The New SR400 !!!

DreadRock

Bang Cut Grind ..Dam Did I Need That Part ?
DTT BOTM WINNER
What do you guys think ?

http://www.bing.com/fd/ls/GLinkPing.aspx?IG=e57e7673def64499b8152c8a1ee9e614&&ID=SERP,5075.1&SUIH=J3-NWQ4I--pY6_RvRojHgQ&redir=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5tb3RvcmN5Y2xlLXVzYS5jb20vNjQ5LzE4MDU1L01vdG9yY3ljbGUtQXJ0aWNsZS8yMDE1LVlhbWFoYS1TUjQwMC1GaXJzdC1Mb29rLmFzcHg

Your link isn't working, but it's good to see they FINALLY brought that bike to the US market. $6K is a little steep maybe for a 400 single but... it's a nice bike.

Might be my wife's step-up from her TU250X. I'd ride it - but again, $6K buys a lot of bike if you're willing to buy a 2-3 year old machine.

63529699672418225514-yamaha-sr400-1.jpg

Yay, first streetbike in North America with a kickstart since the W650!

i hope this brings the price of older ones back to a reasonable level haha. but i doubt it.

It's just a link to a video and story behind the bike !

Yea lil pricey and would be fun to pick up after a few years out on the market . Still makes me wonder if other Manufacturers will follow suit ?? And I would think if it takes off the older ones might go up more but who knows !

Let me get this straight, several makes can bring out a full bodied, small bore bike in the $4k range, but this naked is $6k ? I think it's pretty cool looking, but $6k ????

Well, the closest full bodied bike I can figure is the Honda CB500F which is $5,800.

Honda's CB250R is $4,200 which is a little less than the Suzuki TU250X at $4,300. Like the CB500F / SR400 comparison, you get more bike for the money with the Honda, but none of the charm.

It's steep for a 400cc bike, but if you were choosing between the TU250X and the SR400, the 400 will allow you to get out of the city while the 250 is a real chore on the highway. Doable, but the 400 would likely be a lot nicer.

I still feel like $6K is a little steep. You could have a nice used Bonneville/Thruxton for that. Of course then you wouldn't get a kickstarter....

john83 said:
I still feel like $6K is a little steep. You could have a nice used Bonneville/Thruxton for that. Of course then you wouldn't get a kickstarter....
n don't forget bout awesome wheelies!!!

Joon-yah Bourelle said:
n don't forget bout awesome wheelies!!!

It's a 400 and looks heavy as fuck. I don't understand, People rip Harley for over priced old tech. Unless this thing has 70+ H.P. and less than 300lbs. the only wheelies are when you dump the clutch and yank on the bars. All the tech on tis bike was paid for decades ago. This bike should be $4-4.5k, because people are forgetting the added costs of shipping and assembly the dealers are fond of passing on to the customer, putting this bike in the $7,200+ range. I think Yamaha as well as they hit the FZ09 on the head, missed with this bike all together. The styling is pretty close, but unless it shoots solid gold rings out the tail pipe, I'll wait till I find a used one in the $3k range. I recently bought a low mileage SV650 for $2k that'll stomp the crap out of this 400. It just doesn't add up...

It is 384 lbs
It's also a thumper so torque galore, it shouldn't have any issue doing wheelies without dumping the clutch unless Yamaha has increased the wheelbase since the old models.

It ain't about outright power, it's about the whole package and it weighs in at around 380 wet with EFI I am sure it has enough poop for what it is. I want one as a commuter for sure. I think this would be a great new bike to own and ride while your other bikes are all being projects. It is a few hundred more then the TU250 and that bike can be used as a 2 up touring bike if you don't have to ride everywhere at 80+ MPH. Yes a SV650 will stop it in everything but soul, feel and character. THere is a reason people buy the new Enfields and this bike will be wayyyyy better built and is the same price.

SONIC. said:
It is 384 lbs
It's also a thumper so torque galore, it shouldn't have any issue doing wheelies without dumping the clutch unless Yamaha has increased the wheelbase since the old models.

It is the same bike, frame etc, with EFI. They have been continuosly producing them in Japan since the last SR500 came here.

also there are thousands of perfomance parts X Japan for these bikes

384lbs. is pretty heavy for a 400cc bike, My Aprilia comes in at 414lbs. I've owned many Yamaha singles, and though torque, not what I call wheelie machines without a little help. Both me and my wife are over 5' tall and with luggage over 400lbs. we won't be touring on a TU250. I'm not saying I don' like the bike, I've always been a fan of Yamaha Quality, especially the triples. And yes, I think this would be a great commuter bike. $6k is just too much for an old tech single. I think if this was priced towards the 300 Ninja and the TU250, it would sell better here. I'm sure the countries that are used to this bike will probably buy them by the boat load. It's a bike they all know and love. Here, that price will drive people with $6+k towards a used bike with more of everything.

The Yamaha FZ6 and Suzuki SV650 are not too far off and the Honda 500's are right in there price wise, and with finance incentives, very easy to buy and own.

Does anybody have the First ride or test links? I would like to know more about the bike....

Just preview articles out right now but I bet you can find a test from one of the countries this bike has been out in for the last 30 years. It really is the same bike as the last model sold in NA, only 400cc for the japanese displacement cap, with a few upgrades like the EFI and a little better shocks and forks, but the rest is the same. I here you on the Aprillia etc. but again apples to pears comparison and I also think the bike should be in the 4500 range to be priced right but just the fact it is coming is a move in the right direction. Also I can bet yout a 500 cc barrell and piston will follow it really fast as the 400 cc bike is a sleaved 500. They pumped the old ones to 500 for every market outside Japan and left that market at 400cc. I am sure you will be able to make it a 500 easy. I rode an SR500 once and it was a lot of fun, for different reasons then an SV650 or an R6 is fun. My commute to work is on secondary twisty roads with a 45 mph limit. My GL is not as fun as the CX because I need to exceed the speed limit soo much to get the feel of speed with the GL where the CX feels fast at 50mph and I can wring it out. My old CM450 was loads of fun too, full throttle screaming and only hitting 60-65 between turns so not likely to get a ticket etc. An R6 wouldn't get out of 2nd gear and I would be hitting 80-90 or even the ton on the straights to get the same rush the SR would give me at half the speed, and instead of being 30-40 years old and likely to need a ton of maintenance the 2014 will be warrantied and need oil changes for the first 5+ years. Not to mention I have only found 2 SR500's for sale within 500 miles of me in the last 5 years and both had asking prices of 3500-4K

You're absolutely correct. That old riding a slow bike fast or a fast bike slow. My Aprilia is worthless in city traffic, and unfortunately it is socially unacceptable to wheelie between every traffic light. The Triumph is my commuter for many of the reasons you state. I rode the Ape this a.m. an at 104 miles an hour it wasn't even breathing, just loafing along. I hope this bike comes as a 500 or even better a twin of a certain size, get in on some of the "old school" that seems to be making Triumph plenty of $ on... A F.I. XS650 standard... A guy can dream, can't he...

I'm an old Yamaha guy, and really like the look. It's hard to distinguish from the original SR. Definitely a market for them, even at that price. Myself, I'd like to see a "retro" XS-11, much like Honda's CB1100. A nice big inline four w/shaft drive and UJM ergos - tank/bars/seat.

Back
Top Bottom