Full face or open face?

Wondering what everyone uses for helmets?

• Full Face

Votes: 27 93.1%
  • Open Face

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DohcBikes said:
The likelyhood of a crash is far higher in a race setting. Duh.

You reckon? 20 or so guys all going the same direction. Most if not all having a pretty good idea what they are doing. No cross traffic. No idiots texting. I'll take the racetrack any day.

+1 big difference in a get off and hitting a Camry full of texting teenagers broadside... I'm certain racing is much safer and helmets are no option not only for liability (the riders sign waivers anyway) but to prevent a bloody slick spot on the track :eek:

I'd venture to say you are far more likely to have a wreck out and about than in a controlled race setting.

J-Rod10 said:
I'd venture to say you are far more likely to have a wreck out and about than in a controlled race setting.
I can only speak from first hand experience. I build engines for MX and ATV racers, know dozens of drag racers, and I've ridden on the street for 20 years. Racers crash a lot more often in my experience.

Wonder how many times Valentino has crashed a bike in traffic? He's the best rider in the world and he wrecks on the track quite a bit. Highly doubt he's wrecked as many times in traffic.

Tune-A-Fish said:
You are correct sir, just most race crashes result in torn uterus's not death.
So what y'all should say is not that it's more likely, but the risk of injury is higher because you aren't wearing full race gear and there are many more variables on the street that can result in greater injury. Another Duh.

DohcBikes said:
So what y'all should say is not that it's more likely, but the risk of injury is higher because you aren't wearing full race gear and there are many more variables on the street that can result in greater injury. Another Duh.

Yes but more correctly would be... gear period. Big fuckin dot right therrr... Leathers with steel fisted gloves space gear Kevlar helmets, Kevlar layered boots air bags sewn into leathers... The list goes on and on. Ridin Dirty can get you killed, but it ain't my problem (unless it's my kid or family) hospital bills included.

The worst is watching some kid high side at 200 mph and wing up a body bag, not often but strange anomalies happen when you least expect it.... Purely a spectator perspective of course!

Tune-A-Fish said:
Yes but more correctly would be... gear period. Big fuckin dot right therrr... Leathers with steel fisted gloves space gear Kevlar helmets, Kevlar layered boots air bags sewn into leathers... The list goes on and on. Ridin Dirty can get you killed, but it ain't my problem (unless it's my kid or family) hospital bills included.

The worst is watching some kid high side at 200 mph and wing up a body bag, not often but strange anomalies happen when you least expect it.... Purely a ѕpecтaтor perѕpecтιve of course!

Speaking of that rate of speed....

I coach wrestling @ the high school I graduated from 5 years ago. Now, entering into the second season, I've noticed my preparation is different than before. I attribute this partially to the accident but mostly to how life has been since. Leading the charge is a an all familiar objective: search for the answers. I try my best to coach while constantly considering my position in their lives(their, as in members of the team). Those that are impacted by my mindset, my diligence, my level of focus...But I have downfalls and I'm inspiring to an extent. My goal and desire is that they may be led by their own capabilities and desires. At times when I need to really drive a point home my brain occasionally seeks beyond my own experience. I am reminded me of things that have stirred my brain in the past. Then it happens.
"ATTENTION BRAIN: RESET" types of moments shine through and next thing you know.... motorcycles. "BOOM", as the wrestlers like to say it when I finish a flashy double leg. Something foreign to most of them and even myself (to some degree) has represented the kind of crazy, internalized mindset I hope they can tap into. Knowing I have limited time to attempt/accomplish the desired positive impact; I try my best to help them tap into it sooner, rather than later. Simply put, the need for speed is truly an abstract thing. Racing, in general, presents something very radical, aside from any tag along bullshit externalities. The shit is raw. <(meaningful shit, shit!)

The first time I became aware of the Isle of Man (about a year ago, give me a break...) I flipped out. WOOOOOOIIE!!
My 22yr old brain, and its minute level of knowledge, failed to provide the immediate answers I was seeking. I remember watching it and thinking, "holy fuck, this shit is insane" and "Oh shit, it's raining and they are all still flying....and... and... and...". These strong individuals, I tell ya! Constantly fighting to stay in position, COMMITTING to the position becomes a thing of success, survival. Almost as mechanical as the machine itself. That represents the kind of crazy I desire for them to commit to finding within themselves. Absolute insanity. Fuck. God damn it, the sound of the engines and the environment of the race. The intensity. MIND-BLOWN.

Whoa...all you said was 200mph and look what you did!?

The way I see it, you gotta wear your helmet or else something that is unfair could happen and you end up without a face. Worst part(most essential component in my argument) you could be dismantled by some dipshit. I tend to take more kindly to the one brain I was born with and frankly, it's my buddy! We do everything together, good and bad. It's here to stay with its cooperating friends such as the almighty/amazing nervous system. Do what you want to do but I myself am sold on the lid. Because if not, I would be the story of the boy that motorcycling inhaled and exhaled. In two short years, I could have died for simply having a fucking interest/new hobby! That pure(?) filth that has done nothing but prove his lack of humanity in the numerous processes thus far. All this because I have a desire to learn! Crazy.

MY BOTTOM LINE:
My life > that dumbass( and his flagrant mistakes).

The helmet kept me to this ideal; it has earned its keep in my book. Yes, a thing is capable of earning keep in my noggin. Just like that pair of pliers that are go-to for more than one instance. Keep is earned. It's not cut and DRY, it's an unfair bloody SMASH I wish to protect myself from. Concrete is hard and people suck. The way it's always been. I don't fight nature, I adapt like a good ape does.

I always wear full face.

I'm in a group of motorcycle enthusiasts,which i'm not 100% happy with,they tend to brag and hang out just to talk about which new motos they want to buy and which brands fit to their new triumph and stuff.
One day a guy which I hate the most comes up to me when i put on my shoei full face 'let me tell you something,with a bike like that you cannot wear this type of helmet' and points at me.
I reacted 'i'm sorry i'm not do much into substance administered by gavages'.
Silence.

In Austria wearing no decent protection has a different dimension too.
I pay every month about 30 per cent of my salary to keep our expensive, yet valuable health system up.
If a guy crashes his bike,smashes his face,I pay for what he gets for treatement.

I hate fashion and I hate people that think they are badass because they take stupid risks for fashionable looks.

I lived in Hawaii for four years and it is a no helmet state. I always wear a full face helmet at the very least and now have a nice full KLIM riding suit (pants and jacket are two separate pieces and I almost always wear at least the jacket) and Shoei boots. I am of the mind set that common sense should be the determiner of our own safety not the government telling us how to be safe.

While in Hawaii I saw a guy riding in flip flops, and a tank top, and board shorts no helmet just sunglasses with his pretty little girlfriend behind him in a bikini top, flip flops, and short shorts come flying through a right hand turn into traffic at twice the speed limit. He at least gave her the helmet to wear. But all I could think is "If he crashed by being a dumb ass not only will he get wrecked but his pretty little girlfriend, who had no control over the situation, will also be wrecked." Safety first.

Now to be honest I have ridden a few times in Hawaii in just shorts and flip flops and a helmet. Gear rubs you raw when the salt water dries after a day at the beach so I guess I am just as guilty of being the idiot that other guy was. After seeing that raw bloody foot someone posted it is full shoes always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts on modular helmets?
I have a nolan modular full face that I wear. I have a friend that thinks it's a waste of your time to wear a modular full face.

I wore a 3/4 this morning. About a mile in, I regretted it.

35° straight to the face is not pleasant.

J-Rod10 said:
I wore a 3/4 this morning. About a mile in, I regretted it.

35° straight to the face is not pleasant.

ive done that myself.

The inability to breathe at that temp is equally dis pleasurable.

Ryan Stecken said:
I always wear full face.

I'm in a group of motorcycle enthusiasts,which i'm not 100% happy with,they tend to brag and hang out just to talk about which new motos they want to buy and which brands fit to their new triumph and stuff.
One day a guy which I hate the most comes up to me when i put on my shoei full face 'let me tell you something,with a bike like that you cannot wear this type of helmet' and points at me.
I reacted 'i'm sorry i'm not do much into substance administered by gavages'.
Silence.

In Austria wearing no decent protection has a different dimension too.
I pay every month about 30 per cent of my salary to keep our expensive, yet valuable health system up.
If a guy crashes his bike,smashes his face,I pay for what he gets for treatement.

I hate fashion and I hate people that think they are badass because they take stupid risks for fashionable looks.

I like this post because I really like the idea of you/someone being part of a MC in which you don't like any of the members. Very funny.

Full face for me. Looks more badass. Oh and it's safer etc etc

el barto said:
I like this post because I really like the idea of you/someone being part of a MC in which you don't like any of the members. Very funny.

Full face for me. Looks more badass. Oh and it's safer etc etc
I was in one of those for a while. Members were idiots. Nobody ever brought a bike to meetings, nobody even talked about bikes. Waste of time.

Back
Top Bottom