Stripping gas tank to bare metal

Djfob

Been Around the Block
I know aircraft stripper would work the best, stuff is nasty to work with so last resort. Hand sanding would take forever.

My question is would a brass coated steel crimp wheel on an angle grinder leave deep marks on the tank. Not painting over it so would want to keep it as clean as possible.

The crimp wheel would have to be ordered so would like some input before I pulled the trigger.

home depot sells a paint stripper meant for furniture that I have used with great success.....its cheap and easy to get, and it was in a gel format.
The wire wheel is for me way to much work when I can let something else do all the hard stuff

I use the furniture type stripper as well, works good. I usually give the paint a sanding over prior to using it, helps the stripper get to work.

Yep Circa 1850 is great, brush on, wait, brush one more, wait, brush on again and the paint just starts coming off, keep brushing until almost bare then dip steel wool into it and finish rubbing the last of it off, wipe with paper towel and all done. Let the stripper do the work. Wear the right gloves though.

I haven't had good luck with the paint strippers... I'm probably not doing it right. Sand blasting is a lot better in my opinion.

Lime what was said make sure to scuff it up before putting the stripper on . Helps the chemical get under it and lift it

DJ, 3M make "Coating Removal" disks in various grades. I have used these many times, the light grade will remove paint no problem. Just attach it to your grinder and go for it.

Looks like this.

1DXP2_AS01.JPG

I have had mixed luck with Aircraft Stripper. It seems that it works very well on surfaces without a primer. On frames with thick paint and primer I have had bad luck. I will try the home depot stuff soon. That's exciting because the aircraft stuff is indeed expensive.

Bead blasting has served me well.

The "right way" is to have it caustic stripped because that takes care of the inside too (acid bath).

I've found the aircraft stripper (I use Tal-Strip 2) is way better than the HD style furniture stripper. Paint usually flakes immediately with the tal strip, but the furniture stripper takes coating, brushing, coating, brushing, coating, brushing to work. The furniture stuff is definitely cheaper, but more labor intensive.

mathil said:
I've found the aircraft stripper (I use Tal-Strip 2) is way better than the HD style furniture stripper. Paint usually flakes immediately with the tal strip, but the furniture stripper takes coating, brushing, coating, brushing, coating, brushing to work. The furniture stuff is definitely cheaper, but more labor intensive.

Tal-Strip 2 http://3mcollision.com/mar-hyde-tal-strip-ii-aircraft-coating-remover-aerosol-3711-12-oz-12-per-case.html is discontinued in the US. If you can find it hold on to it. Some guy used it to take the enamel off a tub and it killed him in the process. Something about the gasses are heavier than air so he was asphyxiated.

I'm working on 2 tanks tonight. my plan is to try using nylon bristle wheels. I have heard good things. I'll lelt you know how it goes.
image_22506.jpg

I used aircraft stripper, wire brushes, and some "scotchbrite" type pads on the angle grinder. Used the angle grinder sparingly though. Mine turned out great.
0313c30141248550d6748841c994148a.jpg

m511y said:
Tal-Strip 2 http://3mcollision.com/mar-hyde-tal-strip-ii-aircraft-coating-remover-aerosol-3711-12-oz-12-per-case.html is discontinued in the US. If you can find it hold on to it. Some guy used it to take the enamel off a tub and it killed him in the process. Something about the gasses are heavier than air so he was asphyxiated.

I'm working on 2 tanks tonight. my plan is to try using nylon bristle wheels. I have heard good things. I'll lelt you know how it goes.
image_22506.jpg

Don't I know it... I tried to buy another gallon and it's off the shelves in Canada too. It's a shame, because responsible people with brains should be able to buy and properly dispose of nasty chemicals.

m511y said:

image_22506.jpg

So I had some time to work in the shed tonight. The orange 80 grit nylon wheel will definitely work, but it will take a while. The tank I'm working on having 3 different layers of paint probably doesn't help either. The paint is thicker than I have ever seen before. If I ever get all of it off with these nylon wheels, Ill post some shots.

I did a raw metal tank on one of my bikes. Strongly recommend doing a good quality clear coat over it. I used about 4 coats of Eastwood rattle can clear satin on my tank and fenders, I really like it. I've had zero issues with fuel on it either. Solid stuff.

http://www.eastwood.com/diamond-clear-satin-set.html

canyoncarver said:
I did a raw metal tank on one of my bikes. Strongly recommend doing a good quality clear coat over it. I used about 4 coats of Eastwood rattle can clear satin on my tank and fenders, I really like it. I've had zero issues with fuel on it either. Solid stuff.

http://www.eastwood.com/diamond-clear-satin-set.html

I'll have to give Eastwood a try. It is definitely less money than USC Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat Aerosol.

That Eastwood clear is actually made for bare metal. I know with paint specific clears there's a chance of rust forming under.

Back
Top Bottom