cb125 project

rupaulpierce

Been Around the Block
A good friend of mine and professional sociopath just had an unexpected baby, facilitating my commandeering of his awesome cb125 project.

412604_10150711543374547_615894546_9271465_1923138280_o.jpg

I'll post photos of the thing assembled later.

He says he lost a fork bolt, and referenced it as "Part 22 on page 59" of this manual (page 60 if you're viewing online instead of downloading it):

http://www.filestube.com/1de7a0affd103a3e03e9/go.html

That bolt is absent, however, from all the schematics on Honda Parts Direct and other sites. Anyone know what it is? He said the bike was a 74, could it be something else?

Re: mystery fork bolt

Serial number will help identify model/year, as would the title for the bike. Is there a reason you don't believe its a 1974 CB125? I don't know enough about them to ID it from that picture.

The bolt is the one that secures the damper mechanism to the lower fork slider. Just a bolt. A parts fiche will tell you the metric size/length of it. Probably an M8 using a copper washer.

advice needed... pardon me for being a noob, first motorcycle project.

This is a complete cb125... my friend broke it down and painted the frame and most of the bits. He assembled it but I just tore it down again to paint whatever we didn't bother to and finish the job right.

A buddy of mine (Sevoian Cycles: http://www.sevoiancycles.com/) is helping me out. Being a little more practical he thinks I should put it all together and get it running stock. I think I should go nuts, buy everything I want for the project, and do it up before this project slides down on the priority list. The stock muffler is shot, so my rationale is why build it up and jet the carbs for the stock muffler when I intend to replace it.

Here's what i'm thinking. Again, have no idea what i'm talking about so if this doesn't make sense let me know... Get a custom exhaust and whatever other mods make sense (oversize valve? new carb?) and just build the thing up and start tuning. Why put it together and tune it stock if I know it's not staying that way?

rupaulpierce said:
advice needed... pardon me for being a noob, first motorcycle project.

This is a complete cb125... my friend broke it down and painted the frame and most of the bits. He assembled it but I just tore it down again to paint whatever we didn't bother to and finish the job right.

A buddy of mine (Sevoian Cycles: http://www.sevoiancycles.com/) is helping me out. Being a little more practical he thinks I should put it all together and get it running stock. I think I should go nuts, buy everything I want for the project, and do it up before this project slides down on the priority list. The stock muffler is shot, so my rationale is why build it up and jet the carbs for the stock muffler when I intend to replace it.

Here's what i'm thinking. Again, have no idea what i'm talking about so if this doesn't make sense let me know... Get a custom exhaust and whatever other mods make sense (oversize valve? new carb?) and just build the thing up and start tuning. Why put it together and tune it stock if I know it's not staying that way?

Because you've not done it before, and it's at least ten times easier to get it running stock than it is to start with a bunch of unknown factors working together and *then* try to get it running.

Not to dissuade you from buying parts! But you'll have a far easier time getting it running stock and then making modifications than you will trying to throw a bunch of stuff together than doesn't have an owners manual and 40 years of user experience.

Your friend is being a lot practical, I'd say. Buy him a beer for saving you at least a fin in aspirin purchases.

Listen to your mate......... build it stock and get it running, then throw money at it.
And if you want more power, don't arse around, get it taken out to 150cc to see any meaningful difference, and it will be just fine with a stock carb.
I'd worry more about the renovating the wheel/steering bearings, brakes, tyres and suspension first.

project update

Got most of the bits painted and re-assembled. I have what I think is the correct bolt for the fork, but haven't taken them apart yet. Need to tweak the exhaust so the kickstart clears it... more pics soon.

CB125's run wiring through the controls, so I think i'm just going to replace them completely instead of cutting out the old stuff. Any recommendations for new control switches?

322034_10100889476568712_728665308_o.jpg

swapped the front end with a 1980 cb125 to ditch the mech disc and go drum. converted to 12v... very easy. figured out the wiring, just got to clean it up.

i think the seat is too big, it bothers me. help me decide what to do in that department?

Attachments

• IMG_3120.JPG
    IMG_3120.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 226
rupaulpierce said:
i think the seat is too big, it bothers me. help me decide what to do in that department?
Make it smaller?

One easy formula for getting close to what the eye wants to see, is to use "divine proportion" method as follows: Tank max length divided by 1.618 will give you the tail section length. Tank max height divided by 1.618 will give you the tail section height.

There are plenty of bikes that break these rules and still look great.

I'm thinking about going brat with a rear hoop, I'd like to be able to squeeze on a passenger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rupaulpierce said:
I'd like to be able to squeeze on a passenger
I like to squeeze on a passenger now and then myself.

The cb125 isn't the best bike for tandem rides, but to each his own.

I also think the hump is a bit exaggerated... but yeah, I don't recommend passengers on these little things. I popped my rear tube yesterday when I rode up the driveway with a girl on the back. I normally say no to passengers but she hadn't been on a motorcycle before so I had to break my rule. Oh well ::)

2e5c67ff2bf4ae7b7ff369163ece221a.jpg

Need to make brackets for the front fender... Tires are bigger and mounts might be lower on the '80 forks. Either way the tire is rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom