1963 Matchless G12 Cafe Racer

Jeromef said:
Hi!
I am new on the web site.
Congratulation for your project! How is it going since your last post??
I am myself a big fan of the G45 this is for me the nicest British bike ever.
The look is amazing. I own a norton cafe racer wideline featherbed frame with a 850 commando engine! Such a beauty... Manx style, seat and petrol tanks.. Alloy oil tank as well... Great bike!! I love it like this but just to change the look and to try something else, I was thinking to put a black G45 petrol tank and a G45 seat...
Beachcomber I would like to ask you if it is possible to adjust this on a featherbed frame??? I think it could be awesome on my norton..
And also do you know where I can buy a nice copy of a G 45 tank??
Thanks a lot for your help. It seems that you have a big experience with matchless cafe racer..
Jerome

I'll agree with that - the G45 was one of the nicest overall designs.

Your main issue with the G45 / 7R etc. tank is that it is designed to go over a central spine tube frame. whereas the Norton sits on the side rails as you know.

There are a few people making dummy tank covers, which simply fit over an existing tank - pretty much as I intend to do with my Vindicator CR.

I think the main problem would be the width at the front of the tank.

Hello beachcomber!
Thanks à lot for your Quick answer. Very cool.
So if i understand well it is not possible to built a copy of a G45 tank which fits a norton frame?? I thought some people in India could do it... In my mind it did not look complicated to make a tank with the matchless design but also a good way to attach it on a featherbed frame....
So according to you the only solution is to buy a specific cover (G45 design) that I could put over my Manx tank?? That s a good idea... Then I could also keep my tank and just put something on top of it... If it looks nice and real that s fine with me... Do you have an idea about the price for this?? And do you know who I should contact for that work? Is it a British company?
Thank you very much for your help...this is really nice of you.
Jerome

And also I will have a problem with the seat! I love the big seat of the G45, (not the 50), and I am afraid it will not fit the featherbed frame... Especially because my norton has a central oil tank. With the cap on top... That s why I have a Manx seat where you can see the cap and fill the tank from the top.... So I don t know how I can keep that oil tank with a G45 seat... Do you think someone can do that kind of seat for my norton??
Thanks again for your answer... This is not easy to get a g45 style mc with a norton :) maybe I should by a matchless cafe racer, with the good frame :) but I like my commando engine, it is much more powerful than any 650 matchless road bike....

Jeromef,

swing over to my thread "Vindicator" under Cafe Racers and we'll pick up on the tank / seat queries.

Hey guys,
I'm sorry but the project came to a halt for the moment due to money issue. I will update the moment it gets back on track.

Union Jack said:
Hey guys,
I'm sorry but the project came to a halt for the moment due to money issue. I will update the moment it gets back on track.

As long as you're safe and sound my friend

thanks for the update Union Jack! Your project is awesome !
Good luck with it. Hope you will find the money you need to finish is soon..
Thanks beachcomber, I will check that.

Back
Top Bottom