and this might work.

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/1981-1982-Kawasaki-KZ1000-LTD-KZ1000LTD-cafe-seat?sc=132&category=1503379

shooter janes said:
Been watching your thread; I'm building a 440ltd cafe racer style bike myself! I noticed you haven't posted anything in a while; how's your build going?

Have you seen this seat? You were mentioning that you wanted a slimmer seat, and this might work.

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/1981-1982-Kawasaki-KZ1000-LTD-KZ1000LTD-cafe-seat?sc=132&category=1503379

Thanks, link to your build? Working on it here and there. Guess I have not made the time to finish it. I really need to re-do my whole electrical system. Should have done it months ago but got it together to get it running. Work+travel, house projects and honey-do's limit my time to work on the bike.

Sad, after all this I've rode it for 1 week. 5 or 7 days this whole year. Maybe a few times down the road then it broke down each time.

I have not seen that seat. Looks like a good option, but had my mind on something smaller.

This is a good example of what I would want:
motorcycle_monkee_46_1_1_1.jpg

Love the direction of the bike. Have a 440 myself. Any insight on what you changed the jet to with the pods and open exhaust?
Thank you,
Steve

I'll have to look. Honestly do not remember. I bought several sizes and stuck what ever idles and ran the best.

Got her apart a little, waiting on parts.

7872197442_287e7275fb_z.jpg

M.B Co said:
Thanks, link to your build? Working on it here and there. Guess I have not made the time to finish it. I really need to re-do my whole electrical system. Should have done it months ago but got it together to get it running. Work+travel, house projects and honey-do's limit my time to work on the bike.

Sad, after all this I've rode it for 1 week. 5 or 7 days this whole year. Maybe a few times down the road then it broke down each time.

I have not seen that seat. Looks like a good option, but had my mind on something smaller.

that's a good goal to shoot for, that thing's gorgeous. your builds lookin good as well, keep up the good work! +1 on the jet sizes.

I thew in the following:

93 Secondary
68 Main

wow I really like those tires dude. I wonder if they would fit if you kept the stock fenders on?

AnxiousCowboy said:
wow I really like those tires dude. I wonder if they would fit if you kept the stock fenders on?

It's close, but they fit. You can't see it but there is a fork brace there. Used the brace from the OE fender.

Shinko 712
Rear 130/90-16
Front 110/90-19

Hey man. Cool build. I have a question about your exhaust. I always wondered if you could chop stock mufflers in half like that but didn't know what the result would be.

So Do all of the insides of the muffler stay intact? Or does it all come out pretty much making it a open pipe with a muffler tip? Wondering how the sound level changes, and if it requires new jets.

treitz said:
Hey man. Cool build. I have a question about your exhaust. I always wondered if you could chop stock mufflers in half like that but didn't know what the result would be.

So Do all of the insides of the muffler stay intact? Or does it all come out pretty much making it a open pipe with a muffler tip? Wondering how the sound level changes, and if it requires new jets.

Yes you can. I did it for fun to see what would happen or how it would end up. I know I wanted a 12" Muffler of some sort, well I had the stock mufflers. measured 12" from the end and cut it pretty much in half. Luckily the other end was the complete baffler assy. It's held into place with a few spot welds. So I ended up with just the tip going to a tapper to weld onto. So it appears to be a stock muffler just shorter, yet it is all open. I like the look of a shorty slash cut, so it worked out.

End result is what you see a few pages back. I have yet to finish welding it up. During the process I'll include pictures of course.

Sorry about taking forever to reply! I didn't realize you had responded!

I don't really have a link up for the build yet; it's been such slow going that I'm sort of embarrassed to post anything yet! I LOVE the seat on that pic you posted. Do you know what type of a bike that is? It seems like the 440ltd seat might be at a sharper angle. I'm torn between just making a custom seat like that or paying somebody to really do it right and eliminate the drop seat configuration all together. Thing is it would probably set me back a good $400 to modify the frame, and I'm not sure I want to dedicate that much $$ to that portion of the build. Decisions, decisions...

M.B Co said:

Back
Top Bottom