1972 Suzuki T500 Titan family project

screebo

Hello All,
I've loved riding since the 1960's. One of my favorite early bikes was a stock Suzuki 350. I just love a two stroke's character and "dual hornet" sound. The power curve is playful and fun as well. It was kind of like putting a Lotus Super 7 through it's paces, modest power with a somewhat narrow power band and reasonably agile handling.

I'm delighted to take custody of the project that my brother in law, Reddy, started a little while back. I'll be connecting cables, plumbing up and painting the new oil tank, dialing in the controls and sorting out the electrics. A lot of TLC has already gone into this black beauty and most of it's components are in great shape. It promises to be a very fun and unusual bike to arrive on! My goal is to have it running and ready to leave hibernation by the end of the year.

Cheers!

John
IMG_2443_zps519873b5.jpg

Welcome to DTT. Love the Suzuki smokers myself. Have a GT250 at the moment. There are a few really nice T500 builds here on the site. Keep us posted on your progress.

I got a few t500's , I love them. Looking forward to seeing this one get finished

screebo said:
I'm delighted to take custody of the project that my brother in law, Reddy, started a little while back.

What a great starting point!

Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Crazy

Thanks for the encouraging words!
Today I removed the gas and oil tank as well for good look at things and some paint work soon. I need to establish the exit thread on the new oil tank and find an oil line I can adapt to the stock oil input. Any thoughts on oil line sources are most welcome.

I snuck the highly polished, stainless steel Titan Performance left tuned expansion chamber a little closer to centerline and a gained little more clearance for the Kickstarter. I didn't want to start dinging that beauty. Nice functional art! I offer 5 star review material, design, fabrication and finish. You guys are craftsmen! I can't wait to hear 'em sing. Nice job, proud to have 'em on the bike.

I'm planning places to mount electrics as well as routing. I've already placed the new battery on the Tender!

Today I primed and painted the frame areas that had bending or welding accomplished in recent times. I also primed and prepared the oil tank for top coat. I'm sticking with a gloss black paint scheme rather than Reddy's original Ducati Red Plan. I'm felling a little guilty for not stripping down to the bare frame prior to prep ant paint but here's my excuse: I'm completing a bike to ride and not primarily to show. I'm lowering my cosmetic expectations only a smidgen in order to expedite getting the bike on the road.

I talked to Curt Owen (http://www.anythinggoes74.com/About.html) who fabricated the very cool oil tank who advised me that the exit thread of his tank is likely 1/8" NPT. Any suggestions regarding where to get an oil line that will screw in to the 1/8" NPT on one end and connect to my stock oil intake on the engine would be most appreciated. I've got my Loctite out and am getting ready to start finalizing all accessories and components. I'm getting all the electrical locations finalized as well so I can get a schematic figured out for connecting the new electronic ignition to all components.

Regarding proper jetting: To the gang at Titan Performance: Could you please suggest a good starting place for any re-jetting I should plan on for the expansion chambers and K and N intake stacks. Also where I can procure these jets and installation tips. I want this bike to be correct in all it's breathing. The engine is stock.

Thanks all!

John

Got my rear brake hooked up and working well, bought some fender washers, ready for final location and installation along with newly painted oil tank. Still need a new clutch cable and a custom oil line before I launch into finalizing electrics location and schematic.
IMG_2501_zpsf2b548e5.jpg

IMG_2503_zpsd1bada6f.jpg

IMG_2505_zpsbc7d5111.jpg

I'm pretty sure the "something missing" item is the tachometer connection. Since I will not be running a mechanical tach, should I cap this off?

What bottom end oil and mix oil are most of us using in motors like ours?

Thanks!

Nice project! Yes that is the tach connection coming up through the oil pump. Not quite sure what you are trying to do with that one new oil line is it going to go from the oil tank to the pump?

I love the T500 I built one and you can see it at this link if interested http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20290.945

Hey Johnu,

Thanks! Do I need to cap off the tach take off? Any idea where such a cap might be found? Sorry about all the newbie questions. Yes, I'm planning to either cut and connect to existing oil line of preferably purchase a custom line with the stock Suzuki style fitting at the oil pump end and a .125 NPT fitting on the other. Something like 18" or so would work perfect. That item and a short clutch cable that will bolt up to my clip on bars are my only snags at this time.

I just saw your build thread. Nice custom work and choices, really eye catching! My bike will be the "Humble Country Cousin" to the family of extra special bikes showcased on this site!

John

oil line

Hey John,
The oil tank is lookin' good with a coat of paint on it.

I am thinking you could get an oil line made at a hose shop. The one in the link below advertises custom hoses while you wait. I would take the tank and the old line to show them and maybe even that picture of the old line connected to the pump just to avoid errors. Hope this helps. http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/hose-assemblies-while-you-wait/?utm_campaign=MS-HydraulicHoses&utm_source=Yahoo

John.....loving what you are doing to your 500.....but I guess I would.
It's not essential to cap off the tacho drive, unless for cosmetic purposes, and on extending the oil line.....we have done just that, cut it, insert a piece, and use the original ends. Works fine. On the jetting...I increased the main jets from 97.5 to 115, and went for 2 sizes up on the pilots in my own bike, and it runs good without melting anything. Mikuni jets are readily available on-line easily......ps, thank you for the high praise on our pipes...glad you like them !

Thanks guys. It's really coming together nicely. I still need a shortened clutch cable but I'm ready to blaze ahead on ordering some new jets and finalize the oil connect. I'll go with cutting the old oil line about an inch from the pump cover and clamp a new line over the O.D. of the old line. Some line with stainless steel braid would be a good choice. Looks like I can get it made locally.

I've got a plan to mount the coil and other electronics and will have more pic as I get things hooked up.

I started a thread in lounging at the club for Titans you should post a picture of your bike there

Will do Brad. I'm hot to get the major components into their final locations this week and post some more pics. I'm pulling the carbs and replacing the main and pilot jets as Titan Performance crew suggests. It's been 42 years since I kicked over a two stroke of my own!
Last night I found a new clutch cable in the box that Reddy gave me with the bike. It hooked up and works perfect. Wow, that clutch is a bit of a bear. My guess is that with some use it will loosen some. I love the double shoe drum brakes in the front. They are in excellent condition and the wheels just look fabulous. I wonderful mix of new and old on this one.

John

Pulled the carbs. Nothing unexpected except gaskets are gummy and everything looks a little ancient. Heheheh. Here's the surprise, my main jets are 150's. Hmmmm. According the the service manual, 150 is stock for the T500. Further comment or affirmation on main jet and pilot jet changes would be great. I do appreciate proper mix and breathing especially with two stroke so any comments are most welcome! Should I further disassemble the carbs for cleaning or just soak them in carb cleaner. Also, what is your favorite mixing and bottom end oils for Titans? Is there a trend toward favorites? (Edit update: Chose Redline 2 stroke racing oil for the injection tank.) Thanks very much.

John
IMG_2524_zpsc44e8cc8.jpg

ScreenShot2014-11-04at125919PM_zpsc198c46f.png

IMG_2517_zps8340eef0.jpg

Got Oil! Got my new oil line today. Fit perfect! The Parker Store in Fremont, CA did a great job for a fair price.
Also, This speedo is pretty hot.....Edit update: Got a line on a "Spoke magnet" that will work in the absence of a disc to mount it to.
IMG_2540_zps4d054a2b.jpg

IMG_2544_zps1f3961e6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom