Down under, an idiot and a 400F

So my other bike (dirt bike) is all done and dirt ready. Even has a new pipe coming, so hopefully it won't need any attention for a while.

This leaves time/money again for the 400. Plan in the short term is to get the final electrical bits (R&R), weld up the headers (looking to get a pro to finish weld them), buy all fresh engine parts (bearings, seals) to go with the 466 kit and ported head and then think about the intake.

I've decided on some stacks, I know the risks in engine wear but space is limited due to the monoshock upper mount and pods can be challenging to tune.

Sent a note to steel dragon and will buy some Alu stacks to fit into the tight space:

Will be bloody close with their off the shelf options, but there is always custom.

I have a set of UNI foam filters on mine. One advantage is that they're flexible enough to be 'pushed' out of the way if there's a clearance issue.

Note that this measurement (71mm) is taken from the 'fitted' edge of the carb mouth.

pods.jpg

Might be a solution if you decide to run filters?

cheers
ian

That's a good idea Ian, forgot about the Unis, still probably going to foul but would be better than K&N's which would not stand a chance of fitting I suspect.

or theres things like these (i'm sure there are better versions than the cheapest ebay types but you get the idea)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RED-41mm-42mm-Bent-Angled-Foam-Air-Filter-Pod-150cc-PIT-Quad-Dirt-Bike-ATV-Buggy-/261302935976?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd6de61a8

just having that angle might be enuf to clear the frame/suspension

Thinking the Unis might be the way to go. Stacks for 80% of rides, filters for the long ones.

If you have the airbox, remove the intake runner tubes and get foam filters that fit on the flange section (or a bit larger)
Cut them short enough to clear frame/suspension and offset to get extra clearance
That way you can get correct length intake and some filtration

neevo said:
That's a good idea Ian, forgot about the Unis, still probably going to foul but would be better than K&N's which would not stand a chance of fitting I suspect.

K&N's might fit in that application, since they taper. That said, I much prefer Uni's, and I think they do a better job. I use Maxima Fab1 filter spray; it goes on blue for visibility and sticks like cobwebs. Good stuff.

spotty said:
or theres things like these (i'm sure there are better versions than the cheapest ebay types but you get the idea)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RED-41mm-42mm-Bent-Angled-Foam-Air-Filter-Pod-150cc-PIT-Quad-Dirt-Bike-ATV-Buggy-/261302935976?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd6de61a8

just having that angle might be enuf to clear the frame/suspension

I've installed many of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/42mm-Bent-Air-Filter-2-stage-Sponge-foam-cleaner-90-125-140-cc-Pit-Dirt-Bike-Atv-/161513306487?hash=item259af17977&vxp=mtr

They have an excellent quality inner foam core, and it is well bonded to the neck. The neck is made of decent rubber that is soft enough to be pliable and strong enough to not cavitate. Can't argue with the price, either.

Those angled filters look like they can be moved around to fit, may not be able to use the pre-filter but I don't think it will be too much of a loss unless your going desert racing. ;D
Only issues I've ever had with foam filters is they can be over oiled and seriously restrict airflow, particularly with some of the 'stickier' filter oils.
K&N will outlast any foam filter, I've mentioned before the ones on my 378 are at least 25 yrs old, probably closer to 30 by now :eek:

Weldangrind said:
K&N's might fit in that application, since they taper.

That's a good point actually. Need to get my hands on one (or an analogue of one) to test fit.

Pretty sure you can go to website and download catalogue.
That will give you sizes, tapers, offsets, etc.
I haven't bothered to download a new catalogue for a few years, know the numbers I need for XS650 and CB360 carbs ;D

I've pushed the button on some bling, maybe not for everyday riding but wanted them for if I show the bike off anywhere:

89a3bbd4f98b538eb49ca88794212af6.jpg

Ordered from Steel Dragon in the good ol USofA and off the back of some great reports about their service. Needless to say the whole transaction was delightful and I thoroughly recommend them to anyone.

They can be found here:

http://www.steeldragonperformance.com/products_2.html

Looking forward to getting them on the bike. Also I am entering bike building phase again, on the hunt for a tube welding artist to lay some amazing beads on my custom SS headers.

Plus it also looks like I am getting close to pushing the button on all new engine internals (bearings, seals, chains etc). Just need to make sure I have everything ready to run the motor first before I start building it back up.

Velocity stacks ordered but that's about it. Fixing the suspension on my KTM at the moment to ensure I have a bike I can ride.

Plan was to get back into it but the dirtbike has thrown up a few curveballs (like a damaged shock thread):

8ae2bd0dd041cf076dd8a3d5ae93ff6c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom