Father Son 75 CB200T Rise From the Ruins

Comparison no baffles then removal of one megaphone http://youtu.be/z29RjGnLqao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Zeke revs and backs off the throttle and we see this for the first time. Is the wave pulling spent fuel into the megaphone?
uresy8uz.jpg

I noticed that too. And smiled a little. Did it throw your jetting way off? I noticed some hesitation in throttle response a couple blips.

1sttimer said:
I noticed that too. And smiled a little. Did it throw your jetting way off? I noticed some hesitation in throttle response a couple blips.
with the added back pressure of the baffles caused the throttle hesitation and was running rich and then we blew off one of the cones so we figured lucky didn't want to be baffled and we wanted to see how Cone constructed the megaphones so we pulled out the saws all. We are about to pull the fairing and go to the dyno to see if we can improve on the 17.3 hp with the megaphones and we need to weld some hoops and make different size lengths of pipe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also what does the length of the primary megaphone impact? Will a short megaphone be better for top end and a longer megaphone for torque?

In all seriousness, though... that previous pic is the formulas for designing a two stroke exhaust pipe.

Four strokes work a bit differently (obviously), but some of the same concepts (and math) apply.

That said, wave tuning the exhaust has fallen out of favor, which is why you don't see reverse megaphone mufflers on modern bikes too often, anymore.

It turns out that four stroke engines respond better to flow than to wave tuning. Your goal should be an open pipe with relatively few bends and enough length such that one exhaust pulse is always in the pipe before the next one has a chance to enter. Some math will be needed to calculate the length... I think I covered it in my "Doing it Right" thread, but I can repost of needed.

Sonreir said:
In all seriousness, though... that previous pic is the formulas for designing a two stroke exhaust pipe.

Four strokes work a bit differently (obviously), but some of the same concepts (and math) apply.

That said, wave tuning the exhaust has fallen out of favor, which is why you don't see reverse megaphone mufflers on modern bikes too often, anymore.

It turns out that four stroke engines respond better to flow than to wave tuning. Your goal should be an open pipe with relatively few bends and enough length such that one exhaust pulse is always in the pipe before the next one has a chance to enter. Some math will be needed to calculate the length... I think I covered it in my "Doing it Right" thread, but I can repost of needed.
I have the math somewhere in this string and we heard the megaphones at motogp...http://touch.cycleworld.com/all/110845#1

I was just wondering about the length of the megaphone and the reverse cone...some megaphones are 12, 18, etc. long and how that impacts the pulse. As we found out at a lower idle it was quieter than an open pipe but we haven't listened to it at 11k...yet.

A shorter cone will generally offer higher torque, but over a shorter RPM range. Longer cone stretches out the torque band, with less overall gain.

Sonreir said:
A shorter cone will generally offer higher torque, but over a shorter RPM range. Longer cone stretches out the torque band, with less overall gain.
so is the increased torque curve cause by the resonance?

Texasstar said:
So Zeke revs and backs off the throttle and we see this for the first time. Is the wave pulling spent fuel into the megaphone?
uresy8uz.jpg

i meant to say unspent fuel

In theory, the sharper angles created by a shorter cone result in stronger wave reflections, but over a smaller RPM range.

In practice, it doesn't matter as much on a four stroke as it does on a two stroke. Reverse cone mufflers are largely a aural and aesthetic decision.

Matt is correct that short fat megaphones make a stronger pulse over a narrow range and longer megs stretch it out. Honda typically work best with long megaphones and very short reverse cone.

Short pipes peak at high revs and long pipes at lower revs, but in general, long megs are best to stretch the powerband.

Matt's also correct that the modern idea with merge collectors is to maximize flow and the tuned length is less of an issue. Stepped pipes work a similar way to send a negative pulse back to arrive at TDC on overlap at high revs.

What's at the front end of those baffle tubes? If they are open at both ends, they should work like a parallel pipe. If one end is closed, they are not going to work so well in your application.

Can't wait to see the next set of dyno charts.

teazer said:
Matt is correct that short fat megaphones make a stronger pulse over a narrow range and longer megs stretch it out. Honda typically work best with long megaphones and very short reverse cone.

Short pipes peak at high revs and long pipes at lower revs, but in general, long megs are best to stretch the powerband.

Matt's also correct that the modern idea with merge collectors is to maximize flow and the tuned length is less of an issue. Stepped pipes work a similar way to send a negative pulse back to arrive at TDC on overlap at high revs.

What's at the front end of those baffle tubes? If they are open at both ends, they should work like a parallel pipe. If one end is closed, they are not going to work so well in your application.

Can't wait to see the next set of dyno charts.
we removed the baffles but they were open before
ytuhe8ud.jpg

Could you raise Lucky's compression by using a cb175 head? The stock ratio for both the 175 and 200 is 9:1 .in the 200 that's 99cc per cylinder into 11cc at TDC since the 175 is 87cc into 9.6666ccc at 9:1 by swapping heads you get 97.6666cc into 9.6666 so a compression ratio of 10:1 on paper anyway
Or am I missing something

simo said:
Could you raise Lucky's compression by using a cb175 head? The stock ratio for both the 175 and 200 is 9:1 .in the 200 that's 99cc per cylinder into 11cc at TDC since the 175 is 87cc into 9.6666ccc at 9:1 by swapping heads you get 97.6666cc into 9.6666 so a compression ratio of 10:1 on paper anyway
Or am I missing something
we are at 10.ish-1 now with the copper head gasket :) thanks Simo that's an interesting option. 11:1 :) We have Zeke's 175 on the bench at the moment so we will take a look.

Back
Top Bottom